Building strength with bodyweight/dumbells?

Options
Hi all,

I'd like some advice on building strength with bodyweight exercises and dumbells. I'm not what folks here would consider serious about lifting --- there are some constraints on what I'm willing to do that probably limit what's possible, but I'd like to get a little stronger.

My constraints:

- Don't much want to join a gym. I run or do a little lifting every day, and that works for me right now.
- Don't have much space. Moved to a tiny condo a couple of years ago and had to sell my Olympic bench, barbells and plates.
- I've had a couple of shoulder injuries in the past, and every time I've tried to lift heavy, I've reinjured my shoulder.
- Ditto with squats and my knees, which have many thousands of running miles on them and can be gimpy.

Currently have various dumbells (10, 25, 30, 35, 45), some bands and a chinup bar. I typically work out every other day with something like

3-4 sets of pushups --- something like 40, 40, 20, 10.
3 sets of chinups/pullups alternating --- something like 14, 12, 10, 8.
3 sets of overhead press w/30# dumbells -- 10 reps. (This is hard for me)
3 sets of 10 deadlifts or squats (usually alternate) - just started these, using 2 45# dumbells. Doesn't feel heavy, but worry that I'll feel these in my knees.
2 sets of 15 reps bent over rowing w/45# dumbells.
2 sets of 12 reps bicep curls w/30# dumbells

I'd like to build up squats/deadlifts but not sure how given constraints. I'd also like to up pushup and chinup count, and generally to be stronger. If it matters, I'm 46, about 6'2" and 180 lbs.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bump. Anybody?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Try doing more difficult push up variations.
    Can you do dips?
    Weighted pull ups or chest to bar pull ups or other more difficult variations.
    Some other leg suggestions, Bulgarian split squats, Romanian dead lifts, skater & pistol squats.
  • mreichard
    Options
    Thanks, I'll look some of these up. I forgot to mention --- I occasionally do dips (max of about 10 per set), but they tweak my shoulder. For now, I'm trying to do the same thing with bands over the chinup bar, but it's tough to get much weight.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You may also want to get a set of rings. They can be set up hanging from your pull up bar. It makes push ups & dips WAY harder, but they shouldnt bother your shoulder. regular dips also bother my left shoulder, but I have not had any issuses since doing them on rings. PLus you can also do inverted rows and other things with them.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Bulgarian squats are a good option if you only have DBs. TBH I hate them. :laugh:

For deads, RDLs as above. I do them because I do DLs and squats on the same day at a gym I use.
  • mreichard
    Options
    Thanks guys. Ordered some rings, and will start Bulgarian squats. Not sure I understand the RDLs, but will watch some more videos on them.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    building strength comes with doing overload with increasing resistance. You get some beginner strength gains with high rep stuff, but doing more than 15 reps will really only help with endurance long term, and not build strength.

look into finding new movement patterns to make your bodyweight resistance more difficult rather than increasing reps if your goal is strength gain.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Check out this page: http://www.fitness666.com/p/exercise-progressions.html

It's all bodyweight progressions starting with easiest forms to more complex forms that will increase resistance and add strength.