Day 3 - sugar/fast food addiction

Options
qpmomma1
qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Wow! I feel great! I've been drinking water instead of pop. The first day it was hard to drink the amount of water I needed. Yesterday I looked up the signs of dehydration and realized I had a lot of the symptoms. Yesterday I drank 8 cups and today I have no headaches and I woke up with energy! The last time I did this I remember feeling horrible for a week or two. Maybe I wasn't drinking enough water?

My fast food addiction is going to be harder to break. Yesterday my work crew went to McDonalds and I was craving chicken nuggets. I got a 6 pc but no poo or fries. I ate my veggies and drank my water I brought with me. But you know what? I was still full! I didn't need the 10 pc chicken nuggets and fries! I was looking up the menu items on my MFP app and everyone in my crew was asking "can you look this up?" Lol I am going to have them eating better before too long!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well in terms of weight loss, it's ok to have fast food occasionally. As long as it fits in your calories you are good. The one thing I do notice is your protein is very low. So I would look to increase that. Your calories don't look bad but I would recommend adjusting macro's to improve protein. Probably around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats. Protein and fats help with satiety. Also, protein is beneficial for muscle retention, especially when its combined with resistance training

Also, just a technical thing, sugar is just a carb, if you have moderate carbs, then you are fine.

Here is a list of things I eat on the regular

chickfila grilled chicken sandwich with yogurt parfait
    red robin gourmet burger with side salad
    Chipolte <- 1-2x a week
    Benihana's sushi
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well in terms of weight loss, it's ok to have fast food occasionally. As long as it fits in your calories you are good. The one thing I do notice is your protein is very low. So I would look to increase that. Your calories don't look bad but I would recommend adjusting macro's to improve protein. Probably around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats. Protein and fats help with satiety. Also, protein is beneficial for muscle retention, especially when its combined with resistance training

Also, just a technical thing, sugar is just a carb, if you have moderate carbs, then you are fine.

all of this!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    just eat in a calorie deficit and work out this will lead to long term weight loss...

AS mcdonalds ges get the grilled chicken sandwich with no fries....

You can eat some fast food, some ice cream, etc...just stay in a daily calorie deficit...
  • Naturebeckles
    Options
    Keep it up!

You will have days where you feel like you've failed and that's ok. Water is good for you. Most Americans are chronically dehydrated and don't know it. I drink my coffee and tea without sugar now, so I count my 16 oz of coffee and my 16 oz of water as part of my water intake for the day, plus I drink about 2 bottles of water a day to boot. Drinking enough water will make you feel great!

Here's another fun fact I learned just recently from a high school kid who was doing research for a science project: the sugar in carbonated drinks stays in your bloodstream for 7 weeks before your body processes it. Think of all the pop people drink and how much of that sugar they load up in their bodies that they can't process right away. No wonder people feel like crap!

Keep educating yourself and take your changes one step at a time. don't try to do too much at once. Making changes here and there as you learn more promotes a longer term and healthier life ahead. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Here's another fun fact I learned just recently from a high school kid who was doing research for a science project: the sugar in carbonated drinks stays in your bloodstream for 7 weeks before your body processes it. Think of all the pop people drink and how much of that sugar they load up in their bodies that they can't process right away. No wonder people feel like crap!

interesting... how is the sugar in carbonated drinks any different to any other added sugar in food or drinks?
  • qpmomma1
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! I'll up my protien intake. Thank you!
  • Naturebeckles
    Options

interesting... how is the sugar in carbonated drinks any different to any other added sugar in food or drinks?

I'm guessing its in how the chemical process is - the sugar must be bound to other molecules that makes it harder for the body to break down.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

all of this!

Yep agreed!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Keep it up!

You will have days where you feel like you've failed and that's ok. Water is good for you. Most Americans are chronically dehydrated and don't know it. I drink my coffee and tea without sugar now, so I count my 16 oz of coffee and my 16 oz of water as part of my water intake for the day, plus I drink about 2 bottles of water a day to boot. Drinking enough water will make you feel great!

Keep educating yourself and take your changes one step at a time. don't try to do too much at once. Making changes here and there as you learn more promotes a longer term and healthier life ahead. :)

so high school science projects are now used a "peer reviewed studies" lol, really???
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm guessing its in how the chemical process is - the sugar must be bound to other molecules that makes it harder for the body to break down.

sugar is sugar, it does not matter if it comes from fruit, candy, ice cream, or magical leprechauns at the end of a rainbow...
  • LYNN8SUPERSTARZS
    LYNN8SUPERSTARZS Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The thing about food addiction it usually has nothing to do with food at all. :smile:
  • qpmomma1
    Options
    The thing about food addiction it usually has nothing to do with food at all. :smile:

Yes! So true! I am in therapy to deal with a lot of my issues. It's not about the food. I have an OCD and one of my obsessive thoughts is I am afraid of being hungry so I over eat. I think if I eat a lot I won't starve. I am working hard to change tht thought process.
This discussion has been closed.