What if no one will notice?

Next week I'm going to see a lot of people that I haven't seen in a couple of months. Throughout this time I've lost 12 lbs, and honestly, I'm scared no one will notice.
I've worked so hard to get these results, but I'm not done yet, and I'm nervous that if people won't notice I'll become completely unmotivated and won't have as much will power to continue.

Any advice?

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    How tall are you? I have noticed that on taller people, 12 pounds may not make much of a difference visually, but on a shorter person, it can look like a much bigger difference.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Are you doing this for them, or for you?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Are you losing weight for yourself and your health, or so other people will notice?

Maybe they will and maybe they won't notice your loss. What people do notice is when people look happy and confident. If you feel good, you'll look good, and that's what people will notice.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Who gives a rats rear end what others think? Are you doing this for THEM or for YOU?
    I wouldn't worry about it.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Are you losing weight for you, or other people? If it's for yourself, you shouldn't care who notices or doesn't. If it's for other people, then that's the wrong reason to do it.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    You need to seriously rethink why you are losing weight and find a more worthy motivation than just receiving complements from others.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    They are a lot more likely to notice than those that see you daily, so if any of those have noticed you have no worries!
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Even if they DO notice, they might not feel comfortable bringing it up. I wouldn't be upset if nobody mentions it- do this for YOU.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member

Was going to say the same thing
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    I would agree with the other posts: Ask yourself if you're doing this for you or for other people. That being said, I would totally get a flattering outfit that fits and rock it!! Whether or not they notice your weight loss is irrelevant. They will notice your confidence and attitude, which count for so much more than the number on the scale. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    They'll probably be too busy being worried about whether they should say something, or not.
    For every person that gets uptight because others' DON'T mention their weight loss, there's another getting uptight over those who DO mention it (thinking they're criticising their previous state).

Don't project your own insecurities on your friends.
    If you want compliments, bring it up yourself, they'll be sure to ooh and aah with you.
  • Noamsh
    Noamsh Posts: 79 Member
    I'm losing weight for me, and only me.
    And I know I shouldn't care, but when you see people you haven't seen in awhile and you feel like you're a little bit different, you want them to see that too.

When I started this thread I really didn't think I'll have to defend myself or my weight lose.
    I have been motivating myself, and I don't rely on other people, I guess I just don't see any harm with wanting people to notice.

Thanks anyway everyone, especially the ones who have been supportive and helpful!! =]
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Don't let anybody else determine your value, your self esteem should not be tied to what anybody else may say

you know you have been trying and losing... that's all that matters really
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Depending on how much you weigh, they may not notice. Be prepared for that, and everyone else is right - you aren't doing this for the accolades. Do it for you!

I'm pretty fat and it took about 30 pounds for anyone to ask if I had lost some weight.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member

Was going to say the same thing

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm 5'2" (if I round up) and I lost 30 lbs and hardly anyone noticed. Don't get discouraged if they don't notice; you're not doing this for other people, you're doing this for yourself!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I'm losing weight for me, and only me.
    And I know I shouldn't care, but when you see people you haven't seen in awhile and you feel like you're a little bit different, you want them to see that too.

I guess I just don't see any harm with wanting people to notice.

You're doing it for you - good. And there's nothing wrong with wanting others to notice.

But, since you're doing it for yourself, don't use what others say (or don't say) as either motivation or an excuse. If you want it, that's all the motivation you should need.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I would just say something like, " I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable, but I would just like to address the elephant in the room by making the obvious statement that yes, I look fabulous! Please don't make a big deal because you guys know I embarrass easily." And everyone would probably roll their eyes. But people close to me are fully aware that this is my sense of humor, so I am not sure how your friends would react. I personally find it hilarious though. Lol :) just have fun and be happy about your hard work and personal accomplishments.
  • Now we're not being honest. We all do it for them with the exception of maybe health reasons but most of us are doing it for all of them.....
    If I really didn't care what others thought and I was healthy.....I'd be fat and happy
    Society marketing driven
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    I am 5'3" and no one noticed until I lost 20 lbs. Then they really noticed.

I told some of my close supportive friends that I was losing weight and showed them how much extra room there was in my waistband. I got positive reinforcement from them.

I'll go on to say that at 25 lbs, people I barely knew would stop me to tell me I looked great.

So don't get discouraged if they don't notice 12 lbs. If you don't tell them, they probably won't notice.

Do think about telling a few supportive friends that will give you great support.

Best of luck!!!
  • annadchang
    annadchang Posts: 60 Member
    I am in the same boat. Before starting this, I had only lost about 6lbs and only one person noticed at work. Granted I see these people almost everyday, but sometimes it would be nice to hear "hey you look great" or the genertic "have you lost weight"? Every woman loves to hear that even if they are not even trying. I hope your co-workers are more observant than mine. Let us know how it went.