Weight Gain after Stopping Blood Pressure Medicine

Options
After my physical about 2.5 weeks ago, I was given permission by my doctor to stop taking my blood pressure medicine (yay, NSV for me!) but I've noticed a slight increase in weight over the last couple of weeks. I'm still logging and faithfully exercising...trying to figure out why my weight is trending upwards. Last night I realized that my weight gain started roughly around the same time as stopping the meds. It may not be the reason but I was curious to know if anyone else noticed a weight gain after stopping blood pressure meds?

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Your blood pressure tablets are also known as water tablets, by removing excess fluids they lower blood pressure so water retention is the likely cause it will even itself out waters not so bad!
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    Your blood pressure tablets are also known as water tablets, by removing excess fluids they lower blood pressure so water retention is the likely cause it will even itself out waters not so bad!

This :)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Not all BP meds work that way, ACE inhibitors for example. She didn't say what she was taking, but yours is a good guess...
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I was taking Losartan. I haven't noticed any water retention and hopefully that's all it is. I sure wish my body would adjust. Seeing the scale trending upwards is frustrating!
  • lucan07
    Options
    Not all BP meds work that way, ACE inhibitors for example. She didn't say what she was taking, but yours is a good guess...

ACE Inhibitors are usually associated with Hypertension or Heart failure and given in conjunction with other meds like Beta Blockers, Nitrate, Calcium blocker etc, I did make the assumption doctor would not let her make the decision on those!
  • lucan07
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I was taking Losartan. I haven't noticed any water retention and hopefully that's all it is. I sure wish my body would adjust. Seeing the scale trending upwards is frustrating!

Better the little weight from water than taking a drug you do not need.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    That's an ARB and is apparently potassium sparing so maybe it's just your electrolytes coming back into balance. They don't appear to be diuretics.
    Good luck.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That's an ARB and is apparently potassium sparing so maybe it's just your electrolytes coming back into balance. They don't appear to be diuretics.
    Good luck.

This ^^ It's not a diuretic like some BP meds, but it could still be water weight. If it increases, talk to your doctor as the added weight (water or other) could drive your BP back up.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Good luck.

This ^^ It's not a diuretic like some BP meds, but it could still be water weight. If it increases, talk to your doctor as the added weight (water or other) could drive your BP back up.

Yes, thank you :) She advised me to self monitor my bp so I purchased a machine to do so. I definitely prefer a little water weight over needed medicine!
  • AndreaRJG
    Options
    I am right there with you! I have been off my meds for a 6 weeks and I'm up 6 lbs. Nothing in my diet/ lifestyle has changed. I worked hard to get where I was, and stayed there through 4 yrs. Going off the meds seems to have really messed up my system. I'm drinking tons of water and exercising more but nothings working yet. Now we are going into the holidays and I'm scared.
    Ugh!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It works itself out if it's just water and your BP is OK. I gained from coming off of spironolactone. I think I weighed less while taking it, though. I'm glad I stopped it; mine was just for hirsutism! Nothing related to BP or heart stuff at all.