I want to quit smoking but afraid of weight gain rumors

Options

Replies

• soyum
    soyum Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My mom smoked for years and died right in front of my dad as she coughed up her lung and bled out. This is a fairly common way to die when you have emphysema. I suggest you stop smoking and have a bit of self control on the eating. Good luck.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Another plug for the Allen Carr book, it does address the myths and 'it calms my nerves' is a prime one.

Smoking just perpetuates one of the most anxious conditions it is possible to have ... I.e. the need for another cigarette.

I agree with others when they suggest addressing the core issues first. Forget the possible slight initial weight gain while you adjust, just quit first and worry about that later is my best advice.

I don't want to use shock tactics but I've seen a lung cancer patient die close up and while they certainly had a thigh gap it wasn't pretty.

Just read the Allen Carr book and good luck. :)
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    If you have the ability to kick a nicotine habit you have demonstrated some willpower. Use that willpower to avoid temptation. And next time you feel a craving just give yourself some self love.
  • HelllYeaHH
    HelllYeaHH Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    In some other thread about quitting smoking a lot of people recommended a book by Allen Carr. Not sure if these books are different or just different editions as I haven't got around to reading it yet.

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/459433/74fa87-2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829-pdf.html
    http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/459435/The-only-way-to-stop-smoking-permanently---Allen-Carr-pdf.html

Good luck anyway! :)
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I gave up smoking nearly 17 weeks ago it has helped me that i was already exercising when I did give up as when you feel like a smoke go for a walk or get on an exercise bike or drink a glass of water but if I can do it after smoking for over 30 years anyone can do it you just have to have faith in yourself :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Perhaps fight one fire at a time. Quite smoking and don't worry about weight for a month or so. Then you can change your focus.

Good luck!

Giving up the ciggies is easy btw - I've done it hundreds of times. :wink:
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Perhaps fight one fire at a time. Quite smoking and don't worry about weight for a month or so. Then you can change your focus.

Good luck!

Giving up the ciggies is easy btw - I've done it hundreds of times. :wink:

Great advise,

Just do one thing at a time & accept you might put on a few lb's once you stop but the health benefits of not smoking far outweigh putting on a few lb's. Small steps don't go all out to change everything at once & you will do fine, stopping smoking many years ago was the best thing I have ever done for my health.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Haha quitting smoking is hard as hell! Pure torture for the first three days. But if you can get through that, you feel like you can get through almost anything. It has been 5 months foe me now, and it is SO worth it.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Hi, this may have already been said as I have not had time to read through all the replies, so apologise in advance if I repeat something. If you are here in the UK then go to your doctor, tell them you want to quit smoking and they will prescribe you patches and gum for the normal cost of a prescription (not sure how much but circa £7 I think) and you will probably get a months supply, better yet if your Scottish (like me) as we get free prescriptions :)

Good luck.

Alan :)
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Focus on the positive health benefits of quitting smoking. Focus on where you want to be. You're on MFP, so log your food.

I've never smoked, but if I did it would be for the same reasons as you. In fact when I'm excessively stressed and have anxiety I have dreams of smoking.

You know why you smoke. Now work on what makes you stressed, what causes you to become anxious. Once you realize what your triggers are, work with those triggers to try make you less stressed/anxious, so that you have less of a desire to reach for a smoke or food. It may take some time to figure out what stresses you out and makes you anxious, but taking the time to figure these out will be invaluable. It may require some hard decisions especially if it's home/work related, but figure them out. Now that being said, if your stress and anxiety is body chemistry related (lack of serotonin etc.) and uncontrollable, you may need to look into seeing a psych if you are not already in the care of a psych. I know it's tough, but if you talk with your PCP they should be able to recommend you to a doctor.

Find outlets for your stress and anxiety. Since you are looking to get fit and lose weight, can you go to the gym if you get stressed/anxious? I realize that that won't work for school/work hours. At school/work, I've found that if I'm getting bad going for a short 5 minute walk, even if it's just around the building can help. Yoga and meditation can be very good for stress and anxiety. Somebody else has mentioned knitting. If handicrafts are not your cup of tea, find another hobby that you can throw your attention into that's going to give you enjoyment and help you relax/ease your anxiety.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    Quitting smoking is not as difficult as I believed it would be - because I was so determined to do it, I was determined to make sure that I improved my life, I didn't substitute for food, I started with sugar free polo's and water. I never gained weight when I first stopped, and since doing that I found this site and started to lose weight. Once I got over the first 3 days it felt plain sailing and not looked back since then.

I have now been smoke free for: 1 year, 39 weeks.

I also put £50 per week into a CLEAR jar every week, I could see the money build up - since quitting I've saved £4,550 !!

This is £2,000 worth.

IMG_0060_zps1039bde4.jpg

I then used that money to buy myself a nice bike, which helped loads with losing weight and getting fit.!
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Giving up smoking does not make you gain weight. People tend to put on weight when they give up because they substitute the habit with something else - normally food.

This is exactly it!
    Its not the smoking or not smoking that makes you gain weight, its usually because instead of sticking a ciggie in your mouth you now put food in.

I am back to smoking now, BUT the numerous times I quit I used gum and water when I wanted to put something in my mouth.
    The last time I quite I lost 8kgs afterwards, just stuck to my calories.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I quit last December and I never gained. The horror story is just that, a story. Doesn't mean it has to come true for you. If you focus on the calorie deficit you won't gain.

Find something else to be addicted to. For myself that was running.
  • ANDRE_DOE
    ANDRE_DOE Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Just quit stop making excuses and do it. those were rumors from people who wanted to replace the oral fixation with stuffing junk in there mouths. and didnt exercise. You dont fall in that category your a new woman an active woman a woman that has been liberated from the bondage of being a slave to food. You can do it We Got Your Back
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you were to just quit smoking, yeah, you'd probably gain weight, because smoking can suppress your appetite. But if you watched your calories and started exercising, you'll be good.

i substituted exercising for my cigarettes. if i felt like a smoke, i knocked out some push ups.

also coffee. i drink too much coffee, but it's better than smoking.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about three months ago, right around when I started my eating better/losing weight. Granted, I cheated and got an electronic cigarette that I'm still using, but I've managed to lose 18 pounds so far since quitting. I quit a couple years ago as well for 2 years and didn't gain any weight(and that was when I was still lazy and didn't eat right). Just make sure that you are aware of the times when you get bored and want a cigarette, go for a run, do the dishes, get a glass of water, some carrots... Do something to take your mind off it, the craving passes generally in a few minutes. I love the e-cig for the fact that when I'm in the car(long trips or just around town) I can't really go do the dishes haha.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    The reason many gain weight is because they try to substitute one addiction with another. Addiction for nicotine by overeating.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you not try to fill your hands too much. If you're new to counting calories and all that jazz and working on weight loss/fitness than don't quit smoking right now. You will get overwhelmed and give up on both. Tackle one battle at a time. Try to cut down on cigs while you're trying to get the hang of weight loss but if you crave it, go for it. Once you are on the right path to weight loss and have mastered counting calories and staying under and are a regular at working out, THEN go for quitting cigs.

Good luck.

This! 1000%!

I was here 2 years before I even thought of quitting. I had the hang of this, knew which foods kept me satisfied and how to beat cravings. Did regular exercise.

I gained nothing. Well, apart from the freedom of not smoking anymore.

It's so easy if you learn all this first.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    don't worry too much about the weight, focus on one demon at a time, deal with the weight along the way but don't sweat it.. get rid of the nic demon and then you can focus on the food..

Good thing though is when your getting that urge, get up and go walk or run or do something else that's not smoking or not food. You will also notice that your stamina perks up too allowing you to work out harder and gain more energy. you can do this.

this website is great and has a lot of good people with advice to help that have been there and are going through it

http://www.quitnet.com/qnhomepage.aspx

good luck, you can do it..

and yes, I was there two years ago this coming oct 31.. it's possible.
  • Blamber21
    Blamber21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking about 6 weeks ago, was in the same boat as you. I put down smokes and picked up running. The really intense cravings were the addict/junkie in me looking for an endorphin rush. Chocolate and herbal tea was my savior. Small servings, count the cals, stick to maintenance during the first week or two. Do not beat yourself up. Limp along and get through the first couple weeks and you should be golden!! I feel amazing and I've saved almost $300!!
  • meeeshellllle
    meeeshellllle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I didnt gain any weight when I quit, maybe because I really watched my calorie intake and kept active. I will tell you it was the hardest thing I've ever dealt with mentally though. It's been 5 months since I quit and I feel wonderful :] You can do it!!!