Non Scale Victory - Blood Pressure

Options
JaneAero
JaneAero Posts: 94 Member
Had an unexpected NSV yesterday, started my weight loss journey with a very raised blood pressure of 156/90, had to wear a 24hr heart monitor and was told to lose weight & try and get BP down or go on medication. The Doctor said I will give you a 3 month grace period after I begged him to see if losing a little weight would help first.

After 3 months and 25lbs in total lost (both before and after joining MFP), I went back yesterday and had my BP checked and it came in at an incredible 120/81, he had to measure it again, then tried a different machine, same result 120/81. Seriously, thats like an atheletes BP lol gobsmacked, have no idea if that is a one off but fingers crossed it stays down, I also cut out salt to under 6g, sodium to under 1500 and switched to decaffinated teabags and coffee. I want to lose a 100lbs in total and didnt think losing such a small part of this number would alter my BP so radically, im so lucky because even skinny people get BP, maybe mine will climb again one day who knows but im just hoping it stays down, dont know because im not a Doctor.

My start weight at home was 226lbs, my MFP start weight was 208lbs and my current weight is 201lbs, thats on 1400 calories a day since beginning of July, approx 3 months , 8lb a month, 2lbs a week on average at age 54 on the 25th of this month so im very happy.

Just wanted to share my exciting news with everyone

Replies

• MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your NSV *and* your 25lbs down! It's very motivating to me to hear about the health benefits of weightloss.

Keep up the great work!
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You rawk!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    That is a very wonderful NSV! It's awesome when you see your health imprving along with your waistline.
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    awesome my BP has been high since early teens and just losing 15lbs made it go closer to the "normal" range. They say losing just 10lbs can change your bp for the better.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!