Having my weight loss noticed makes me feel uncomfortable

Options
Today I decided that I felt comfortable enough to wear a form fitting top. As I was minding my own business at work, my supervisor walks behind me and states rather matter of factly,
"My God, Emily, you have been losing a lot of weight."

I went into instant social anxiety mode. Instead of saying something like "thank you for noticing! ect." I just go
"....yea."

This doesn't only apply to my supervisor, but to my friends and family as well. I just feel so uncomfortable whenever anyone points it out, and for the life of me I can't figure out why.

You know what's also uncomfortable? Passerby's looking at you and smiling. Strangers talking to you. Actually receiving help in a store.
I feel like I have been missing out on basic human interactions my whole life because of my weight, and they are now all being thrown at me at once as a 23 year old woman.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Kind of. I get variations on "You are so skinny, now!" and don't like it. I have noticed more "help" at stores, too. Sometimes when I don't want or need it. :/

I REALLY don't like talking to people I do not know, though. Now there are more of them trying to initiate conversation >.<
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I also try to change the subject when friends bring up the weight loss. I am so ashamed to have been at that weight to begin with.

I do think people are more likely to help a pretty good looking girl.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    maybe because it reinforces that they thought you were fat before.
  • MizSookeh
    MizSookeh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight a few years back (and sadly put it all plus more back on, sigh...), however back then, there was a woman who was a contractor where I worked, so she only saw me every 2 or 3 weeks, which meant the weight loss was more obvious to her.

I was really pleased because each time she saw me, she complimented me on my motivation and how dedicated I was - NOT because I was now thin, as opposed to previously being fat.

It is awkward. It's worse when people want to hear all about it. And yep, agree on store assistants paying more attention... which I hate, because I just want to browse, fat or thin!
  • AisforAmazing19
    Options
    I feel the same way, but I think any unsolicited comments about my body make me feel scrutinized and uncomfortable. Plus I really don't want to get into diet/weight loss talk with anyone, ever.
  • BossBich
    BossBich Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Not me, I get super excited and even more motivated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm with you when it comes to awkward (or awkward for me that is) social interactions. The worst for me is the grocery store cashiers who comment on my purchases. "You must eat really healthy" " you must really like Greek yogurt" "is this what you eat every day?". Seriously! What am I supposed to say? Gah! Sometimes you just want to be invisible!
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't get uncomfortable, but when certain people comment it makes me mad.

I was fat for a long time, and fat people are largely invisible to most of the world. People don't really see you. When someone who has always ignored me in the past suddenly comments on my weight loss, I think, "screw you if the only time I'm worthy of your attention is when I look more like you think I should."

Yeah, I have some issues. :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I kinda understand what you are saying. I find it more annoying than anything. It used to make me feel good, but now it just feels obnoxious in my opinion. I don't know. Too many people tell me that I am too skinny now or that I don't need to lose any more. I usually just reply that I am doing it for myself, not for anyone else. I started with a goal, and I'm not going to stop 6 lbs short because someone else thinks I should.

It almost makes me want to cut anyone out of my life that knew me as a fat guy. Obviously I would never do that, but you get the point.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    If it is a genuine compliment, people are admiring that you set a goal and have worked hard to achieve it. The weight loss industry is a huge one, and I think that says something about the demand for help to reach a weight loss goal.

When I notice that someone is thinner or healthier, the compliment might be that they have lost weight, but the motivation behind the compliment is respect for that person's dedication to their goal.

As for more help at stores, yes. Thin, attractive, and child-free will garner much more unsolicited help than the opposite.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, but I think any unsolicited comments about my body make me feel scrutinized and uncomfortable. Plus I really don't want to get into diet/weight loss talk with anyone, ever.

This is so me. On MFP, or with friends who I KNOW are similar-minded, it is ok. But still a little bit uncomfortable.

However I *HATE* talking with randoms about this stuff. I'd rather they not even notice my weight loss than try to talk to me about how great Body by Vi, Paleo, Atkins, etc are...no thankyou
  • Bowsa
    Bowsa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If it is a genuine compliment, people are admiring that you set a goal and have worked hard to achieve it. The weight loss industry is a huge one, and I think that says something about the demand for help to reach a weight loss goal.

When I notice that someone is thinner or healthier, the compliment might be that they have lost weight, but the motivation behind the compliment is respect for that person's dedication to their goal.

As for more help at stores, yes. Thin, attractive, and child-free will garner much more unsolicited help than the opposite.

^^^^^
    this

Take the compliment........ could be worse, they could be saying "WOW Chunks! you've put some weight on haven't you!"
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Yep it is a little uncomfortable but I think it will stop in time when they are used to what we look like now. Could be worse, we could be still obese and no one says anything. -)
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I agree, it can be awkward, even for someone like me who hasn't lost nearly as much as many of the folks on MFP. It's the sort of realization that seems to come across people faces, as if they are thinking "wow, you used to be a chubby guy...wtf?"

I want to say something like "that's right, b****, I worked my *kitten* off getting in this kind of shape...deal with it!"

But of course I always just say something like "oh, thanks, yeah, I've been running a lot..."
  • breakhearts
    breakhearts Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Me too! But, I just get embarrassed when my best buddy tells me, "God, you are so skinny now!" I'm like, "No, I'm not. I'm thinner. But, I'm sure as hell not thin yet.

weight.png
  • TheRainQueen
    TheRainQueen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This has honestly been my struggle in losing weight...not the calories or working out but the social aspect. I hate the attention and it makes me feel vulnerable.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It is complicated for me. So I've lost about 75 pounds since 6/3/13 (about 18 weeks). On one hand, I take the comments as a compliment. People mean well. But I am still about 35 pounds from my goal. Too much praise makes me feel like I've done this weight loss thing well enough, so maybe the next time I am tempted to just stop eating healthy and exercising, I might succumb. I have avoided telling people how much weight I've lost too (sometimes I just say "yeah I've lost a lot of weight").

I just try to keep in the back of my mind the fact that this is a never ending journey, even if I were to be at my goal weight today.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    While I don't mind an enthusiastic, "you look awesome," it makes me very uncomfortable if someone mentions weight in particular. I agree with others that it basically reminds everyone where I came from. (I lost about 50 pounds 10 years ago, so my ticker just reflects a new round to take things further.)

I really don't like when people ask, "how much have you lost?" When I saw someone after the 50-pound loss, she was pretty insistent--a good friend and in a fun way, but I was really uncomfortable. She said, "Man, if I lost so much weight I'd be shouting from the rooftops how much it was." Well, she's one of the thinnest people I know who has no idea what it really feels like. Recently, my MIL asked how much I've lost. She's much overweight herself, but I just said that I didn't want to talk numbers.

I think my discomfort comes in part because if I say how much I lost, a part of me figures they can estimate what weigh now, add the loss number, and estimate my high weight--which I really don't want anyone thinking about!

Or if they're overweight and they want to talk about how I've done it. If I share, they'll say all of their excuses (which I've overcome and don't want to be reminded of). Or they'll tell me how I'm doing things wrong, or how someone else did it another (inferred better) way, etc. So I'm really vague or don't talk about it at all.

As far as getting attention in stores or from random people who don't know what I used to look like--that doesn't bother me at all.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Even though the fact that people don't help heavier people as much as thinner people is basically crap ... we should all treat EVERYONE the same... despite that, acknowledge YOUR hard work and if someone says something, OWN IT. YOU are putting the hard work in. YOU are exercising restraint, willpower, and inner strength on this journey and YOU deserve all the praise because YOU lost the weight. I think you are putting too much emphasis on the weight itself and not you as a person. Yes, you were overweight. I still am. BUT, you're striving to be a better YOU and that is all that matters. Weight or not.
  • davidco42
    davidco42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always say "Thanks, still working on it". I'm glad they notice, and I want them to know I'm not done yet.