Body Bugg

Options
I just got a body bugg, the device they use on Biggest Loser to help you calculate the calories burned, does anyone else use these? What do you think of them? I just started yesterday so I only have one day of data but I was a bit surprised to see that I was burning less calories, especially during workouts, than either the machines or other calcs had been providing me. Hopefully, this will be helpful to find where I am going wrong as I have been plateaued for some time.

Any feedback anyone has would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Mine shows that I burn less calories working out than the machines at the gym or MFP says, as well. I use the calories per my BodyBugg now as the measure of what I've burned. I lost about 30 lbs using it last year, then quit using it and stopped watching my food and gained some of it back... getting back into the swing of things now.

One thing to watch out for - don't forget to subtract the normal amount of calories you would burn during that time period from your exercise calories if you're logging exercise calories on MFP. For me about 90 calories an hour is my normal daily calorie expenditure rate. So, if it shows that I've burned 300 calories during exercise for an hour, I would only add 210 exercise calories since I would've burned 90 calories anyways without the exercise.
  • Angowen
    Angowen Posts: 22
    Options
    I do not have one but have always wanted one, can you tell me where to get one and the approximate cost?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    There are 2 "brands" (though they're the same thing made by the same company) - GoWearFit (BodyMedia FIT) and the BodyBugg. I bought mine off Amazon for a discount from what the company sells them for on their website. The BodyBugg is sold through 24 hour fitness, though I think you can buy it online as well. I'd recommend you check out the websites for the 2 products, then look on Amazon.com and see what is the cheapest. the device was a little under $200, I think. The website is $6.95/mo, which is required to use the product (you upload the data and view it on their site). Price may vary based on the contract you pick (mine is 12 months). You can also buy a display watch, but I wouldn't personally recommend it as mine never worked right (it was always higher than the actual device's calculations, which shouldn't be the case). I think the watch is about $80 or so, though I could be off a little.

www.bodymedia.com
    www.bodybugg.com
  • Angowen
    Angowen Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info!
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I bought one probably about 2 years ago. I loved it at first and it did keep me on top of my weight loss. I, however, found wearing the devise all day to be annoying. Everyone would always ask what it is that is on my arm and pretty much mocked me for "thinking that it would help me". With the Body Bugg, I did find that I was burning less calories than the machines were telling me. Keep in mind that this device does not take into effect your heart rate. When I purchased it, I paid $199 and that was a "Sale" and I had to subscribe monthly to use to the site to sync my information. Like I said, I found it to help me with my weight loss journey, but found it to be more of a hassle than anything.