TOO MUCH PROTEIN!! REALLY?

Options
Is there a such thing and if so what could it affect?

Replies

• 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Its a macronutrient that's needed especially if you're trying lose fat not weight but, I doubt it but, Im no expert.
  • konrad96
    Options
    There is, over-consumption of protein can cause dehydration, seizures, constipation, diarrhea, weight gain (if in caloric surplus due to high amount of protein in diet) as well as increase in liver enzymes and a number of different side effects.

A sufficient amount of protein is 1 gram per 1 - 1.5 pounds of body weight.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The protein on MFP is a suggestion, not a limit.

The protein suggestion is pretty low, there is nothing wrong with going over it. In fact it helps most people feel fuller longer and makes sticking to a diet or "lifestyle change" easier.

Extreme athletes who eat a lot of protein may find their bodies are more acidic and may experience body pain from it, but for the average person, it isn't usually an issue.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    MFP does have the protein goal rather low, feel free to up it.
    1g/lb of lbm is good.

I don't remember the level of consumed protein that will affect the kidneys.
    I think I'd get too full before I hit that level haha
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine, it's pretty hard to hit a stupid high amount of protein. I do high protein and i barely ever reach my max.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    A sufficient amount of protein is 1 gram per 1 - 1.5 pounds of body weight.

I thought it was 1gram per LBM ex. MY LBM is 130.5 so I consume (or try) 130 grams of protein/day
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I thought it was 1gram per LBM ex. MY LBM is 130.5 so I consume (or try) 130 grams of protein/day

It depends, I eat about 1.5g per lb. So I get anywhere between 130-200g a day at 5'1 - 130lbs
    I like high protein, I'm sure I'd be fine with less or even more but I feel comfortable with that amount.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    If you have any kidney/liver problems you should talk to your doc about protein intake. I think the general recommendation is that protein should make up 20-30% of your intake- and that's not taking into consideration if you're trying to lose weight or not.
  • shabrick00
    shabrick00 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. The reason I asked the question is because any time I see red number on MFP i get nervous and immediately begin to think I have done something wrong. My protein left for the day is at 0. Although I have not eaten lunch or dinner but it is becasue I plan what I am going to eat and plug it in before I do it. So I saw the 0 at protein and was like holy cow I have to watch that.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing.. I've went over my protein a few times.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. The reason I asked the question is because any time I see red number on MFP i get nervous and immediately begin to think I have done something wrong. My protein left for the day is at 0. Although I have not eaten lunch or dinner but it is becasue I plan what I am going to eat and plug it in before I do it. So I saw the 0 at protein and was like holy cow I have to watch that.
    As others have said, MFP has it pretty low. Assuming you are healthy you could up it to 30% easily. I have mine set (not popular here) at 30%c/40p/30%f when I'm counting calories.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I looked at your diary, and you could easily double your protein goal and be just fine. Actually, doubling it would be a very good thing. :)
  • shabrick00
    Options

I looked at your diary, and you could easily double your protein goal and be just fine. Actually, doubling it would be a very good thing. :)
    thanks for checking that out! :-)
  • Popsing
    Popsing Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    PLEASE don't ever worry about seeing RED on MFP unless it's calories and it's more often than not. I upped my protein percentage to 30% because I am married to a lifelong body builder (who only has one working kidney by the way) and he has made me see the light about protein. I mention only one kidney because an overconsumption of protein which spills into the urine is a cause for concern, and he's quite healthy and fit at 58. I still eat less protein than he does, but I've also learned the value of eating lots of whole eggs as opposed to just the whites, and eating red meat on occasion. As long as you're under your calorie max and are meeting the bulk of your nutritional needs, the weight will come off and you'll feel great.

39534031.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING can be too much. There is always a limit. There is water intoxication (when you drink to much water), even oxygen can do damage in very high concentration.

You cannot consume anything in any amount.

It's a quantifiable thing. There is always a too much and a too little.

The question is when we are talking about too much protein.
    If you are like Henric the Eight consuming 7000 calories a day of meat (veggies were for the poot, dammit), yes, you get sick (and fat) from too much protein. There is gout, scurvy and many other diseases caused by eating too much protein. And many others caused by being fat.
    If you are a 25 years man doing body building, eating 2500-3000 calories a day, all mainly from protein... you may be healthy as ever.

The thing is that while on a diet, with restrictive calories, is hard to have to much of anything, not to mention proteins.

Moderation is always the key. You can eat lots of proteins, but if your body requires all of them, that's great. But don't forget that your body needs also an ammount of carbs and fat to function properly.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    There is but it is very very hard to hit that. generally if you go over a certain amount, you and you have a good workout, you sweat will start to smell like cat pi$$.
  • shabrick00
    Options
    There is but it is very very hard to hit that. generally if you go over a certain amount, you and you have a good workout, you sweat will start to smell like cat pi$$.
    OH MY!!
  • LYNN8SUPERSTARZS
    LYNN8SUPERSTARZS Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The biggest thng i watch on mfp is carbs, sodium and sugar:smile:
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and protein numbers look good. You body need o.5 to 1 gram per pound of body weight. Eating that requirement of protein will help you lose fat rather than muscle.

I will suggest cutting the sodium and adding some foods high in potassium to help flush water weight. Looks like you keep carbs in a good range as MFP sets them what many consider high.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It's lean mass, not total body weight. Otherwise, you'd have people weighing 300 lbs consuming 300 grams of protein which would be quite excessive for their needs as well as expensive. Thus lean mass is a more appropriate guideline.

To answer your question, it is possible to have too much. However, it isn't plausible in the real world considering how filling protein is in large amounts combined with the fact you are consuming calories from carbs and fats as well which affect overall satiety.

For instance, I maintain at 2900 calories. To study the effects of a maximum intake of protein, I'd have to consume a liquid diet practically void of carbs and fats. This translates to consuming 725 grams of protein. As I mentioned above, protein is quite filling and I strongly doubt that I'd manage to get close to that amount before reaching satiety.