Teacher Support Group

Options
Yes, it that time of year again! As we get back to our school routines, nobody knows better than we do the challenges we face during the school year.

So let's get back together and help each other out.

All who work with kids are welcome to join!

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    school doesnt start for me until the second week in september. Im very active in school so im finding it hard during the holidays where I am just sat at my desk all day long planning and having to take a cut in calories as a result.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too but school doesn't start here for another 3wks. I'm finding the holidays much harder than being at work as there's much more opportunity to snack.

However, there are also so many temptations at school, it's always someones birthday and there are always 'treats' in the staff room. I think this groups will be of great use once school starts again.
  • JuneDukes
    JuneDukes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I return to school next Monday. Having already lost 56 pounds since last September, I was looking for a bit of a new tool to further help me. Just found myfitnesspal today so here goes.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I've been working with kids all summer long... we end this Friday, but then school starts up again in a few weeks... :sad:
  • BrookeAnisse
    Options
    I'm not a teacher but I work in the classrooms helping Kindergarteners. We start school second week of September :D I can't wait.
  • Katherine1687
    Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am a Teaching Assistant and still have another 3 weeks off.

I am not sure if it is easier or harder dieting during term time. The opportunities for nibbling all day are limited BUT there are almost always cakes or biscuits in the staff room.

Good to have lots of support though.

Good Luck
  • chelleim
    chelleim Posts: 78
    Options
    We start back in 3 weeks. I find it takes more will power while on break to not snack; however, during school I find it difficult to fit in time to eat my breakfast, lunch and snack and get in all of my water.

The worst part about going back to work is finding the time to fit in exercise. In the summer it has been easy. I believe it will take some scheduling trial and error to figure out how to fit it in appropriately throughout the week.
  • countrymama08
    Options
    I go back in 2 weeks. I prefer break. Not as much to make me stress eat. My school seems to make everything about food. My admin has mandatory meetings during lunches on staff days. Let's us leave early so no one complains. I also have an ia who thinks she is helping by mentioning my food or analyzing my exercise. She is annoying.

Oh well. Off to enjoy more break.
  • lsand
    lsand Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too and not ready to go back yet! I've enjoyed the summer and having time to exercise. But I also have more time to eat, so I usually eat all my exercise calories! I hate the stress of the first few weeks of school. Fall is also really busy with my own kids activities. But having this site has been a big help and motivation to me! WE CAN DO IT!
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Teachers start back on the 16th. I will be glad to have a busy routine. I work out before work and try to work out after work also. Eating won't be difficult, I bring my own lunch and have my snack between breakfast and lunch and then another after work before dinner. :flowerforyou:
  • cduke25
    cduke25 Posts: 5
    Options
    I start contract work days on the 19th and school starts the 23rd. I much prefer break for exercising and nutrition. I can set a schedule and stick to it. I am not so worried about keeping up with my exercise when school is in, but I am very nervous about maintaining my nutrition. I often forget to eat because I get caught up in all my teacher tasks. I usually have kids in my room everyday at lunch so I'm usually working with them. During my prep I run to the restroom, make copies, file, etc. I teach bell to bell and through passing periods. It always seems that there just isn't enough time to sit and eat. I will be drafting an eating schedule worked around my classes and hopefully seeing it in front of me will help me remember. I am also thinking about a health and fitness bulletin board to help my students, but to also keep me accountable and remind me to be a role model for them. I'll have to focus on prepping my food ahead of time, and hopefully these strategies will help me.
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    In-service starts next week for us, then kids on the 19th! I've been teaching private music lessons all summer which has been a nice break. I found MFP a few weeks ago, so hopefully it will help me stay on track when things get hectic again! Enjoy the rest of your summers everyone!!!!!
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Well, I started back today, the rest of the teachers start on Wednesday, but I wanted to get my room moved and started settling in. We only get 4 days pre-school, and one to two days are in-service. We get students on the 17th.

Already busy with starting yearbook and school newspaper as well.
  • apexmomof5
    Options
    Starting back tomorrow - teaching the same grade again (6th) but new curriculum, which means more planning, which means less time for me. It will be challenging, especially with all the junk that regularly flows into the staff lounge! Hoping to be able to resist temptation. Also hoping this dang heat spell will end, making for more comfortable exercise time!
  • countrymama08
    Options
    I officially have 4 more days off. My first few weeks at work are 4 day weeks so that is helpful. I have a big workload this year so it will be tough. I did not get any preplanning or anything that i wanted to do over the summer done. I rested and enjoyed my daughter so I guess that is what counts.

Have a great week everyone.
  • tcam70455
    tcam70455 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The students started last Thursday. I've been there for 3 weeks due to a schedule change, and realized all my fears of breaking my new good habits under stress. I never got way off, but definitely gained some back the first 2 weeks, and lost it and one more pound last week. I got up early this morning and finally did my regular routine of walking and the elliptical both. It felt good. I really need to do some major planning for exercise. I plan on bringing my lunch which helps with the nutrition. This would be one more great place to get some major encouragement.
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    New school year is off to a great start!!!! Good kids, great admin. I felt more prepared this year than I ever have on the first day of school.
  • wlkn4him
    wlkn4him Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year teachers! I love this time of year. School starts on the 30th. I had access to my classroom a week early to set up so I feel great about starting at a new school in a new grade level. I've taught 3rd and 4th and am moving down to 1st. We moved overseas and are away from family and old friends so MFP has been a great support this summer.

I want this to be the school year without the usual gain. I've always been good at exercising and eating right during the summer, but I'm also good at making the "too tired to work out" excuse at the end of a full day. The treats are killer too! I joined MFP over the summer and I'm halfway to my goal weight. I will not sabotage my success another year! I will make my goal weight and keep it off this year. This is my public commitment. Who else is with me? I am so thankful for MFP and the support we can share with each other.
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    I think we are all in together for support and to prevent stress eating. STAY OUT OF THE LOUNGE!!!!!! :laugh:

I hope everyone else gets off to a great start as well!
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    How's everyone doing?????

I hope you are all doing a good job staying out of the teacher's lounges! :laugh: