Sit ups and headaches

Options
So I have recently (15 days ago) started doing sit ups as part of a 30 day challenge. Started with 15, now today I am at 70. Also some crunches, leg lifts, and plank.

Here is the issue, I always end up with a headache after completing my routine for the day. WHY? How can I eliminate the headache? I don't want to quit half way through, but the headache is killer!!

BTW: Have not done sit ups in probably 17 years!!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You might be jutting your head forward, causing neck strain. Try to keep your head aligned with your back as your come up. To align your head, simply lay on your back with your head on the floor.

What is your goal for doing so many sit-ups? They do not, as many people think, target abdominal fat.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Just a challenge a friend and I started to do.

I have a stomach / muffin top to get rid of.

What would you suggest as an alternative? Cuz quite honestly I am not a fan of sit ups. I prefer crunches.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    1) challenges are NOT a routine. it's a challenge as something to do for fun as a way to kill time when you're not doing your normal proper routine. what challenges do not do is get good results.

2) you can't spot reduce. doing sit ups will do nothing for fixing a muffin top. fat loss is a byproduct of diet. not exercise.

3) that said, do a full body resistance training routine. while fat loss is all about diet, by doing resistance training you'll retain more lean mass.
  • cursiny
    Options
    It was just a 30 day ab challenge to get us started working out everyday (well with build in rest days)
  • phjorg1
    Options
    It was just a 30 day ab challenge to get us started working out everyday (well with build in rest days)
    i suggest you get started working out with an actual workout routine then. challenges are at best very minor in gains due to being horribly imbalanced in their approach and at worst will hurt you.

Look at it this way. The body has 7 primal movement patterns. push, pull, squat, lunge, bend, twist and gait. does your current exercise template cover most, or all, of these movements? because it should... situps are bend, you're still missing 6 more.
  • bunnies26
    bunnies26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sit ups give me headaches too. I do crunches, dancing, circuit training, full body exercises instead. Pay attention to your body.
  • cursiny
    Options
    i suggest you get started working out with an actual workout routine then. challenges are at best very minor in gains due to being horribly imbalanced in their approach and at worst will hurt you.

Look at it this way. The body has 7 primal movement patterns. push, pull, squat, lunge, bend, twist and gait. does your current exercise template cover most, or all, of these movements? because it should... situps are bend, you're still missing 6 more.

It includes sit ups, crunches, leg lifts, squats, and plank.
    I also am doing 30 min of cardio 6 days a week.
    And some weigh machines at the gym as well.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    agree with what's been said.

I personally think sit ups are just stupid- and I almost entirely refuse to do them straight out (decline weighted have a special place in my heart)

maybe try with a plank instead- or go for russian twists.

but you might just need to adjust form- look upwards- like 45 degrees- not striagh up- pretend your favorite fruit is under your chin- okay ifyou love banan's and strawberries it's a terrible example- shut up you now officially love apples and oranges...

so pretend your favorite apple is under your chin. Tilt to far back- it falls out and bruises and now you have nasty bruised fruit... too much and you pop it out or squish it.

this mental image helps keep your head in alignment without letting it go all over forward or backwards.

and yes- spot reducing doesn't work. just as well might say it.
  • phjorg1
    Options

It includes sit ups, crunches, leg lifts, squats, and plank.
    I also am doing 30 min of cardio 6 days a week.
    And some weigh machines at the gym as well.
    So bend, bend, bend, bend, squat and isolation. Again, that's not a balanced template and should be changed.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i would follow a full-body program, because they're designed to prevent muscle imbalances. A popular program is New Rules of Lifting.. or use the one in my profile. Ab exercises won't give you the results you want. Vigorous cardio burns the most body fat, according to most studies. Where that fat is burned from is genetically determined - we can't control it.

It's good that you're exercising daily, but those "challenges" are usually bad news..