When you feel ill

Options
Just a little survey, I am curious if you work out when you feel a little down due to an illness. I'm having that contemplation right now with the sniffles, but the option to attend a new (and free) yoga class.

What do you do if you feel ill, rest or work out? I've read that rest is better and that light workout is better. There doesn't seem to be a happy consensus (of course, there doesn't seem to be a happy consensus on hardly anything health/fitness related).

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Depends how ill. With sniffles or mild colds I still work out. Fever or vomiting, I definately don't.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I follow the neck up rule, however if I am going to be sniffling in a yoga class, I wouldn't go. No need to possibly get others sick just so you can try something.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I have a cough right now, not much else, maybe a small case of the sniffles and sneezies, but feel fine otherwise and it's killing me, but I am not going to go to the gym and cough and sneeze everywhere spreading my sickness..lol.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Just a little survey, I am curious if you work out when you feel a little down due to an illness. I'm having that contemplation right now with the sniffles, but the option to attend a new (and free) yoga class.

What do you do if you feel ill, rest or work out? I've read that rest is better and that light workout is better. There doesn't seem to be a happy consensus (of course, there doesn't seem to be a happy consensus on hardly anything health/fitness related).

I alter my workouts depending on what my problem is. If it's something contagious, I wouldn't subject anyone else to that by going to the gym. I generally try to do some kind of workout if I feel sick though, even if it's something as simple as arm circles or jumping jacks for a few minutes.
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    I did end up running, but lightly, and outdoors on a trail where I ended up not coming across anyone. I will do the same today. Still ill, but I have the rest of the week, weekend, and Mon off so I will finally have some recover time, yay!