Organic Foods

Options
Hello Everyone!! Im thinking about changing my diet! I love food and all different types and kinds, but I've never tried Organic Food. I was wondering is there anyone on this site that eats organic food? and if so can you give me info on the food?

Replies

• dragonfarie
    dragonfarie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I try to eat organic produce (lettuce, apples, strawberries, eggs and milk ... ect.) because they have less pesticides/hormones in them.

I know I should eat organic meats and poultry for the same reason (less injected hormones) but I live in a very small town where the selection is very slim.
  • kandi007
    kandi007 Posts: 17
    Options
    I just started eating organic produce after reading the book skinny *****, im no longer eating meat at all..taste wise to me it taste exactly the same. you will pay a bit more for it, but to me its worth it considering all the crap your not going to be putting in your body.

i recommend doing research on the best organic brands though, something i learned in my research is just because the USDA declares something organic, does not mean that it is.
  • naturalShar
    Options
    I eat organic produce,meats,dairy and snacks made from organic ingredients. I also use only organic or all natural body care and hair care products. Its extremely expensive( I shop at Whole Foods) but my health is totally worth it.
    Some say that it tastes the same,but I beg to differ,in my opinion the milk is richer,the meat is juicier and more flavorful,and the produce has a clean,non pesticide taste and smell. The snacks are just a healthier option for me and my 5 kids.
    Also i do agree with the above poster about reaerching cause everything labelled organic is not necessarily organic.
    With the meat I just make sure that it is grassfed or grain fed and free range.

I hope this helps you some!:smile:
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I agree, research "organic" and its meanings before going for it. Also, if you choose to do so, you can save some money by purchasing non-organic fruits and veggies where you remove the skin. There is a lot of pesticide on the skin that doesn't really get washed off, however in oranges (for example) you can remove the skin and the fruit is relatively clean.

I try to buy organic whenever I can, however there are times where it just ins't cost effective for me.

Lastly, if you are thinking of going organic and still eat meat think free-range and hormone free. Again research the terms, but they are also good to keep in consideration. :-)
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I would recommend at a minimum buying organic for any fruits that you eat the skin. I buy just about everything organic where possible. I only buy meat that is non-hormone, non-antibiotic, etc...
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I buy organic 60% of the time. I think the fruit, veggies & meat taste better. I usually buy my processed foods at whole foods where it is made mostly organic, because the processed foods has so much to keep a long shelf life that is not good for us. Some say it's more expensive, but since I have changed I spend roughly the same amount of money. I have door to door organics deliver my produce to my house. I get a box of fruits and veggies for $26 - free deliverly, which is cheaper then any store I have found, because most of it is locally grown. Whole Foods and other organic items do go on sale just like other foods, and that is how I decide what I will purchase for the week. Whole Foods also has coupons at the front of the store in which you can save $$.

Enjoy your healthy life!
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've heard that there isn't a lot of taste difference between organic vs. the regular ol' supermarket stock--the major difference is price. I can't justify spending that much of my budget on food when I figure I'll probably end up drinking a lot of it in tap water or breathing it in (as I live at the edge of my city, so I get the city's smog *and* whatever the farmers are spraying). However, if it's important to you, I say go for it--it's your body, and at least you're eating good, fresh food (which is pretty much the majority of the organic food selection, I've never heard of organic TV dinners...).
  • jblazey
    jblazey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I shop organic when I can. It can be very expensive. The veggies and fruits listed with the highest level of pesticides I always buy organic, such as grapes, strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, potatoes, spinach, celery, carrots, apples, peaches, pears, etc.... I also buy things like organic poptarts or cereal bars, apple sauce, milk, dairy products (butter, sour cream), sugar, chocolate and coffee (also fair-trade) and frozen veggies.
    I did switch to all organic a while ago, but just couldn't afford it, so instead, I eat "all-natural", no corn-syrup, no artificial colors/flavors, no preservatives. We also eat free-range chicken and grass fed, local beef and pork, though we don't eat that much meat to begin with.
    I make all my meals from scratch and eat very little processed food.
    Good luck. It was challenging transitioning to a more healthy, environmentally-conscious diet, but overall, I think it is worth all the extra effort for the health of my children.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I also eat organic as much as I can. I have to agree with others who've said organic foods taste better. They really do! Organic fat-free milk is far and away better than regular fat-free milk. My husband, who is a bit cheap :) even buys organic now.

I found a farm near us that sells grass fed beef. No hormones or antibiotics either. They have it at Whole Foods, but it's more expensive.

I shop at Whole Foods a lot, but more and more organic products are being sold in regular supermarkets. They are responding to demand. I saw all natural, grass-fed beef at a supermarket here. It was only $3 per lb, which is not bad. It's $8 per lb at Whole Foods here. Feeding corn to cattle is really bad for them and you, which is why grass fed is important.

As already said on this thread - not all products are worth buying organic. Free range eggs may come from chickens that are simply allowed outside on a concrete slab. I buy organic milk and other dairy products like yogurt.

If you're interested in finding out more, watching Food, Inc is a good place to start. It's not a slaughter house shocker documentary, and it's not all about organic, but it did give me a push to start eating organic.

I feel the extra cost is well worth the health benefits for me and my family.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I don't buy organic in the supermarket, but get veggies and fruits from our local farmers' market and a local organic CSA. Eating in season from local farmers, my produce expense is smaller (but I have to be more creative as a cook.)
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Organic tastes wayyyy better! It's healthier, too. 70% of the food I buy is organic, there are non-organic things you can get away with like fruits and veggies where you can remove the peel, skin or husk (think: bananas, avocados, melons, etc). Ideally you should try and get organic meat and dairy products, but if I can't find organic meat I get the next best thing - grain-fed and 'free from' (antibiotics).

Going organic is more expensive, but you can't put a price on your health and wellness. It's 100% worth it :)
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Organic is awesome. I do think you need to read up on it though.

I love my grass-fed beef. (I purchased a cow directly from a local farm so that I can get a better price). I also buy my organic chicken from a local co-op. There are ways to save money.

you can also cut out preservaties and HFCS, you will notice a huge difference in your body.

I'm not sure that I can post a link, but I have 2 wonderful sites that you can use to find local farms for fruit/veggies and another one for local farms where you can get meats and dairy. (this is for the entire US). Just message me or add me as a friend.. thanks.