giving up wine

Options
Wine used to be my treat, but sice I have been eating healthy I can no longer tolerate it, one or two glasses gives me bad headaches.
Has anyone else found it harder to tolerate alcohol with weight loss...and more so did you subsitute with anything?

Replies

• grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    This past weekend my fiancee had a show and we had some friends over for drinks. It was the first time in a while and I paid severely the day after. Mind you, I did not binge drink or anything like that...but since I have practically cut off drinking from my diet I felt like crap. My body practically rejects it now, or maybe it was what we had. :(
  • Abbaprincess
    Abbaprincess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't drink, but I do know that pretty much anything you avoid for awhile can taste terrible if you aren't used to it anymore. For example Dr. Pepper for me. I don't really drink pop very often anymore and when I do, it is really sweet and really acidic tasting because I am not used to the amount of sugar or carbonation. This is good and strange since 3 years ago I drank about a 2 liter of the stuff a day. Alchohol also affects a person differently based on thier mass. If you have less mass you will want less wine. :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Headaches from wine can be from the sulfates in the wine (specifically if it's a dry red); what kind of wine are you drinking?

Another reason is dehydration before drinking the wine.

I'm not sure how eating healthy would suddenly result in an intolerance, particularly when red wine is pretty darn good for you.

ETA: If you're eating much less than you were before, that COULD make the alcohol go "straight to your head," so to speak. Either eat more with the wine or have less wine.
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I too have given up wine...for the most part. I'm working so hard to be in shape and eat clean, I don't want to "ruin it" with a couple glasses of wine. But when I do treat myself (which is rare these days), I definitely can't handle it like I used to. Bad headaches, unable to sleep...feels like I get hung over after 2 glasses. It's not worth it anymore.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Headaches from wine can be from the sulfates in the wine (specifically if it's a dry red); what kind of wine are you drinking?

Another reason is dehydration before drinking the wine.

I'm not sure how eating healthy would suddenly result in an intolerance, particularly when red wine is pretty darn good for you.

ETA: If you're eating much less than you were before, that COULD make the alcohol go "straight to your head," so to speak. Either eat more with the wine or have less wine.

You. I like you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    35d2zx.jpg

Also...red wine in particular has numerous health benefits when consumed in moderation.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    My tolerance hasn't changed one bit. I guess I must just "practice" more than you. Anything worth having is worth working for. :drinker:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I have been known to have more than my share but I do have to say that since getting in better shape I can tolerate less.

I think this part of natural order of things, it's all good. :)