Old Topic by Old Lady

Options
Please help to teach an old dog, some new tricks!!!!!

I am still working with this mentality that I need to eat more to lose weight, now that I am exercising 5/6 days a week, and getting ready to add strength training to my routine, so I suppose I will have to make more adjustments. My question is: I can't seem to make the 2000 calorie mark which is what is suggested to me on all sites. I tend to stay around 1700/1800 mark. If I eat unhealthily, I can reach that mark, but not not trying to do that. I would like some suggestions, maybe adding a protein shake to my breakfast, and if I have protein shakes, how many can I have in one day. I don't eat alot for dinner, because I tend to eat dinner so late in the evening.

Please bear in mind that I have IBS, am pre-diabetic and have high blood pressure, so I have limits on what I can add to my diet.

Thanking you in advance for your help!

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

If you are exercising 5/6 days a week, maybe you can take your own protein shake.

There is a brand that uses Stevia: Jay Robb.
    I am not selling anything. My brother is diabetic and he uses this brand. I prefer another brand of whey protein isolate.

I prepare my protein shake with

whey protein isolate in a blender, 1 teaspoon peanut butter , skim milk and a banana. You can use any fruit you like. I just remember banana is high glycemic for diabetic, sorry
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    I tend to eat 1 banana a day for potassium, even though I probably shouldn't. But, with my meds, I need to keep that level intact. Skim milk, may be a problem for me also, as I am lactose intolerant. But, having my own shakes to supplement my calorie intake, may be the best route for me. Just gotta be careful with the ingredients! Thank you very much!
  • Straitlover1965
    Straitlover1965 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You can use almond or soy milk in place of the skim milk.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb's 100% whey protein vanilla. It's great! I use unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk, add half a banana for thickness, a handful of ice cubes to make it cold, and then mix in the flavor - crystal light or coffee, or whatever you want.

Sourced from grass fed cows not treated with rBGH (Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone)
    25 grams of protein per serving!
    Lactose-Free
    Non-GMO (made with lecithin from Non-GMO sunflower seeds)
    Gluten-free ingredients
    No fat, No cholesterol
    No sugar, No aspartame
    No artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners
    No casein, No MSG
    Made with stevia

It's got 110 calories per serving plus whatever you add to it.
  • mineownself
    Options
    I suffer too from IBS and have a huge shake after each workout, its about 350 calories.

i use:

Natural factors unflavored unsweetened High protein whey powder
    1.5c almond milk
    1 banana
    handful of spinach
    half a small beet
    juice from 1/2 lime
    1 cup frozen berries.

This is from the PINK eating plan, which i originally lost 30 lbs on.
    I don't juice, I use a Ninja blender.

Its sounds yukky with the spinach and beets, but you DO NOT taste them, and for the IBS, the fibre is very helpful

Good luck on your journey.
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I will give them a whirl and see what happens.