Protein

Options
lfrazza
lfrazza Posts: 14 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Everything I've read about loosing weight talks about the importance of protein with every meal. I always am over in my protein for the day even when I eat just 3 oz. portions. I'm over already today and all I've had is 6oz. milk, 3oz. grilled chicken, and 3 1/2 oz. of Greek yogurt

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    MFP sets the target for protein too low. Depending on your exercise activity a target between .5g and 1g/per lb. of bodyweight is appropriate.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly

You also want to double check numbers on things as some items are not accurate. Pretty safe to say 3 oz of chicken do not have 60 grams of protein or least not the chicken eat. My 3 oz has 16 grams just so you can see the difference in the numbers.
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Definitely the chicken protein number is way too high...
  • sepulchura
    sepulchura Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am often way up there or a bit over on my protein intake, I've never worried about it. MFP is a great web site and a great community, but you'll find you are better off digging in and really finding out what works for you as far as how much protein, how little sugar, etc. The settings on these things have NEVER made sense to me, but I still love using the website to monitor what I do.

It's like any tool, use it to fit the situation.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    That chicken protein count is wicked high. The 121 grams of cooked (roasted) skinless chicken in my lunch salad, with data pulled from the USDA, is only 38 grams of protein.

Otherwise, I wouldn't fret too much over protein being over. There are rare cases where high protein can throw liver enzymes out of whack (before anyone screams "BROSCIENCE!" uh...I'll raise my hand. I eat high protein amounts, typically in the 160-180g range. My enzymes always come back high. When I cut back on protein, they always drop back to "normal." with no other causes the doctors can identify). But, like I said, that's rare.
  • lfrazza
    lfrazza Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    protein is your friend. i use mfp numbers for protein as a minimum.
This discussion has been closed.