Boys alternative to a doll house?

Options

Replies

• NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    We live in NYC apartment. There is no "outside". Outside are playgrounds. We have a bike and a scooter.

We have a GIANT thomas table with train tracks and all sort of things.

No more Legos! They are driving me crazy, I constantly am picking them up from all over the house. sigh

So, do you guys think there is nothing wrong with this for a boy?

91T15cgCOkL._AA1500_.jpg
    http://www.toysrus.com/buy/dolls-stuffed-animals/dollhouses-accessories/wooden-dollhouses/kidkraft-designer-dollhouse-65156-10860388
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    http://www.squidoo.com/dollhouses-for-boys

Really awesome castle houses, submarine house, rocket house, etc. Very cool. I would totally buy these for my nephew!

Those castle sets are pretty sweet. I wonder if I can force them on a nephew.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    The one thing worse than only buying gender specific toys are the people who try to tell you that there is something wrong with the way you are raising your kid by buying gender specific things.

Yeah, sorry, my son will most likely never have a my little pony or a Barbie. Sue me and tell me how messed up he will be. I'll be too busy making sure im actually around as a father, he's not on drugs, becoming a thug *****, and raising him to be a good man to really care about how your son plays with a my little pony doll.

Get that boy an action figure play set, bat cave or something really cool.
  • _amluvstld_
    Options
    Imaginext Batcave. My little guy loves that thing still and he just turned 8!
  • SPPutnam
    SPPutnam Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Star Wars and Marvel play sets. Have fun.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Something that encourages role play and imagination for a 3 year old. I don't want to get him a girls doll house, but why are these things so gender based?

I am looking for an awesome gift for my son's birthday. He has 1,000 cars, a bike, a scooter, art center, legos that he likes to dump all over the living room.... I'm out of ideas.

Duck blind.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    We live in NYC apartment. There is no "outside". Outside are playgrounds. We have a bike and a scooter.

We have a GIANT thomas table with train tracks and all sort of things.

No more Legos! They are driving me crazy, I constantly am picking them up from all over the house. sigh

So, do you guys think there is nothing wrong with this for a boy?

91T15cgCOkL._AA1500_.jpg
    http://www.toysrus.com/buy/dolls-stuffed-animals/dollhouses-accessories/wooden-dollhouses/kidkraft-designer-dollhouse-65156-10860388

I would not have played with that as a kid....Unless I used it as an evil lair
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with getting him a "girl's doll house"? A dollhouse shouldn't be gender-oriented whatsoever. You could go to a hobby shop and get one there as well. I think they even sell kits so it can be built for him. If getting him a girl's dollhouse is an issue, you can always get one, but also get some craft paint and give the house a makeover.
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A doll house doesn't have to be a Barbie Dream House. My brother and I played doll house all the time.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Lego Batcave. Nuf said. I don't have a son, but my 4 year old daughter, who also owns a Sleeping Beauty Castle/Dollhouse, often will prefer to play with Daddy's Legos. Darth Vader also attacks the Disney Princesses, who are protected by Yoda, Wonder Woman and Cat Woman dolls. And the Princesses often have tea with Batman, Superman and the Flash.

1. Yes, superhero nerd family here.

2. As others have implied, screw the preconception of "gender specific" toys.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Get him a doll house. It won't kill him.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Ninja turtle playset

may121846-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-super-sewer-lair-playset.jpg
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Linkin Logs, legos, erector set, or any number of building kits for kids would work.
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    my boys are almost grown now, but they spent hours playing with rescue heroes by fisher price. Not sure if they are still out there, but I thought they were a good investment. For years we could just add to the theme with rescue vehicles, a command station, etc.
  • Chellody22
    Chellody22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A toy kitchen with dishes and play food. My son loved his!
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I am so annoyed with the genderization of toys. If he wants a doll house, get him one. If you have to find one that isn't so "girly" look for classic wooden ones.
  • Mitzki5
    Mitzki5 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    A football or basketball.
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bat cave and batman toys, superhero costumes, Star Wars toys kept my sons interest for 5 years,
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    A foam football?
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What was wrong again with the doll house??

This. Let your kids play with what they want. My son plays with dolls and his favorite show is my little pony

This kind of parenting makes me happy.