Shaker/Blender Cups...Need Tips!!

Options
Anyone have any magic tips to keep these blasted things from smelling so bad? I have tried soaking them in detergent and hot water...tried straight to the dishwasher...hand washing...you name it...and I wipe them out with paper towels before putting them up so they are super dry. Without fail, I will pull one out, ready to make my oh-so-yummy protein shake...and BLEH...the smell about knocks me out. So, I end up re-washing it three times before I can even think about drinking from it...and when it's first thing in the morning...the last thing I want to do is be jolted awake by the smell of my blender cup...and then do dishes. So...yeah. Any magic-ness? Words of wisdom?

Replies

• suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    honestly, the last time my cup did that I threw it away and bought a new one.

Although the one I used to use was a cheap recyclable bottle - it was probably deteriorating.

I currently use blenderbottles (Amazon: <http://www.amazon.com/Sundesa-BB28-SC08-BlenderBottle®-Classic-28-ounce/dp/B001KADGMI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1381411100&amp;sr=8-2&amp;keywords=blender+bottle&gt;)... I've had mine for going on two months now, no odor, no nothing, it mixes extremely well and easily cleans out!

It's also not a giant investment.
  • Wrxsti23
    Options
    I also use blender bottles and currently have about 5 or 6 including the regular size and the mini ones. I have never had any issues with a bad odor and I've had some of them for over a year.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Wash it immediately after you drink your shake... If you wash them right after, there's no reason for them to smell THAT bad. Let em sit a few days, and you'll never wanna use them again.
  • garrisonwife
    garrisonwife Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    honestly, the last time my cup did that I threw it away and bought a new one.

Although the one I used to use was a cheap recyclable bottle - it was probably deteriorating.

I currently use blenderbottles (Amazon: <http://www.amazon.com/Sundesa-BB28-SC08-BlenderBottle®-Classic-28-ounce/dp/B001KADGMI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1381411100&amp;sr=8-2&amp;keywords=blender+bottle&gt;)... I've had mine for going on two months now, no odor, no nothing, it mixes extremely well and easily cleans out!

It's also not a giant investment.

Those are the exact bottles I have. The Blender bottles. I'm thinking maybe it's just the mix I use? I don't know...but it's BAD. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've never had any problems with them, and mine often sit all day in a hot car and/or over night before getting washed. Sure, at that point they smell, but once washed they are fine.
  • garrisonwife
    Options
    Wash it immediately after you drink your shake... If you wash them right after, there's no reason for them to smell THAT bad. Let em sit a few days, and you'll never wanna use them again.

Maybe the issue is that I soak them instead of washing them right away? I'll see if scrubbing them out right away helps. Usually, I just rinse them out with hot water, then hit it with a splash of detergent, hot water...and let it soak. But I'll try completely washing and drying them right after I drink it. Thanks!
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Maybe the issue is that I soak them instead of washing them right away? I'll see if scrubbing them out right away helps. Usually, I just rinse them out with hot water, then hit it with a splash of detergent, hot water...and let it soak. But I'll try completely washing and drying them right after I drink it. Thanks!

I do the same... again, no issues.

Are you especially sensitive to smells? What do you put in them?
  • garrisonwife
    Options

I may be a bit sensitive to the smell...but really, sometimes it knocks me back a bit. I use Advocare Meal Replacement shakes. Vanilla, to be exact.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I may be a bit sensitive to the smell...but really, sometimes it knocks me back a bit. I use Advocare Meal Replacement shakes. Vanilla, to be exact.

When you put them away, do you put the lid on and close the cap?

I've found that my water bottles develop a smell if they are closed up tight and sit for more than a day or 2. Leaving the top off until I use them has made all the difference.
  • garrisonwife
    Options

When you put them away, do you put the lid on and close the cap?

I've found that my water bottles develop a smell if they are closed up tight and sit for more than a day or 2. Leaving the top off until I use them has made all the difference.

I DO leave the lid on!! Granted, I don't seal the snap down...I leave that open...but maybe that's it!! I'll try leaving them open. Thanks, guys! At least now I have a couple of things to try.