Binge eating.

Options
I hate to admit this... but I am a binge eater. It's a constant cycle of binge and purge, binge and purge and I absolutely hate myself for it. I've gained so much weight in the past couple of months because I just can't control it. I find one trigger food and end up eating so much of it.
I binged tonight. Granted, it wasn't as much as I have binged before, far from it, but I still hate myself for it. I just want this to stop. I need help.
Does anyone else on here suffer from binge eating? Maybe we could help each other stay motivated and support one another?

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I binged and starved for a number of years, I'd eat of control for a day or sometimes two and then I would eat maybe 500 calories the next week. It was awful.

My first step (this was years ago) to break the cycle was set up times for regular meals and eat them. No skipping. Not ever. It took a lot of work and my relationship with food still isn't the best but it's better then it was. Hang in there, seek help if it seems overwhelming. Sometimes talking to someone, figuring out your triggers can really help.
  • melissabickford923
    Options
    I binge eat, too. Food is my biggest weakness. Like you, I also feel really guilty afterwards. It's important to know your triggers. I eat my feelings, being a woman, I tend to have a lot of feelings. I binge eat the worst around my period. Lucky for me, I get mine twice a month. Jealous? I thought you would be.

I also try to avoid buying junk food. If it's not in my house then I can't eat it.

I am so unhappy with my weight. I am 5'2'' and 167 pounds. I just can't seem to lose the weight. I binge ate horribly today. I haven't been on here in months. I have just been too discouraged.

Okay, so here is to supporting each other. Tomorrow will be a better day than today.
  • cindirookbanman
    cindirookbanman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    so jealous, Melissa!

I used to binge eat too. Actually ended going for counselling with an office who specialized in eating disorders, worked through a lot of issues about love, father/daughter relationships, self image, body dysmorphia, and more. (so much fun...)

Best tips from above comments: 1) eat regular meals (adding breakfast helped me eliminate the afternoon and evening eat-a-thons, 2) don't have junk food around the house (didn't matter to me, I would eat any kind of food, but at least it wasn't complete junk, just too much of a good thing)

Best Recommended Author: Geneen Roth. Lots of good books, and can follow her on Facebook too.

To beat this you will need to learn how to develop healthy relationships with food and yourself. A better diet or more exercise isn't going to fix it. I can be your friend, but get help Sweetie. I can't motivate you to do something where the drive needs to come from your own heart.