So I have an iron deficiency...

Options
And normally I just take a prenatal supplement, since it's got more than the amount of iron I need. However, I don't always remember to take it, and so I suffer when that time of the month comes and I end up dizzy and anemic.

I don't always remember to take the pill, but I never forget about food, lol! Anyone have any suggestions for iron rich foods besides red meats that I can add to my daily diet?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Cook in a cast iron pan.
  • MyOwnLittleWorld
    Options
    Cook in a cast iron pan.
    ...the obvious answer would be the one I wouldn't think of. xP lol
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Cook in a cast iron pan.
    ...the obvious answer would be the one I wouldn't think of. xP lol
    :laugh:
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Spinach is a great source of iron, particularly if you cook it a little.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    4 OZ ORANGE JUICE AND RAISINS
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Lentils lentils lentils!
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Taking vitamin c with your iron helps your body absorb it. Avoid caffeine within one hour before or after your iron supplement too because caffeine inhibits the absorbsion.

I have iron deficiency anemia and my doctor has me on a double dose of iron daily because it's so low. Try to remember to take your pills. I find taking mine with lunch and supper helps because the food helps me not get an upset stomach and it's something I have to do anyway, so it's easier to remember to take my pills if I do it with a meal.

:)
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I was eating lots of high iron foods when I became deficient. I had to take a good quality iron supplement for a long time to help my levels. I took Poly-Iron 150 (non-prescription but kept in pharmacy) because it is better absorbed than cheap iron supplements & it has no negative side effects.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    lentils simmered in some sort of tomato sauce would be great, ton of iron and vit c...then you'll actually absorb it.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    check out this website - I like it since it provides detailed info on many food sources of iron and how much they have.

http://www.dietitians.ca/Nutrition-Resources-A-Z/Factsheets/Minerals/Food-Sources-of-Iron.aspx
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Beans and greens (spinach, kale, etc.).

I know you said "other than red meat," but the iron profile vs. fat content of venison is amazing if you can get your hands on some. I don't eat red meat because of how it hurts my stomach, but venison usually doesn't do that for me.
  • cpsf73
    cpsf73 Posts: 27
    Options
    dark chocolate... it surprisingly has a lot of iron
  • rosanna421
    rosanna421 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i healed my anemia naturally by clean eating. i encourporated alot of dark leafy veggies, and salad like romaine, everyday!!! romaine was easiest to use, and add lemon juice for vitamin c helps with absorption. unsweetened cocoa has alot of iron too.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am also on iron tabs, I don't eat meat and there's only so much leafy green stuff I can eat a day. I sometimes forget but It is getting to be a habit now, just like brushing teeth.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    one of my kids has low iron and it's hard to get her to eat much so on the doctor's advice I give her a liquid iron supplement in a bit of orange juice each day. The viit C in the orange juice helps with absorption. If you take the iron supplements, make sure you increase your iron and water intake throughout the day otherwise you might get constipated.
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    And normally I just take a prenatal supplement, since it's got more than the amount of iron I need. However, I don't always remember to take it, and so I suffer when that time of the month comes and I end up dizzy and anemic.

I don't always remember to take the pill, but I never forget about food, lol! Anyone have any suggestions for iron rich foods besides red meats that I can add to my daily diet?

With all due respect, is it a doctor's diagnosis that you have iron deficiency or is it a self diagnosis? I'm asking beause most women understates iron deficiency and take it as a mere dietary problem. Iron deficiency does have several reasons including malabsorption and dietary interference and taking supplements won't solve your problem unless the sole reason is inadequate dietary intake. If you haven't already, it's best to see a doctor.

Though, since you say you feel most affected during mensturation, it may as well be due to heavy bleeding which is worth a visit to a doctor again.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Another note: when you eat iron rich foods, avoid eating calcium rich foods (ie dairy) at the same time. Calcium and iron compete for absorption. Also, also take with vitamin C or eat vitamin C rich foods with iron rich foods (spinach salad with orange slices, lean red meat with broccoli or bell peppers, etc)
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    OP, I was having the same problem. I found that if I decreased my intake of caffeine and artificial sweeteners, it really helps with the dizziness. I was told I was anemic also, and they put me on iron supplements, but they ran out. Going to the doc in the am, but just thought I'd mention this. I went as far as having an ablasion done to help with the dizziness, and it hasn't helped. The other posters have already mentioned any ideas that I could have offered. Good luck!!!