Do "sugarphobes" also avoid drinking any alcohol?

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    i have a phobia of not consuming sugar!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member

Most of the people I know that actively seek out gluten free alcohols do so because they can't tolerate the gluten even in alcohols. The rest, well, it depends on what they're getting. Things like wine and sherry are often used for cooking, where being organic may make a difference in the resulting flavor profile.
    I thought that about the gluten as well, but we've had to bring in more and more gluten free products lately and many of the buyers comment that they are buying it because it is 'healthier' and say they have no intolerances. Several have stated their belief that gluten free means the same thing as having no preservatives like MSG. :huh: A lot of people don't bother to educate themselves and just blindly purchase whatever is currently trending as healthy. We sell a crapload of the Skinnygirl products too, because they are low calorie. Few people notice that to be low calorie, they also have to be low alcohol.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I make exceptions for "clean" ice cream and homebaked goods

Good lord.
  • Chocolate Cake Martini
    1 PART FRANGELICO
    1 PART VANILLA VODKA
    GARNISH - SUGAR COATED LEMON WEDGE

shake ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker
    strain into a sugar rimmed cocktail glass

http://www.cocktailsdrinkrecipes.com/cocktail-recipes/chocolate-cake-martini.html

Adding sugar to the alcohol :)
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    ethanol is metabolized like a 2 carbon fat though...

^This. It's still not the same as a sugar. I don't touch the stuff (alcohol) personally. I did have some tasty strawberry fluff lastnight coated with Hershey's chocolate syrup.

Man that was good.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    hell no
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    I go back one step further. Sugar is highly processed CO2 and H20. I stick just to water and breathing, all natural!

photosynthesis_equation.jpg

330bk81.gif
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    so if i understand this correctly, if you eat sugar, it's bad.

if yeast pre-eats your sugars and poops out ethanol, it's good.

so eating (drinking) yeast poop (aka ethanol) is good.
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member

Most of the people I know that actively seek out gluten free alcohols do so because they can't tolerate the gluten even in alcohols. The rest, well, it depends on what they're getting. Things like wine and sherry are often used for cooking, where being organic may make a difference in the resulting flavor profile.
    I thought that about the gluten as well, but we've had to bring in more and more gluten free products lately and many of the buyers comment that they are buying it because it is 'healthier' and say they have no intolerances. Several have stated their belief that gluten free means the same thing as having no preservatives like MSG. :huh: A lot of people don't bother to educate themselves and just blindly purchase whatever is currently trending as healthy. We sell a crapload of the Skinnygirl products too, because they are low calorie. Few people notice that to be low calorie, they also have to be low alcohol.

Haha, I did notice that, and when I pointed it out, was thought to be crazy or something. $2-3 more a bottle, less alcohol content. I can water down my own vodka, TYVM.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Chocolate Cake Martini
    1 PART FRANGELICO
    1 PART VANILLA VODKA
    GARNISH - SUGAR COATED LEMON WEDGE

shake ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker
    strain into a sugar rimmed cocktail glass

http://www.cocktailsdrinkrecipes.com/cocktail-recipes/chocolate-cake-martini.html

Adding sugar to the alcohol :)

OMG that's a total panty wetter
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member

Haha, I did notice that, and when I pointed it out, was thought to be crazy or something. $2-3 more a bottle, less alcohol content. I can water down my own vodka, TYVM.
    What, you don't want to pay a reality-tv-star/chef to do it for you? :laugh:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

it's more like yeast wee than yeast poo. Poo is just undigested food that's left the body, (i.e. egestion), whereas wee contains the waste products of metabolic processes in the body (excretion). So ethanol is yeast wee.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    What is the definition of sugar-phobe?
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    What is the definition of sugar-phobe?

It is a molecule of sugar shaped in a circle.

Wait, that's a sugar-globe. Carry on.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    I make exceptions for "clean" ice cream and homebaked goods

Good lord.

"CLEAN" icecream:huh: DONT disrespect my "precious" again!!!!!!!:laugh:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    all kinds of sugar, just the highly processed kind with no other nutritional value.

You know sugar is considered a "nutritive sweetener" (as opposed to non-nutritive sweeteners like aspartame)?

Yeah, it turns out that sugar is a carbohydrate. Carbohydrates are macronutrients.

Macronutrient.

Sugar is inherently nutritive, as it provides calories.

That's why I said "no OTHER nutritional value" instead of "no nutritional value" ... if you want to pick nits, at least be accurate in your assessment of my statement. (EDITED TO ADD FOR CLARITY: If I ingest sugar, I try to make sure it has OTHER nutritional value in addition to its energy provision. Examples: calcium, protein, fiber, minerals, vitamins ... which is why I make exceptions for "clean" ice cream and homebaked goods.) As I said, it's a personal priority. We all have ours. Isn't that the point? To prioritize and choose wisely?)

so Ben & Jerry's does not have calcium and protein? do the oatmeal raisin cookies from Subway not have fiber? you have not chosen "wisely", you have chosen based on the way you label foods as good and bad or healthy and unhealthy. there's a difference.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member

it's more like yeast wee than yeast poo. Poo is just undigested food that's left the body, (i.e. egestion), whereas wee contains the waste products of metabolic processes in the body (excretion). So ethanol is yeast wee.

MMMMMM yeasty wee
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member

so drinking from a bottle of booze is like having a colony of yeast wizzing in your mouth! :drinker:
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Do paleo people realize there is sugar in fruit?

Or that paleo is kind of a scam, because unless they go into the forest and forage and kill all their food then they are reaping the benefits of our agricultural society and not doing anything that can ever be described as paleo (not that there really is a definition since they ate what they found).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Why do you care what other people eat or drink?
This discussion has been closed.