Body wont cooperate.

Options
Ok, So this may come of as me complaining and cry babying, but I have to get it out. And maybe someone else has felt this way and found a way to get over this feeling.
So last year I started running. I thought I was doing very well. The pounds started coming off, and I was slowly starting to be able to run farther and farther. Then winter hit and I went into my usual winter funk. I continue to run on the treadmill indoors at the gym, and do work outs, but not as frequently. Then this summer my migraines hit with a vengeance. I was put on Elevil (spelling?) and it helped for like a month and then it all went down hill. I slept all the time...the migraines came back, and to top it all off, I gained 20 pounds in 2 1/2 months. I stopped all exercise and barely functioned.
So I was put on a new medication Topamax and so far it seems to be helping and I'm finally starting to get back in the game, but I find that it's harder for me to get back to where I was. Like today I ran 2 miles and had to take a walk break and when I tried to run again it's like my body said..."Are you kidding? Your an old lady...only 2 years from the big 4...0! What makes you think that you can do this? What makes you think that you can push this pathetic body into doing a half marathon?" The legs are crying, the chest is tight. I almost gave up right then and was thinking..yeah...what am I doing? But I walked it out...and then when I was on the last .75mile left I ran the rest home. So all in all I ran 2.75 and walked 1.50.
But I'm struggling now. Wondering if I'll ever be able to do this. I don't want to give up, but a part of me just says "F" it.
Ok...I'm done venting now.

Replies

• Hermit4Hire
    Options
    I think you mislabeled the heading...it should be "my mind won't cooperate" because I think you already know that it's your brain telling you that you can't do it.

I was at the same place..and I have a few years on you. I was slothful, out of shape, a lot of extra pounds...this year I've done 4 triathlons and have 3 more races before the end of October.

Once your brain commits to the idea, the body will follow. I've struggled through races where my legs and lungs wanted to give up, but I had to tell myself that this won't kill me. I take some deep breaths and plod through it, one suffering step at a time. And afterwards, I feel like I can pretty much do anything.

Where would you go if you gave up? Be fat and unhappy, cry yourself to sleep every night listing off excuses and eating poorly because it just doesn't matter?

Sometimes you have to test yourself. Conquer that negativity and come through the other side. The other option is living in depression, fear and anger for not taking control. What train will you take?

Good luck with everything.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're on the mend and starting to be able to function again.

Do not despair with your running. It's amazing how quickly we lose the capacity to perform like we used to but the great thing is that you can get back to where you were and beyond. Probably your mind is where you left off in terms of your fitness level but your body isn't there (yet). Take it slowly and do the best you can each day. Be realistic about how much your body can manage. If you keep going and doing a little more each time you will be back to where to started in no time.

You can do this, you just need a little patience - and remember, you're not in a hurry so take your time :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You are not complaining or being a cry baby. I think we all go through similar things. It's hard when we get to a certain point in our health & fitness that we feel we've accomplished something - only to have a setback - and then have to pretty much start all over again. Well, that's what happens. Our bodies can get unconditioned pretty quickly. You know you can accomplish your goals because you have done it before, so it's not impossible.

Instead of listening to that negative voice in your head, tell it to SHUT THE HECK UP!!! You keep telling yourself you CAN do it, you are an athlete, you are worth it, and you WILL do it! Your mind controls your body. Change the way you speak to yourself and you'll break past this small hurdle.

You did it today by pushing yourself to finish your run. So you had to walk a little bit of it, so what. YOU PUSHED THROUGH and you FINISHED! Be proud of that fact. Don't focus on where you used to be - only look forward to where you are going TODAY. Starting today, you will run farther, you will push harder, and you will reach your goal of running a half marathon and finishing it.

I'm glad the migraine meds are working. At least that has to be some stress off your shoulders. Just do your best each and every day and do a little more each time. I'm 42 years old and in better shape now than when I was 22. You can do it and I'll be here to help you along the way ... so will all the amazing people here on MFP.

You Can Do It! :happy:
  • georgie2704
    Options
    Hey honey, don't worry, in the grand scheme of things this is just a 'blip'. I'm 41 and only started running last year, I'm gradually increasing the mileage, so take it from me 'you're body aint 'passed it' yet. I know it's frustrating having to stop the running for a while, but that's okay, we all have times, whether due to illness or injury when we have to slow up a bit. But your body will remember, and it will work for you, just take it easy, one day at a time, one run at a time and you'll get there. Try and be positive, when you're running, concentrate on what you've achieved, on how far you've run, not everyone can run 2 miles without stopping! Concentrate on your final goal, when you take your eyes off the goal you only see the obstacles. I wish you every success.......don't give up x:smile:
  • desireebutts
    Options
    First of all... Good for you for getting back out and running!!! That's great! Second of all I commend you! I hate to run!! and by hate I mean HATE!!!! Unless playing a sport... I just don't get it. But I know that a lot of people who take time off have a harder time getting back into it... NO worries that "runners high" will come back to you. Don't give up!!!
  • neclar
    neclar Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say that it's great that you didn't quit and that your back running. 2-3 months off from exercise is a long time off and your body just needs time to get back to where you were before. In the winter my boys wrestle and i was in the gym 1-2 days a week at most ( from 6 days a week). After the season( 5 months later) i tried getting right back to where i was befor....."NOT HAPPENING". Thats what my body was telling me, even thought my head was saying you can. I had to slowly get back little bits at a time.
    I believe you'll be ok but don't try to rush. We all crawl befor we walk . A run-walk-run is great for a start. maybe put that as your workout til you can run all of it. I'm on the back nine of my 30's too so i can say as long as your doing something it's better than sitting on ur duff. good luck and i wish you the best of success in ur running.