Anyone do HIIT?

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    i don't think hiit means what you think it means. supersets != hiit.

And hate to break it to you, but you can't do hiit with weights. or at least if you try to, you're a stupid idiot and asking for injury.

I never said super sets.

You did.

and yes- you can absolute use weights to do a HIIT workout- but it's not a heavy lift like power or strenght.

But it's absolutely possible. The entire crossfit basis is wrapped around combining high intensity with weights.

I've been doing it for years. and while I'm no genius- I'm not a stupid idiot.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    HIIT rocks socks, i cant eat for 4 hours before doing it, otherwise I will throw up.

You dont get good at it, you just get better at it, its the nature of it

I go between strength (ok its not pure strength but it is v. crossfitty), plyo/cardio and core. Our trainer is mean, but love it

Its so hard to laugh after it, it hurts so much.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    itt: people who have no idea what hiit is. If you're using a treadmill, you're not doing hiit. sorry. 8mph is not anywhere near full out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

edit: 8mph = 28 second 100m. thats like 75% slower than you should be running. or in other words, thats not much faster than what you should be running for the "recovery" portion of hiit, much less the active portion. There is zero reason here for anyone not morbidly obese or hurt to be running 100m over 17-18 seconds. Most anyone with any running training will be running sub 16 easy. 18 second 100m translates to 12.5mph. so thats a bare min of what your treadmill should be set to to be considered hiit imo..

oh look, here's a video of a 6 year old running 100m 10 seconds faster than you. http://youtu.be/qSNA_Tm8usY How embarrassing to know that children are able to output 100% more intensity than you. Self reflection time folks. You're not working out hard enough.

Speed matters not, dear troll. HIIT is all about heartrate. 85-95% of your MHR followed by a period of rest. If someone runs 6 miles an hour on a 8% incline and hits that HR, they're doing HIIT. If someone does 20 super-fast bench reps and hits their HR, they're doing HIIT.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    itt: people who have no idea what hiit is. If you're using a treadmill, you're not doing hiit. sorry. 8mph is not anywhere near full out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

edit: 8mph = 28 second 100m. thats like 75% slower than you should be running. or in other words, thats not much faster than what you should be running for the "recovery" portion of hiit, much less the active portion. There is zero reason here for anyone not morbidly obese or hurt to be running 100m over 17-18 seconds. Most anyone with any running training will be running sub 16 easy. 18 second 100m translates to 12.5mph. so thats a bare min of what your treadmill should be set to to be considered hiit imo..

oh look, here's a video of a 6 year old running 100m 10 seconds faster than you. http://youtu.be/qSNA_Tm8usY How embarrassing to know that children are able to output 100% more intensity than you. Self reflection time folks. You're not working out hard enough.

Speed matters not, dear troll. HIIT is all about heartrate. 85-95% of your MHR followed by a period of rest. If someone runs 6 miles an hour on a 8% incline and hits that HR, they're doing HIIT. If someone does 20 super-fast bench reps and hits their HR, they're doing HIIT.
    hiit has nothing to do with heartrate in any sense of the word as it's not aerobic. it's about intensity. Hell, even the description of what hiit is and it's variants say that.

again so it sinks if, HR has NOTHING to do with hiit. and the fact you talk about resistance training and HR proves you have zero clue about lifting too. you do understand the difference between aerobic and anaerobic energy systems right? lactic acid system, atp-cp and all that?

edit: i'll make it simple for you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training
    is an enhanced form of interval training, an exercise strategy alternating periods of short intense anaerobic exercise
    fyi: anaerobic means doesn't use oxygen, meaning independent of heart rate.
    A HIIT session often consists of a warm up period of exercise, followed by three to ten repetitions of high intensity exercise, separated by medium intensity exercise for recovery, and ending with a period of cool down exercise. The high intensity exercise should be done at near maximum intensity.

Note is says intensity. NOT Heartrate.

So boom, you got owned son.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

And hate to break it to you, but you can't do hiit with weights. or at least if you try to, you're a stupid idiot and asking for injury.

I never said super sets.

You did.

and yes- you can absolute use weights to do a HIIT workout- but it's not a heavy lift like power or strenght.

But it's absolutely possible. The entire crossfit basis is wrapped around combining high intensity with weights.

I've been doing it for years. and while I'm no genius- I'm not a stupid idiot.
    actually you did. combining movements = supersets. http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightlifting/a/supersets.htm
    with 10 exercises- with 2 exercises- rotating between 'cardio' and weights. Meaning- do jump rope and BB complex- or simple lifts- or PLYOS.

I love mixing weights with calethestics or plyometrics. Frog jumps- burpee box jumps? KB swings- push ups- pull ups.

since you don't know what supersets are, I suggest you might rethink talking about what you think hiit is too.

I'll make this plain as day, you can't lift and do hiit. it doesn't exist. I mean look at your listing of exercise. kb swings? seriously? hiit with kb swings? i mean just stop already if you honestly believe this. Get right on that technical movements that cannot be done for speed, lol. I will give credence to pull and pushups though. tabata protocols work great doing them. But thats not exactly lifting now is it.

you seem to be confusing cns fatigue with actual fatigue. not the same thing, and dangerous to push the former.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to run to perform HIIT. I pair barbell complexes with jump rope and burpees.

I'll do 2 sequences of barbell complexes followed by a minute of jump rope, two more sequences, a minute of burpees, 2 more sequences, 1 minute jump rope.....rinse, repeat. I usually do 15 minutes. Drag your sweaty as$ out of the gym after that and feel like a champ.

THIS

It drives me a little insane when people say they HIIT for cardio.

I'm like. sigh. HIIT isn't cardio. It isn't running. it isn't jump rope. it isn't spinning.

HIIT is a WAY of training- you can DO it with anything- with one exercise- with 10 exercises- with 2 exercises- rotating between 'cardio' and weights. Meaning- do jump rope and BB complex- or simple lifts- or PLYOS.

I love mixing weights with calethestics or plyometrics. Frog jumps- burpee box jumps? KB swings- push ups- pull ups.

Whatever.

doesn't matter- it's simply a timing structure- of HOW You do the workout- it can be any activity.

that being said I love HIIT training- it's perfect for my days I don't have time to do a full 4 hour workout.

Just because the previously mentioned programs do not match *your* program does not discredit them.

....Before you go around flinging *kitten* everywhere (sorry, I mean "knowledge"), perhaps you should Google the meaning of barbell complexes. They're done with hardly any weight as a means of cardiovascular endurance. Paired with jump rope/burpee intervals, that is considered HIIT. And I think my successful performance of said program for the last year without injury and resulting in less body fat further proves my point.

High intensity interval training=Training in intervals at high intensities. Intervals= pausing, or breaking in activity.
    Doing one activity that elevates the heart rate near max and then performing another activity that lowers the heart rate followed again by the activity that elevates the heart rate=HIIT, my dear "idiot"...

...I shall let your 5 friends and 0 lbs. lost validate any further arguments.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    ::so tempting to feed the troll::
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lol you're a better man than I... I'm bored at work- i can't help myself
    since you don't know what supersets are, I suggest you might rethink talking about what you think hiit is too.

I'll make this plain as day, you can't lift and do hiit. it doesn't exist. I mean look at your listing of exercise. kb swings? seriously? hiit with kb swings? i mean just stop already if you honestly believe this. Get right on that technical movements that cannot be done for speed, lol. I will give credence to pull and pushups though. tabata protocols work great doing them. But thats not exactly lifting now is it.

you seem to be confusing cns fatigue with actual fatigue. not the same thing, and dangerous to push the former.

lifting.

picking something up. putting it down.

if I set my timer to 12 rounds of 10 /50 and do

squat press
    row
    pull up
    OHP

I see 4 lifts

I see 12 minutes of 4 lifts

they may not be excessively HEAVY lifts- but they are still LIFTS.

AMRAP- a form of hiit

Bear complex + weighted walking lunge

nope- not a lift- not at all. PS I do that set with 75lbs of BB weight... so I'm not talking little pink weights)

So by your definition- anything that is done for time- or for speed- is never a lift?

really? that's absurd.

it's just a completely different TYPE of lifting.

I've been doing that kind of training for years... and all my major lifts are triple digits ABOVE my body weight... my Dead lift is pushing 300 lbs.

I know what 'lifting' is. I don't use barbie weights.

HIIT is just a WAY of doing it. it doesn't matter WHAT you do- the exercise is completely irrelevant- your either doing it for time or you are doing AMRAP. It's not rocket science- it's just not 'heavy' lifting.