Stopped eating calories back....stopped losing weight

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    I had a similar experience and was advised in laymans terms by consultant and dietician.

The body having been deprived of its usual calories whilst dieting does not then take kindly to having huge extra energy demands made upon it and so goes into economy mode making savings and holding onto as much as it can.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    weight loss is not linear. i can lose one week, and the next, then nothing for three weeks, then boom, a huge loss the following week. it takes a little more time to get an idea of how your body is going to shed its weight. i now know, that i will only see a good drop in my weight once a month...

This describes my weight loss pattern exactly!
    I agree with above posters that say go back to what was working. I don't know how a person only eats 1200 calories AND exercises without passing out at the end of the day.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    This is why I don't exercise. I'm losing just fine without it, it seems like more trouble than it's worth!

Not a good idea. The problem with this plan is seen countless times on these very forums. You'll hit your goal weight and still be flabby and wonder what went wrong.

Exactly, resistance training now will work wonder for body composition.

I'm not going for the "ripped fitness lady" look. I don't mind a more slender, less gymmy look.

Picking up some heavy weights and putting them down is not going to magically turn into the hulk or anything. It coupled with proper targeting of your macronutrients will aid you to get the look you really want. Those "ladies" you speak of put years of hard work and dedication in to achieve that look you don't want. And sometimes that's not even enough.

Agreed. Apparently everybody wants to look like a pop star! Even Beyonce strength trains to get her look. :-)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    So I lost 25 pounds in a little over two months. During that time I almost always ate back the calories (goal was 1200) I had burned. Usually I was eating them ALL.

I completely fail to understand your logic! You lost 25lbs in just over two months and you decided to reduce your calories?
    Why?? Are you really trying to lose weight faster than that?

The obvious thing is just go back to what worked before and stop being so impatient.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    So I lost 25 pounds in a little over two months. During that time I almost always ate back the calories (goal was 1200) I had burned. Usually I was eating them ALL.

I completely fail to understand your logic! You lost 25lbs in just over two months and you decided to reduce your calories?
    Why?? Are you really trying to lose weight faster than that?

The obvious thing is just go back to what worked before and stop being so impatient.

Yup, pretty much this ^^^^ Please also understand that a 3lb/week loss is really not sustainable long term. There will come a point that you simply won't be able to lose that anymore (not in a healthy manner anyway). Consider a slower, more healthy lifestyle change, rather than a quick fix. Good luck!
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Go back to what was working, and replicate the good things that were happening before you got sucked into the conflicting information we all see.

When things are going well.... why change ?
  • reneeb816
    reneeb816 Posts: 60 Member
    You guys are right! I should never have changed things up. There was definitely some impatience going on and I recognize that now.

And I would never stop the exercise. Not only is it good for your body, it's proved to be great for my mind too. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    This is why I don't exercise. I'm losing just fine without it, it seems like more trouble than it's worth!
    You do understand what the benefits of exercise are besides contributing to weight loss?

From what I've seen of her posts, she doesn't really understand much of anything

Clearly I'm doing something right, since I'm making progress toward my goals.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    You do understand what the benefits of exercise are besides contributing to weight loss?

From what I've seen of her posts, she doesn't really understand much of anything

She said she wants to lose weight, and not exercise until she hits goal. It's not a bad plan to lose weight first and then start working on muscle. It might not be the plan you would chose, but that doesn't mean she has to do it your way.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    It actually is a bad plan and you are wrong

She's a single handful of pounds from her final goal. Exercising now or not won't make a damn's worth of difference in her appearance or body composition at goal weight.

For her goals, from where she's at, there's nothing wrong with her plan.
  • emirror

Why? She only has a few pounds to lose, and then she wants to start yoga. Why is her plan bad? I'm serious, not snarky.
  • emirror

She's a single handful of pounds from her final goal. Exercising now or not won't make a damn's worth of difference in her appearance or body composition at goal weight.

With being 12 lbs from her "goal" there would actually be a noticeable difference if the OP did some sort of compound lift routine while in a slight caloric deficit as opposed to just having a slight caloric deficit. She might also see that she's probably not a whole 12 lbs away from her goal. Like I said before heavy lifting does great things for body composition.

But she doesn't want to lift weights... Personally, I love lifting; it's the majority of my routine. But, she doesn't want to. She wants to do yoga.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Like I said before heavy lifting does great things for body composition.

I agree - for myself, and that' s what I do - for myself.

However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and many don't agree.

She's fine, and she will continue to be fine, just let it go.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

With being 12 lbs from her "goal" there would actually be a noticeable difference if the OP did some sort of compound lift routine while in a slight caloric deficit as opposed to just having a slight caloric deficit. She might also see that she's probably not a whole 12 lbs away from her goal. Like I said before heavy lifting does great things for body composition.

But she doesn't want to lift weights... Personally, I love lifting; it's the majority of my routine. But, she doesn't want to. She wants to do yoga.

I believe the point is: Why be concerned with the number on the scale, instead of the number on the tape measure. Why sacrifice LBM now to meet a number on the scale only to try to go through body comp later? Why not put in the work now to maintain some of that LBM when it's much easier, than try to go through building it back up later which is much harder?
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member

She said she wants to lose weight, and not exercise until she hits goal. It's not a bad plan to lose weight first and then start working on muscle. It might not be the plan you would chose, but that doesn't mean she has to do it your way.

Meh, if that is her plan than that is her plan. If it makes her happy,it's working and she can stick to it than it is not a bad plan by any means.
  • I quit for one week. Quit exercising and quit counting calories. This gave me a fresh start and sure enough, the weight started melting back off. Not only that but I felt better physically after that week.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    If it ain't broke ... don't fix it.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member

Yeah, but my goal is to lose weight, and I'm pretty healthy overall, so it's not a priority. I'll start exercising AFTER I lose all the weight I want to lose, just to move everything into the shape I want. I'll probably just do yoga or something, I don't do the frantic sweating thing.

good luck with that one.

(eye roll)
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member

I believe the point is: Why be concerned with the number on the scale, instead of the number on the tape measure. Why sacrifice LBM now to meet a number on the scale only to try to go through body comp later? Why not put in the work now to maintain some of that LBM when it's much easier, than try to go through building it back up later which is much harder?

Don't bother, as she doesn't understand this. I tried repeatedly in another thread to explain maintaining LBM to help with calorie burn & she didn't get it. In fact, she made rude comments repeatedly to the OP of the thread. She'll understand at some point when she doesn't get the results she wants, but for now, don't get frustrated trying to correct her misinformation. It's not worth the time & effort. I just hope others are not swayed by her arguments. That's where it hurts, when others are lead astray!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    I got to goal weight and then started exercising. It's working fabulously for me. I don't look how I want to when I'm done, but I knew that was going to happen. I'm at my goal weight, not my goal shape. I'm not done yet. I know a lot of the weight lost was LBM, I don't care. It's not the most efficient way, but people seem to conveniently forget that weight loss isn't a race when people choose to lose differently from them.

Edtied for a typo.