the fluctuation dance

Options
So I've not not had any "proper" weight for almost two weeks... i.e. my ticker jumped down 5 pounds suddenly and since then has been doing a 10-7-6-5-9-8-5-7-6-8-5 sort of dance. I know this shouldn't annoy me as that 5 pounds represents more than two weeks progress anyway, but stepped on yesterday again and was at 205 and this morning at 207 after thinking "yup this will be me back to normal" and it's starting to irritate me!

My main curiosity is that I don't usually fluctuate this much so can't really understand why this is happening. Not been drinking a significant amount of alcohol or having particularly salty foods or lowering my water intake... I haven't done anything different I don't think. I did start the c25k on Monday....

I'm not really crying about this just mildly perturbed and irritated perhaps because I can TASTE onederland.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am considering now that many will consider this an open and shut case "you lost 5 pounds two weeks ago, deal wae it" but would be interested in any insights or shared stories on fluctuations which I wouldn't find via a google search as well as maybe some insight into why the bodies "fluctuation dance" might change significantly... before I was really a 0.3 or whatever incrementer downwards, with water weight gains following "obvious" days, i.e. if drunk lots of alcohol or visited restaurant.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    How's your fiber? Are you getting enough water?
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    There's lots of things that affect weight fluctuations, you already named a few.
    Also working out and a increased carb intake can cause water retention.
    Don't worry, as long as you're in a caloric deficit, you cannot gain fat. Step away from the scales for some time.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Are you exercising and can you open your diary?
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    A great way to fix this? Only step on the scale once a week, at the same time, early morning after using the toilet, before eating breakfast, naked. EVERY TIME.

I've been trying to lose the last 8-10 pounds (for the second time) for the last 4-5 weeks now. Before this I was weighing about once a month. I saw the scale go up, I did something about it. But I did notice that if I weighed in on Monday or Tuesday the reading was at least 2-3lbs higher than it was on Friday. So Friday is my day. The scale stays in a closet until Friday morning, every week. Seeing those numbers change everyday sikes you out. If you are logging accurately staying around your calorie goal and moving more, the number will go down. Guarenteed.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Interested to see the answers as I was losing but seem to bounce up and down now and am not sure why. It is really annoying but I'm sure if we stick with doing what we are doing we will lose :smile:
  • tumbledownhouse
    Options
    I actually was weighing once a week before but found I was putting too much stock in that day and it was stressing me out. That said maybe I am stressing out more now!

My diary is now open, with that said I'm not really looking for a diagnostic view of my eating habits, more importantly I would say they haven't changed, therefore I'm not sure why my fluctuations should.

Yup exercising, walk just under 5 miles 5 days a week (to and from work), started c25k Monday and usually do a workout video of some description every other day.

I also don't log my water but drink AT LEAST 1.5 litres daily.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations make me crazy. Check your fiber, water intake, sodium, etc... you know all those. Then weigh yourself once a week, day after a rest day is best because you shouldn't be retaining as much water from exercise. Early morning, after you pee, before your shower, and no clothes.

BUT FIRST: you have to stand on your head and pray to the scale gods for a good result. If you find favor, they will make you weigh less. OK, not really, but you need a laugh this morning. :flowerforyou:
  • tumbledownhouse
    Options

BUT FIRST: you have to stand on your head and pray to the scale gods for a good result. If you find favor, they will make you weigh less. OK, not really, but you need a laugh this morning. :flowerforyou:

hahaha, much like throwing a bowling ball at some pins and urging it to spin right as it flies down the aisle! ;) I actually do a weight hope and hop thing on the scales, absolute madness!! :o)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    wight yourself three times a week at the same time and take a weekly average to account for fluctuations..

More than likely it is water retention...you just need to drink ALOT of water...like peeing every 30 minutes a lot and it should get rid of it and then you will start losing again ...

Lyle mcdonald has an article on this ...
  • tumbledownhouse
    Options
    wight yourself three times a week at the same time and take a weekly average to account for fluctuations..

More than likely it is water retention...you just need to drink ALOT of water...like peeing every 30 minutes a lot and it should get rid of it and then you will start losing again ...

Maybe 3 times a week would be a good compromise! MORE water?? People at work probably already think I have a UTI! ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Maybe 3 times a week would be a good compromise! MORE water?? People at work probably already think I have a UTI! ;)

I thought same thing...but did it about three months ago and dropped about three pound in a few days..after that starting losing about .5 pound a week again ...
  • tumbledownhouse
    Options

I thought same thing...but did it about three months ago and dropped about three pound in a few days..after that starting losing about .5 pound a week again ...

Sounds pretty promising, I will give it a try, thanks!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would recommend you get some more protein. I would aim for probably around 120gs and reduce that from your carbs. Your carb intake most days is around 250g which is fairly high (about 60% of your calories). Lowering carbs can help with water retention as when you eat less carbs, you store less glycogen and water.
  • tumbledownhouse
    Options
    I would recommend you get some more protein. I would aim for probably around 120gs and reduce that from your carbs. Your carb intake most days is around 250g which is fairly high (about 60% of your calories). Lowering carbs can help with water retention as when you eat less carbs, you store less glycogen and water.

I hear that (though <3 carbs D:) but the thing is I've eaten that many carbs throughout losing weight, so why are fluctuations changing suddenly now?
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    A great way to fix this? Only step on the scale once a week, at the same time, early morning after using the toilet, before eating breakfast, naked. EVERY TIME.

I've been trying to lose the last 8-10 pounds (for the second time) for the last 4-5 weeks now. Before this I was weighing about once a month. I saw the scale go up, I did something about it. But I did notice that if I weighed in on Monday or Tuesday the reading was at least 2-3lbs higher than it was on Friday. So Friday is my day. The scale stays in a closet until Friday morning, every week. Seeing those numbers change every day psychs you out. If you are logging accurately staying around your calorie goal and moving more, the number will go down. Guaranteed.

Agreed! (edited)