Marathon is in 2 days.. just found out i'm pregnant!

Options
Any ladies run a half/full RIGHT after they were pregnant, or even before they found out?

I'm so happy, but incredibly nervous about doing any harm. I feel like as long as I take it REALLY slow and drink/eat plenty, I should be fine! Everything i'm reading online says if you've already been running, you should be okay.

I just need reassurance! This will likely be my ONLY marathon as I really did NOT enjoy training and don't see myself going through it again.

Replies

• sunshine07611
    sunshine07611 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have not done a marathon, but my doctors told me that as long as you have been doing the activity before getting pregnant you can safely continue to do it. Just listen to your body and if you start feeling uncomfortable or cramp, then stop. But do be sure that you stay plenty hydrated!!

And Congratulations!!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you've been doing all the training (which I assume you would since most people wouldn't try a marathon otherwise) you'll be fine. My daughter ran until she was about 6 months and a woman in our running club ran until she was 8 months!
  • NyxButterfly
    NyxButterfly Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Well first, congratulations!! I hope the baby comes healthy and happy! As for doing the marathon, I honestly don't think you should. While it's not too far along, it's better to hedge your bets (so to speak) and not do it. But of course, you can do as you wish. ^^
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Any ladies run a half/full RIGHT after they were pregnant, or even before they found out?

I'm so happy, but incredibly nervous about doing any harm. I feel like as long as I take it REALLY slow and drink/eat plenty, I should be fine! Everything i'm reading online says if you've already been running, you should be okay.

I just need reassurance! This will likely be my ONLY marathon as I really did NOT enjoy training and don't see myself going through it again.

The wife ran 5ks-5 miles until 32 weeks this past summer. No issues. Unless you are high risk it should be fine.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Apart from saying call your DR, I would say if you could concieve during marathon training, one race if taken at a moderate pace should be fine. I assume you have done the long training runs needed, ie 20+ milers, and another 6 really is not that much more stress on your body

Edited to say Congrats lol!!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    To everyone who asked.. yes. i've been training for 4+ months for this race. I've done 10,12,13,15,16,20, and another 16 mile run along with all the rest of the weekly runs for the past 4 months. I think it will do it, since I don't plan on doing another one.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    First, ask your OB. Follow their recommendations.

That said, My wife's best friend, who is a Neonatal NP, ran at least one Half Marathon while pregnant with her first, and 2 half marathons in her first trimester with her 2nd kid, both pregnancies with the blessing of her OB. Her 2nd race of the 2nd pregnancy was actually very close to the beginning of the 2nd trimester.
    I know her dates because my wife is also pregnant and due within 3 weeks of her, not that I'm creepy and stalk her.

Run, have fun, celebrate the accomplishment. Unless your doctor says not to, based on your health/pregnancy history you're not going to do any harm.
    Think about this: If you had waited until Monday, after the race, to take the test, you'd have never worried.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    Options
    RunBrew- Exactly. Not to be gross but I haven't even missed my period yet. I just tested because I knew soemthing was up. It wasn't due until Sunday. Had I not tested early, I would have ran it.
  • deannamalik
    Options
    As long as you were exercising before the pregnancy and your body is use to it you should be ok. I definitely would talk to your OBGYN and ask if they think it is safe. But I dont think that any doctor would tell you that you need to stop exercising unless it was super strenuous like crossfit or something. Doctor knows best!
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I ran throughout my pregnancy and did a half-marathon at 25 weeks pregnant, so I'm all for continuing doing what you've already been doing in terms of running/ exercise. That being said, if I were you, I would probably change my registration to the half distance, but I know I can do that pretty much in my sleep on any given day without it affecting my muscles, needing extra sleep/ recuperation afterwards, not needing to eat gels throughout the event etc. Congratulations and have a great event.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Paula Radcliffe ran a marathon 8 months pregnant.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1282854/Paula-Radcliffe-Im-pregnant-running-14-miles-day--childbirth-real-test.html

But while not all of us are Olympics level trained athletes, your body has been running for a while. PRovided your doctor doesn't see anything wrong with it, I would still do it. I ran 20-30 miles a week while I was pregnant (with my puke bucket as I also had Hyperemesis gravidarum). Both my sons are fine and healthy and beautiful.

Congratulations and good luck!!!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    Options
    Thanks everyone and Cath- I don't think i'm going to change events. I've done 9 half marathons and trained for this being the only one I do. I ran 20 miles without having any problems... I think i'll give it ago. Just wanted to see what the general consensus is.

thanks!!
  • vjw221
    vjw221 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There was the lady who ran the Chicago Marathon 2 years ago full term (39ish weeks). She gave birth hours after crossing the finish line.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It's soooo early. Run it. It'll be fine.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    While I agree with the statement everyone has been saying - "as long as you've already been running, it's okay", I think you should ask your doctor...

It's one thing to keep running short distances, but the marathon is a really long distance and does put a toll on your body. I know you've done up to a 20 mile training run, but the reason most training plans don't have you go over that is because of how tough on your body it is to run much longer than that, and that it takes a while to recover.

I am by no means saying not to do it, but I would definitely get a professional opinion and not just from MFP users.

EDIT to add - And of course, Congratulations! That is very exciting!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    My guess most Dr's wouldn't have a problem with it if you always been a runner. Of course the best answer is from you after you talked to your physician and get his recommendation.

If you do good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105383-some1-that-has-had-cancer-would-like-share-a-run-with-me-2
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    first CONGRATZ....

then like others said, call your Dr and see what they say and then if you feel up to it, go for it.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I don't have an OB right now as I literally just found out yesterday so I don't have a doctor to ask. I am planning on waiting until atleast my missed period comes and goes before making the appointment because it's SO early.

I appreciate everyone's feedback!