Not eating due to stress

I'm currently going through a family crisis and the thought of food disgusts me. I have been eating around 1000 calories the past few days just to get nutrients in and not pass out, but it's a struggle under all the stress I'm going through. With the help of a therapist and my doctor I hope to resolve this, but the crisis situation is not going to end anytime soon.

I am still very overweight so I'm not worried about the weight I'm losing (it feels like it's the only good thing coming out of this actually), but I am worried that once my appetite returns I'll jump right back up to my previous weight.

Has anyone been in similar situation? How did your weight fluctuate during your time of crisis?

Replies

• katimama
    katimama Posts: 191 Member
    bump! anyone?
  • Mrsmegans
    Mrsmegans Posts: 5 Member
    I know I'm late, but I did have a similar situation earlier this year. I lost quite a bit a weight that way AND it stayed off. I was eating very little and not exercising. There was a slight upward fluctuation once things were calmer but it was very small and quickly lost. My only complaint about the loss during that time was that it was so fast my skin felt really loose and jiggly, but that slowly fixed itself within a few weeks.

Unfortunately, once things were calmer I suffered from a lack of motivation and had a month where my weight cycled up and down all month only to end up with no loss at the end. Once I had that month I seemed to get back on track. I don't know if it was related or not. I hope your crisis situation gets better and I'll keep you in my thoughts.
  • katimama
    katimama Posts: 191 Member
    thanks for the response, it was good to hear. I haven't been exercising but I'm hoping I can get in a few workouts here and there to avoid the saggy skin (and to help with the stress)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    The only time I have ever not really eaten much was when I had the flu. :laugh:

I lost about 10lb in a week, and as soon as I got better and started eating normally again it came back on.

I wouldn't worry about it if it happens to you though, the most important thing is you get better. Concentrate on that first.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    I lost about 25lbs this summer because I couldn't eat due to stress. I supplemented with some protein shakes because I wanted to make sure I was getting some kind of nutrition from some where, even if it wasn't as good as eating solid food.

I just couldn't get solid food past my lips, the thought of it turned my stomach. If I forced myself to eat, it usually didn't sit well anyway. I didn't starve, I didn't get physically sick, I was ok. I did get through it and my appetite came back. All was good.

I'm sorry for what you are going through and I hope you get through it quickly. In the meantime, the best thing you can do for yourself is to take care of yourself. Make sure you are sleeping, exercising and trying to get some food into your body. Good luck!
  • Nikachelle
    Nikachelle Posts: 66 Member
    I've gone through this very recently. I dropped about 10 pounds in a month (mid-Jan to mid-Feb of this year). The weight stayed off, but it wasn't healthy. Try to avoid any kind of exercise that is overly strenuous. I tried running while consuming less than 400 calories a day and I just about passed out a few times.

Thankfully, you're eating more than I managed to (and often when I did eat, the emotional trauma caused me to throw it back up anyway just due to nausea) but overall don't worry about weight loss/gain right now. Just try to make sure you're not binge eating junk. Once your appetite does return (which, for me, happened when I eventually adapted to the stress even though the problems were still ongoing) make sure you're eating healthy stuff - don't let your body binge on junk or it'll keep wanting more.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Unfortunately, I have the opposite problem. I tend to try to solve my problems with food.

The best advice I can give is to try and get the most nutrients from the little you are eating.

I'm sorry for what you are dealing with and I hope your family situation works out for the best. :flowerforyou:
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    I lost 25lbs in the month of May due to an extremely stressful period with my teenage son. I was basically living on caffeine and amazon.com instant videos. 100% not healthy at all. It is 5+ months later and none of that weight has come back. I've not lost any more weight either.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Yes! I cannot eat during times of stress. I completely understand. Listen...don't let the lack of calories stress you even more. It is what it is. When you can make yourself eat, make it count. Protein protein protein. Grilled chicken is relatively innocuous to my stomach. A light piece of grilled fish is good too. Steamed veggies are easier to get down too. Really can't eat? How about a glass of milk? (I'm a milk lover.)

A month or so ago, I went through a week where I ate almost nothing. Yes, the weight dropped off a bit faster. I didn't go crazy with my diet when I was able to eat more normally, so, yes, the weight stayed off.

Hang in there. This too shall pass.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Its a different situation, isn't it - NOT eating because of stress. I can't eat when I am stressed, my friends long ago called me weird because that was "backwards". I lost weight during really bad stress situations but since I was a gluten (is that how its spelled, when you are super greedy?) I gained all my weight back each time. Stressed - no eating. Happy - greedy. Good luck to you.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    When I'm stressed, I lose my appetite as well. Currently, I am unemployed, living in a new city where I don't know anyone, and my fiancé is at work all day. I've been on interviews, have countless applications out, but I haven't gotten anything. So money is very very tight right now, and we're struggling to keep our heads above water. I'm becoming more and more stressed about how we're going to pay our bills, and I'm having to force myself to eat. Some days, I don't get above 800 calories. It's not great, but it's something. Just make sure that what you are eating is as healthy as possible, so you can make the most of it. You'll get through this.