How to stop losing weight?

Options
Hello all!
I'm almost to my goal of 200 lbs. I'm currently at 214 lbs, so I only have about a month left in my journey. I went from about 310 lbs to 214 since June 2nd.

My biggest problem is gonna be maintaining my weight without losing anymore. I want to maintain 195-200. The reason i'm asking now is so that when the time comes, i'm educated and it would be easy to make that transition to maintain instead of being in weight loss mode.

Any tips? and right now i eat on average 1200 calories per day and drink only water.

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    96 pounds in 4 months? wow.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes. Pick a weight range you want to maintain in - say 5 pounds. Lose to the bottom of that range and focus on staying inside it.

Given that fast loss, how much a deficit are you on? This was written for someone at a 500 calorie deficit. You'll have to adjust if you are way more than that.

Up your calories over the course of a month until you find a stable point. For example, up 100 calories/day for the first week. You will probably immediately jump up because your body is replenishing some things, but it will drop down again if you stick to it. After you've stabilized or maybe lost a little more than where yous tarted, up another 100 calories/day. See how that goes for a week or so.

Everybody's body is different, but you will find a good range.

Most people have a harder time maintaining the weight they lost for more than six months than they had losing the weight in the first place. Why? Because they go back to old habits. Exercising, logging, and staying in a tight weight zone are all supposed to help, according to the research.

Diet is most important in weight loss. Exercise is most important in maintaining.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Well, all you have to do is eat a maintenance level of calories. Set MFP to maintenance or use the TDEE approach and set to maintenance. Most people dial back their deficit as they approach goal...kinda like a plane coming in for a landing....the plane doesn't come in doing mach 1, it slows down for a smooth landing...this provides less shock to the system. If you go from having a huge deficit to maintenance overnight, your body isn't going to have time to adapt to the new intake and it's going to store those calories.

In summary, dial back...If you're over 1 Lb per week now I'd dial it back to about 1 Lb per week...then when you have about 10 Lbs to go, dial it back to about 1/2 Lb per week. Also, I hope you've been hitting the weight room...if not, get on it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    eat your TDEE.

if you keep losing- eat more.

it's not rocket science.

congrats by the way.
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Any tips? and right now i eat on average 1200 calories per day and drink only water.

Congrats on your success :) The one thing that stands out to me is the fact that you only eat 1200 cals/day and you're a young male (to put it in perspective, I'm a 5'7 female and my BMR - basal metabolic rate - is just over 1500 cals). I would definitely start increasing calories by 100-200 cals per week until you reach TDEE - 20% and then stay there until you reach your goal weight, when you should go to around your TDEE. The main reason for this is to make sure that your new lifestyle is sustainable.

Don't worry if you gain a bit at first - your body is adjusting to the new calories, but you should get back on track too. Also, lifting weights is a great way to sustain a healthy metabolism, plus it makes a huge difference over time in terms of appearance.

Good luck!
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    96 pounds in 4 months? wow.

:noway:

:ohwell:
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Start eating more NOW. Increase your calories gradually, going up 100-200 or so every week or two, to give your body time to adjust. You will keep losing even with increased calories; 1200 is very little for a young man to be eating, so even without doing any calculations I know you could be eating a lot more.