Do you dread eating out now?

Options

Replies

• lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I somewhat dread it. It means I will need to sacrifice more on other days in order to accommodate the questionable calories I consume. I'm also terrible at making good healthy low fat choices when presented with some of my favorite foods. It's much easier to behave when it's up to me to do the cooking. I am much better though at eating a smaller portion of whatever I order.

One of the things I decided when I started this weight loss journey was to find a way to lose weight while living the life I want to live, so ultimately there are going to be restaurant nights so I have to learn how to balance that with healthy eating. So far so good!
  • clairey3083
    Options
    definantly not!!! i have lost 36 lbs in 5 months and i eat out at least 3-4-5 times a week!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    We still go out twice a month or something. I like it. I just try and stick to the healthiest thing, or close, and guess. Sometimes I got bad surprises where I added everything I ate and it was like 800 calories, but live and learn, lol. Once I didn't eat my sandwich because it was covered in butter too... but otherwise I guess you learn to avoid the really bad stuff (sauces, creams, fried etc).
  • Wrxsti23
    Options
    I feel the same in some ways. I went out to eat for dinner at a nice restaurant on Saturday and worked out that morning in order to stay within my calorie range for the day. The menu said this steak dinner would have 490 calories. It was supposed to be a 5 ounce sirloin with some jasmine rice and vegetable medley. Well when i get the steak it ends up being a 10 ounce piece that obviously had a butter onion type of sauce on it and I was just so mad. I had a "diva" moment and i know they thought I was crazy but in the end they took the steak back and cut it in half for me just so i wouldn't have to deal with it. Apparently no one in the place knows their own menu because they all didn't realize this was a menu item. It was just not a pleasant experience and those are the things I dread.

Call me stupid, ignorant or naive, but I thought that was why God invented "to go" boxes. :huh:
    I agree

the fCK is wrong with you that you send back 10 oz of steak- seriously that boggles my brain- does your steak knife not work? cut it and take it home.

I measure ALL my meats foods at home to prep- I have a pretty good idea of what 5 oz is- so if I either add 10 oz to my day- or I cut it in half and take it home with me.
    I don't understand the diva freak out?

you literally just threw money away. that to me would warrant some sort of something. that's too much IMO. it's one thing to be aware and do your best- it's another to send food back for something you could have solved yourself.

And no- I don't hate eating out- I know what I'm eating- it's pretty much the same thing I eat at home. I run a conservative estimate on my activity level- and a generous helping of my food- so I'm alway safe. If I'm going out- I do my best and let it go.

If it's something specific- I specifally ask for it a certain way (IHOP omlettes- I make them make it not as an omlette but as scrambled eggs with the veggies in them- the way I make them at home- cuts out the pancake batter- and it's back down to 300 calories that I eat for breakfast every day)

- seriously. I don't understand what the crisis is.

I didn't pay for a 10 ounce steak. I ordered a 5 ounce and wanted a 5 ounce and ate a 5 ounce. They gave me a steak that was different from the one that I saw nutritional info on. It was covered in some "sauce" that I had no idea what was in it. I do not need to take half of it for the next day because I do not want restaurant food every day and do not even know how many calories to log for it. The point was I ordered a 490 calorie meal and they gave me over 1000. I only wanted what I ordered why is that so difficult for them to do? I didn't make them re cook a steak for me, I just had them remove the temptation and I didn't want to deal with it after that night.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Then they didn't bring you the correct food if it wasn't what you ordered then you should have sent it back for what you wanted. or you ordered wrong and just didn't read it right- it lists what is on it - marinade- glaze- sauce- whatever.

But sending something back because it was too big? I'll never understand that.

Give it to me- I can eat 3 ten oz steaks and be completely happy. And if you were willing to eat it Monday night- then it's good for the goose- ti's good for the gander- it's fine on Tuesday.

it just does not make sense to me. i'd feed it to my dog before I threw it out. steak is steak though. if you didn't like the order- just don't eat it all.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I didn't pay for a 10 ounce steak. I ordered a 5 ounce and wanted a 5 ounce and ate a 5 ounce. They gave me a steak that was different from the one that I saw nutritional info on. It was covered in some "sauce" that I had no idea what was in it. I do not need to take half of it for the next day because I do not want restaurant food every day and do not even know how many calories to log for it. The point was I ordered a 490 calorie meal and they gave me over 1000. I only wanted what I ordered why is that so difficult for them to do? I didn't make them re cook a steak for me, I just had them remove the temptation and I didn't want to deal with it after that night.

As a former waitress, the 5oz you got back probably would have been sneezed on.

Lawl. JK. I never sneezed on anyone's food. Thought about it! But never did it.

I do think you need to unclench just a little bit, though. A better option would have been to leave the rest of the steak on the plate. Or eat the whole thing. Honestly, there are worse things you could eat. And that one single meal would absolutely not undo all the work you had done. Promise. Don't let the food control you!
  • JoRocka
    Options

I do think you need to unclench just a little bit, though. A better option would have been to leave the rest of the steak on the plate. Or eat the whole thing. Honestly, there are worse things you could eat. And that one single meal would absolutely not undo all the work you had done. Promise. Don't let the food control you!

my brother's a chef- and I bet from what he has told me - his waiters would have done that.

apparently Waiting while over the top- isn't THAT inaccurate about some of the things that go on behind the scenes.

I always try to be as clear concise and easy going as possible and while I may give negative feed back- I rarely return food- and I never complain- I'll merely make a statement as an 'FYI' this isn't as described or it's x,y and z, just for future reference- but i'm happy to eat it and I have no expectations on compensation" I do NOT patronize the people who bring me my food- i try to be funny and bring some levity to their night- and just be the least amount of hassle as possible- the only time I send my food back is if the steak is either too tough to eat- like it's got to be a metorite (I like mine medium rare)... like charcoal- I'll absolutely eat a well done steak- I hate it- and I'll tell them but I won't send it back.... or if it's wildly UNDER done- like PURPLE- I'll have them send it back. And if it's the completely wrong order.. I'll typically say something. but yeah- do NOT mess with people who bring you food.
  • Wrxsti23
    Options

my brother's a chef- and I bet from what he has told me - his waiters would have done that.

apparently Waiting while over the top- isn't THAT inaccurate about some of the things that go on behind the scenes.

I always try to be as clear concise and easy going as possible and while I may give negative feed back- I rarely return food- and I never complain- I'll merely make a statement as an 'FYI' this isn't as described or it's x,y and z, just for future reference- but i'm happy to eat it and I have no expectations on compensation" I do NOT patronize the people who bring me my food- i try to be funny and bring some levity to their night- and just be the least amount of hassle as possible- the only time I send my food back is if the steak is either too tough to eat- like it's got to be a metorite (I like mine medium rare)... like charcoal- I'll absolutely eat a well done steak- I hate it- and I'll tell them but I won't send it back.... or if it's wildly UNDER done- like PURPLE- I'll have them send it back. And if it's the completely wrong order.. I'll typically say something. but yeah- do NOT mess with people who bring you food.

I used to be a waitress at Applebees so I know how it can get but I was at a nice restauarant where the kitchen is out in the open so you can see what goes on. I NEVER return my food either which is why i said i was acting like a diva. I just began my weight loss journey only 2 weeks ago and just cannot control my temptations yet if they are placed in front of me. I know I will get to the point where I can just box up the rest but some people on MFP like myself just started and still have food issues. I brought it up the first place because I didn't order a 10 ounce nor did I want to pay the $30 for it just so I could have half the next day. This is all a learning process for me right now and I'm trying to change all of my bad habits which includes overeating just because it's in front of my face.

Also I ordered the right steak but the waitress took the order down wrong so when i mentioned it was wrong she said it was pretty much the same steak i ordered but just a larger portion although both steaks had 2 different descriptions so I doubt that was true. Instead of making them re-make me a steak without the glaze on top i just had them cut it into the portion size that I wanted.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have become so obsessive with weighing and measuring and portions, my cals/macros, etc. that when I am invited to go out for lunch I just hate it, becasue I can't calculate it with my method.

You don't sound insane, but you do sound like you have developed OCD eating habits. I also struggled with this as well for a long time (weighing, macros, calories, everything had to be exact). It started to consume me and I knew it was an unhealthy relationship with food. Food should be enjoyed. Especially going out....especially if you don't do it often.

I highly recommend reading this eBook by Nia Shanks: http://www.niashanks.com/sane-and-simple-nutrition-guide/ . Scroll down to order and download. At the very least, read the accompanying article.

I wish you the best and hope you can break free of this. :heart:
  • girlwithdog13
    Options
    I agree with many of the posters. Sometimes it's impossible to calculate what you've eaten, and you know you're over your limit anyways. You also can't stop living. Enjoying the experience is part of it for me. And I don't always like to order something I can easily make at home, either.

Often my boyfriend and I will split a starter and an entree. That way we can feel less guilty because we're attempting to incorporate portion control. Also might leave some extra calories for a glass of wine or a beer ;)
  • Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I literally panic when people ask me out for dinner, or lunch. I seem to be finding more and more copout ways to get out of going out with people. It KILLS my social life.

Honestly, I'd rather be crazy knowing exactly what is going into my body than to be too lenient, by going out for lunch, and dinner all the time and not care at all.

There's nothing wrong with caring. :)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I know what you mean. I literally panic when people ask me out for dinner, or lunch. I seem to be finding more and more copout ways to get out of going out with people. It KILLS my social life.

Honestly, I'd rather be crazy knowing exactly what is going into my body than to be too lenient, by going out for lunch, and dinner all the time and not care at all.

There's nothing wrong with caring. :)

caring is one thing.

panic when people ask you out is another. it isn't that big of a deal. you need to learn how to have a HEALTHY relationship with food- so you CAN go out and not beat yourself up or panic over it.

that's not good. food is just food. learn to balance it my friends- I realize eating out is a thing- but I eat out easily 2-3 times a week.. and I am fine- many other people are fine.

That's NOT a good way to go through life. you need to learn how to balance that out- it's not a good road to be headed down.
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Nope. I read somewhere that, in general, you can have booze OR bread OR an appetizer OR dessert, and I follow that guideline. I also pay extra attention to make sure I quit eating when I'm full, which usually translates to leaving about half my entree on my plate or taking it home. I don't love getting the side salad instead of fries, but that's a pretty minor complaint as things go.

Basically I'm trying to approach this as a lifestyle change, and my lifestyle includes going out to dinner once in a while. I want to enjoy it, not spend the whole night bent miserably over a dry salad.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I hate eating out. They seem to do their best to give you the grossest food, in the hugest portions, filled with as many calories and salt as possible, at moderate prices.

It's not worth it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. For the most part, I don't find restaurant food to be worth the money or the calories (although I'm off to New Orleans tomorrow, and the food there IS worth it).
  • JoRocka
    Options
    not having to clean up? not having to feel bad that my BF is cleaning up?

totally worth the 35-40 bucks.

we eat at a lot of steak houses. so yep- no shame here. I eat a lot more variety than he does- but we always go where they have steak- because it's what he wants.

9/10 we always both order steak.

it's worth it to go out and not be bothered with cleaning.
  • karmahead
    karmahead Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean -- it's hard not to know what I'm eating. Sometimes you can tell what is more healthy but you still don't know how many calories it is. It's also really hard when I go for a Chinese meal where we get 8 (!) different kinds of dishes to share and I have to keep track of everything. But I just try really hard to listen to my stomach and stop when I'm full.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i love eating out ;p
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't eat at certain places anymore, like Freddies, taco bell, any buffet places. I do eat at others though and as long as I can look up their nutrition information and it can be lower carb and relatively lower calorie. I eat a protein like salmon, grilled steak or chicken and then my sides are just veggies. I eat broccoli, carrots, a baked plain sweet potato, things like that are my sides now. I also ask for them to take certain things off of the plate like the rice they place under things. I don't eat the appetizers, the bread, or the salads either. So it isn't stressful now. I am just used to where I can eat easily now or if not I just eat at home before or after that. I only get water with lemon as well for drinks now. So it does become habit. Rarely I will eat a grilled chicken sandwich or a 6 inch subway sandwich for a meal.
  • BurningAway
    Options
    I love it, eating out is like a trip to Disney World for me especially if i get to pick the place. :) LOVE THE FOODZ!
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I love eating out! I only do it occasionally with my husband, it's so infrequent that I enjoy it as a little indulgence.

I prefer ethnic foods or local fare rather than chains so logging is nearly impossible. But I try to do the common sense things (watch portions, avoid fried food, creamy or white sauces, too much alcohol, large desserts, I also like to consider seafood and vegetarian options.)

I enjoy genuinely good food but hate being hung over or feeling bloated, sluggish and heavy the next day. So I just try to find the enjoyable balance. :flowerforyou: