Artificial sweeteners?

Options
Yay or nay?
And if not, why not?

Wanting to know a little more, so if someone has facts for me- or can point me in the direction of some- that would be helpful.

Thanks

Replies

• ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    I use them all the time. Haven't killed me yet . .
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic so I use sweeteners in my coffee and I drink Diet soda. I'm also a Dietitian. Most of the research that had come out in the past about linking sweeteners to cancer are not viable for the general population. The amount of the straight chemicals from the sweeteners into itty bitty mice/rats are pretty close to unobtainable in a normal persons diet.

The type of sweetener is a person preference. For more natural option look at Truvia (green) or even buying a Stevia plant, Splenda (yellow) which is just the flip of the glucose molecule so it does not get digested. I prefer Equal (blue) myself. then you also have sweet n low (pink)

This is some information on Aspartame that is commonly mistaken.

1)Reports of the ingestion of aspartame in patients who later have suffered MS or systemic Lupus is not scientifically sustainable evidence that aspartame is responsible for the occurrence of the disease. Both of these disorders are subject to spontaneous remissions and exacerbations so it’s entirely possible that when a patient stopped using aspartame they might have also coincidentally have had remission of their symptoms.
    2) The claim that aspartame ingestions results in the production of methanol, formaldehyde and formate are factual. In the Intestinal tract aspartame is hydrolyzed to one of its component materials, methanol, as well as the 2 amino acids phenylalanine and aspartic acid. This methanol is taken up by the cells of the body and metabolized first to formaldehyde the to formate. They key information missing is that the levels of ingestion are very modest. In fact, there are other foodstuffs that we ingest that supply as much and sometimes more methanol—citrus fruits & juices, tomatoes, or tomato juice. There are even higher quantities of methanol ingested when ethanol (alcohol) is consumed.
    3) The claim that phenylalanine and aspartic acid have neurotoxin effects is true in certain individuals in high enough doses. The only sub-population of individuals potentially susceptible to adverse effects from phenylalanine is homozygous phenylketonuric and in this case food itself with much higher levels of phenylalanine from the protein in our diets contributes much higher toxicity for these unfortunate individuals. The USFDA requires that the aspartame product be labeled specially for phenylketonuric patients so that they will be aware of the presence in the product. As for Aspartic Acid-the amount ingested from aspartame are many fold less than those levels responsible for causing adverse effects on the brain of animals or man.
    4) There have been numerous studies done on both animals and humans for the link of aspartame and seizures. In studies done with those adults & children with pre-existing seizures, there was no evidence of contributing to the frequency of occurrence or severity of seizures.
    5) There was no evidence among the comprehensive studies that aspartame-mediated effects on the experimental animals at doses many times higher than those to which the human population is exposed.
    6) The claim that aspartame can increase the incidence of brain tumors in the human population has been thoroughly refuted by both government and academic scientists.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    It's fine. It's the most heavily researched food additive, ever.

Aspartame:
    http://andevidencelibrary.com/topic.cfm?cat=4089

http://andevidencelibrary.com/topic.cfm?cat=4100
  • wallacehk
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • ChanceyRose
    Options
    My personal experience: aspartame use leads to debilitating migraines in me. Half a can of aspartame sweetened diet soda is all it takes. Therefore, I do not use aspartame. I have not had reactions to small amounts of sucralose or saccharine. The powdered form of stevia also seems to be okay.

Other than aspartame, I choose not to use the others because I don't like the taste. I'd rather drink my coffee and tea unsweetened. I eat my yogurt plain with a little fruit. I don't typically drink soda. If I choose to indulge, I prefer to eat the same stuff my great-grandmother would have eaten.
  • shawnakrebs
    shawnakrebs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda Essentials with Fiber in my coffee to cut down on the amount of creamer I put in. I love it. :)
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    only time i have artificial sweeteners is with my Coffee Mate Sugar Free French Vanilla liquid coffee creamer with my morning coffee every day. i buy the "sugar free" just to save on calories. i make my coffee super rich, seriously, it's almost like mud, so i use more creamer than the "1 tbs" serving size. i usually use 5 tbs in my morning mug of joe.

i also have the *occasional* diet soda. occasional being maybe 1 per week. again, just to save calories.

i haven't died. yet.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Not for me. Rather use less of the real stuff.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I like it generally, just need a lot less than regular sugar otherwise the taste can be too much!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options

me too
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    They will all cause horrible neurological problems with long term use.

I use splenda a lot and drink aspartame when the mood hits me :bigsmile:
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've used all different types with no ill effects
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

This is me all day.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    My husband made me stop eating or drinking stuff with aspartame and sucralose. He saw one of his clients that happens to be a doctor and they were just chit chatting. The topic of artificial sweeteners came up and I guess the doctor told him that a majority of his patients that have cancer or major health issues drink diet soda. It seems to be super common theme. He cant say that is what has caused the problems but it is something that when he asks, almost all of them do.
    It makes you wonder.
    My husband came home and threw out my crystal light (I hardly ever drink soda) LOL! He told me that he wants me around for a long time and its not worth it to save a few calories.

Just a side note. Sucralose is treated with chlorine...Yup, that's what your eating and probably why it tastes so bad...
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm in favor, but only because I have horrid teeth from a bad combo of genetics and heavy antibiotics as a kid. So, sugar = pain. If I didn't have to do otherwise, I'd go for the real stuff.
  • aprilhopps
    Options
    I used to use them all the time... now i just use the real stuff... just less of it. My mom & everyone else kept telling me how bad they are...
  • wallacehk
    Options
    I'm in favor, but only because I have horrid teeth from a bad combo of genetics and heavy antibiotics as a kid. So, sugar = pain. If I didn't have to do otherwise, I'd go for the real stuff.

I have the same problem!
    I'm only having artificial sweetener once a day, in my protein shake. I've never been a fizzy drinker luckily
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Damn, I wouldn't want to be your client. A dietitian that endorses "food like products" that are treated with chlorine instead of real food. I am shocked.

I'm sorry but I believe the more we introduce these products, the sicker people get. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.
    Oh no. Chlorine. You know what else contains chlorine? Salt. Sodium chloride. Unfortunately that's essential.
    You are spreading untruths.
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic so I use sweeteners in my coffee and I drink Diet soda. I'm also a Dietitian. Most of the research that had come out in the past about linking sweeteners to cancer are not viable for the general population. The amount of the straight chemicals from the sweeteners into itty bitty mice/rats are pretty close to unobtainable in a normal persons diet.

The type of sweetener is a person preference. For more natural option look at Truvia (green) or even buying a Stevia plant, Splenda (yellow) which is just the flip of the glucose molecule so it does not get digested. I prefer Equal (blue) myself. then you also have sweet n low (pink)

This is some information on Aspartame that is commonly mistaken.

1)Reports of the ingestion of aspartame in patients who later have suffered MS or systemic Lupus is not scientifically sustainable evidence that aspartame is responsible for the occurrence of the disease. Both of these disorders are subject to spontaneous remissions and exacerbations so it’s entirely possible that when a patient stopped using aspartame they might have also coincidentally have had remission of their symptoms.
    2) The claim that aspartame ingestions results in the production of methanol, formaldehyde and formate are factual. In the Intestinal tract aspartame is hydrolyzed to one of its component materials, methanol, as well as the 2 amino acids phenylalanine and aspartic acid. This methanol is taken up by the cells of the body and metabolized first to formaldehyde the to formate. They key information missing is that the levels of ingestion are very modest. In fact, there are other foodstuffs that we ingest that supply as much and sometimes more methanol—citrus fruits & juices, tomatoes, or tomato juice. There are even higher quantities of methanol ingested when ethanol (alcohol) is consumed.
    3) The claim that phenylalanine and aspartic acid have neurotoxin effects is true in certain individuals in high enough doses. The only sub-population of individuals potentially susceptible to adverse effects from phenylalanine is homozygous phenylketonuric and in this case food itself with much higher levels of phenylalanine from the protein in our diets contributes much higher toxicity for these unfortunate individuals. The USFDA requires that the aspartame product be labeled specially for phenylketonuric patients so that they will be aware of the presence in the product. As for Aspartic Acid-the amount ingested from aspartame are many fold less than those levels responsible for causing adverse effects on the brain of animals or man.
    4) There have been numerous studies done on both animals and humans for the link of aspartame and seizures. In studies done with those adults & children with pre-existing seizures, there was no evidence of contributing to the frequency of occurrence or severity of seizures.
    5) There was no evidence among the comprehensive studies that aspartame-mediated effects on the experimental animals at doses many times higher than those to which the human population is exposed.
    6) The claim that aspartame can increase the incidence of brain tumors in the human population has been thoroughly refuted by both government and academic scientists.

Damn, I wouldn't want to be your client. A dietitian that endorses "food like products" that are treated with chlorine instead of real food. I am shocked.

I'm sorry but I believe the more we introduce these products, the sicker people get. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

I would be her client in a heartbeat. She's smart enough to understand that correlation does not imply causation, knows how to read actual studies (not just one doctor's anecdotal data), and isn't swayed by alarmism.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    My husband made me stop eating or drinking stuff with aspartame and sucralose. He saw one of his clients that happens to be a doctor and they were just chit chatting. The topic of artificial sweeteners came up and I guess the doctor told him that a majority of his patients that have cancer or major health issues drink diet soda. It seems to be super common theme. He cant say that is what has caused the problems but it is something that when he asks, almost all of them do.
    It makes you wonder.
    My husband came home and threw out my crystal light (I hardly ever drink soda) LOL! He told me that he wants me around for a long time and its not worth it to save a few calories.

Just a side note. Sucralose is treated with chlorine...Yup, that's what your eating and probably why it tastes so bad...

139092366_ce5b410228_o.jpg