IS my workout plan good? Someone told me it was horrible

Options
2»

Replies

• whiteberry17
    Options
    Just wanna clear up that this workout is only for once a week. I wont be doing this every day. Tomorrow I will be doing more weights. What do you guys recommend I change it too? Like more weights I know that but should I take treadmill out of my workout today or what?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter what kind of cardio you do. The point of cardio is to increase your body's consumption of oxygen and therefore force your heart and blood vessels to deliver more of it to your tissues. Running, cycling, swimming, all accomplish that fairly equally well.

In other words: for cardio, do whatever you enjoy most. You're much more likely to stick with it long-term if you pick one, or maybe two, types of cardio and get much better at it and set long-term goals like 5k time, distance goals, or something like that.

Anyway, cardio isn't really all that necessary. it's good or you and all, but maybe two hours a week is all you need for 99% of the health benefits of cardio.

You should focus your routine on lifting weights or some other effective kind of strength training. Lean mass is where you get that tight, toned, shapely look.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    bunny-hop-o.gif
  • whiteberry17
    Options
    So would it be better if I do 1 machine for 40 minutes and the last 30 minutes would be stuff like weights?
    example: 40 minutes stair master and then weight lifting after?

I apologize, im not so educated on how to workout the right way.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    It beats sitting on the couch, but I would find some way to incorporate a little strength and flexibility to the mix. There are a lot of ways you could do this. Mix it up and make it fun not a boring routine.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Im going to the gym for the first time today after taking the tour I saw all the machines and heres what I wanted to do today:

20 minutes treadmill
    20 minutes cycling
    10 minutes stepper machine
    20 minutes stair master
    10 minutes aerobics (stuff like 10 squats,10 pushups etc.)

I asked some guy on yahoo answers if It was good and he told me to change the treadmill to 10 minutes and cycling to 15 minutes. And to fast 2 days a week. I dont know but that sounded like bad advice to me. Is my workout okay or should I change i up?

the guy's a moron, or a troll.

suggesting the time change between the cardio makes it seem like he's just making fun of you.

If you are trying to lose weight (eating at a defecit) you'll want to do some kind of resistance training to hang onto the muscle mass you have.

Is that necessary? no, but neither is exercise at all if the idea is just to lose weight
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    When did an hour become "lots of cardio"?
  • jonnythan
    Options

80 != 60, FWIW.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Just wanna clear up that this workout is only for once a week. I wont be doing this every day. Tomorrow I will be doing more weights. What do you guys recommend I change it too? Like more weights I know that but should I take treadmill out of my workout today or what?

Alternate, 3 days cardio 3 days lifting, one complete day of rest.

And how ever long you do the cardio for is up to you. Though, the 80 minutes of cardio is kind of a lot, but if that is what you want to do. I would maybe start out a little bit less on the cardio though. Too much too soon can lead to injury or burn out, just a thought.
  • whiteberry17
    Options
    Alright sounds good. Thanks everyone for the help
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think for your *FIRST* day of the gym its wonderful. Try out all the different things. See what you like. Then customize your routine based off of that for all of your future gym days :)
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    So would it be better if I do 1 machine for 40 minutes and the last 30 minutes would be stuff like weights?
    example: 40 minutes stair master and then weight lifting after?

I apologize, im not so educated on how to workout the right way.

Like many people have said, that depends on your goals. Are you trying to lose weight? Are you trying to improve your cardiovascular fitness? Are you improving your overall helath? Are you trying to get chronic disease under control?

I think Alex_is_Hawks gave you some solid advice on the last page. You don't have to break things up, and doing so can be counterproductive.

If you want to work out for 80 minutes a day, and you want to use all of those machines, break it up by pairing a couple of exercises to a day. You have to be the one ot design your own program so it is something you enjoy doing. An example could be as follows:

M- 40 minutes of treadmill followed by 40 minutes of stairmaster - followed by 10-15 miuntes of stretching/yoga poses
    T- Lifting and calisthenics (pushups, situps, body weight squats, etc) followed by 10-15 minutes of stretching/yoga poses
    W - 40 minutes of stepping machine (elliptical) followed by 40 minutes of cycling follwed by stretching
    Th - More lifting and calisthenics follwed by stretching
    Fr. - See M
    Sa - More strength
    Su - repeat pattern

Or you could if you prefer - mix cardio and strength everyday, and break up your muscle groups so you get a built in rest day when you work another muscle group the next day.

The combinations of things you can do are nearly endless. You could even try looking in a book about exercise to see if they can help you out.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

after the first minute.

I don't 'do' cardio- next to sit ups and juicing it's one of the most overrated myths about body composition in the fitness industry.

there is a perception it is required. it isn't. do cardio if you LIKE cardio.

do cardio if you are TRAINING for an event that requires cardiovascular exercise- or extra cutting.

But don't DO cardio if you think that's the way to work out.

that is why an hour of cardio is too much cardio.
  • HealthyNurseK
    HealthyNurseK Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think for your *FIRST* day of the gym its wonderful. Try out all the different things. See what you like. Then customize your routine based off of that for all of your future gym days :)

Some days when I'm not really into the gym, I'll mix up my cardio like that to get some variety in so I don't bore myself for too long on one machine.

Just see how you like it, which machines you enjoy more, and enjoy it! I'm guessing the person that told you this is horrible is just teasing you. Regular exercise and regular eating is the way to lose the weight and keep it off. No need to fast for days or anything like that.

I agree with the others that suggested incorporating strength training overall, but it doesn't have to be on your cardio day.

Are you just starting out? If so, 80 minutes of cardio might be daunting. What about starting with small goals - 30 minutes this week, 40 next, and build your way up to what works for you.

Good luck!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

after the first minute.

I don't 'do' cardio- next to sit ups and juicing it's one of the most overrated myths about body composition in the fitness industry.

do cardio if you are TRAINING for an event that requires cardiovascular exercise- or extra cutting.

some people just want to look good, some just want to be fit and healthy

might want to through in there that its actually good for your heart.

some people workout to be healthy
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    what is so terrible about it? its still moving your body and burning cals and fat. good on you i say. xxxx

The problem is your heart rate will go down as you switch machines, I think. I'd say do one piece of equipment each day, or two, for 30 min each. Then vary the equipment to keep muscle confusion.

Oh, and lift!

but I'm no expert, I'm just a person on the interwebz
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    some people just want to look good, some just want to be fit and healthy

might want to through in there that its actually good for your heart.

some people workout to be healthy

no I agree.

I often say- some people want to just "not be fat"

some people want to be "healthy"

some people want to be "fit"

and some people want to but more cut

but I still think cardio is the most overrated thing the fitness industry has feed us. it's helpful and it has it's place- i use it for cutting- I don't deny that- and about every 2-3 months I get saucy and go for a run because I like it. and I dance (but that isn't sustained cardio at ALL like 30 minutes of stair master/rowing/spinning is)

I'm not saying NEVER do it- I was slightly in jest (we joke about that on my other forums a lot)... do it if you like it- but it is not a requirement or cornerstone of a training program- not is a requirement for weight loss- is it helpful- sure- definitely helps create a bigger deficit but it isn't required.

it's just a pet peeve of mine that so many people think cardio is like the hole grail of weight loss.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options

after the first minute.

This ^

I'm not really a huge fan of cardio myself. I spend a couple of minutes on the treadmill before lifting just to get my blood pumping. This may turn out to be completely unnecessary, but I do it for whatever perceived benefit I get from it.

OP, Your routine isn't terrible if your goal is spending calories and building a little cardiovascular endurance. It would be terrible for my goals, so it's very goal dependent. My calories are precious to me because I am trying to build strength/muscle and gain some weight.

But usually I like to tell people that if they are doing something at the gym just to burn calories, they are completely wasting their time. Eat a bit less if you are trying to be in a deficit.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

When did MFP become all about one kind of "body composition"?

Cardiovascular fitness is a great thing, not to mention super sexy, and the only way to get it is through "lots of cardio".
  • jonnythan
    Options

When did MFP become all about "body recomposition"?

Cardiovascular fitness is a great thing, not to mention super sexy, and the only way to get it is through "lots of cardio".

She didn't say "body recomposition."

She said "body composition."