When to eat a protein bar?

Options
Does it matter when you eat a protein bar? Can I eat one for breakfast and still reap the benefits or should I wait until after my workout to eat one? Do they really help with muscle recovery? Thanks :)

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Does it matter when you eat a protein bar?

no.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Whenever you are hungry or have the calories to spare
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Whenever you are hungry or have the calories to spare

THIS ^
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make any difference when you eat what. Just hit your macros by the end of the day and that's that.
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There is a theory that injesting a combo of protein and carbs post workout is great for muscle recovery. However you don't specifically need to drink protein shakes or eat protein bars to do this - you can just eat foods that have these same ingredients (like a cheeseburger). This is basically what the guys are saying but I think you were asking for more specifics so there you go...hope it helped.
  • Steveburg123
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    If you are a workout freak then eat the protein bar half an hour before exercising. This will give you more energy and motivates to workout. However, if you are trying to lose weight then eat protein bar after exercise. This will hep to burn out the fat in your body.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It does make a difference, but the difference isn't significant in the bigger picture. If you're struggling with things like calorie adherence, macros, and workout intensity then I'd eat it whenever works best with regard to those issues. If you've got those things down then there's no problem saving it for right before or right after a workout (depending on the bar). But again, total cals, macros, and workout performance should be your priorities, not nutrient timing.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    If you are a workout freak then eat the protein bar half an hour before exercising. This will give you more energy and motivates to workout. However, if you are trying to lose weight then eat protein bar after exercise. This will hep to burn out the fat in your body.

what? and what?
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

lulz no
  • romancefan1983
    romancefan1983 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    What others have said.... whenever you want one. I left my protein shake at home :( so I had a protein bar for breakfast (along with some bacon) and will have one again this afternoon for a snack.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Only when you have absolutely nothing else better to eat. Most protein bars are sugar and the "no carb" sugar-alcohol bars actually do have all those carbs in them. It's better to have something rather than nothing but they are a last resort type thing.