From cardio to heavy lifting = fat gain???

Options
I used to be a cardio NUT, working out 5-6 days a week either running or doing TurboFire and Insanity type videos. In that time, I got very small and lean.

I transitioned to heavy lifting a while back. I am doing the Strong Lifts program and my most recent numbers are the following:

Squat: 135 lb
Deadlift: 175 lb
Bench: 80 lbs
OHP: 70 lbs and working towards 75 lbs
Barbell row: 70 lbs (had to cut back the weight to correct form)

I work out three times a week, adding a 2-3 mile run after each workout (because I still love cardio).

The problem is I am gaining in inches around my midsection. The 'lean' look is gone and I am flabby all over. I really hoped the lifting would lean me out even more. It has had the opposite effect.

It is not water retention. I have had the 'water retention' experience before and this is nothing like it. This is just flab. Even my husband thinks it is strange.

Anyone ever experience this?

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The fat gain is definitely not from lifting.

The difference is before you were in a calorie deficit and now you are in a calorie surplus.

Consider that your activity level has decreased. Since you are not doing cardio 5-6 times a week, you are expending fewer calories. I would not suggest going back to that. Keep lifting, but lower calories back down to where you are in a modest surplus (to gain some muscle). Be aware that as you build muscle in a surplus, you will also inevitably gain some fat along with it. Do a cut cycle to get rid of some fat if you need to, then go back to a bulk again.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Lifting DOES NOT make you gain fat. Lifting won't "lean you out" unless you're in a calorie deficit either by lifting/exercise and/or decreasing calorie intake.

You make no mention of your diet. What's you're daily calories and macros?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If you used to do absurd amounts of cardio, and now you're doing moderate amounts of cardio, and your calorie intake has not changed, then I'm not surprised that you're gaining fat
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you used to do absurd amounts of cardio, and now you're doing moderate amounts of cardio, and your calorie intake has not changed, then I'm not surprised that you're gaining fat

That would be my guess. Relative to cardio (as done by someone fit), lifting burns crap for calories. You may well be eating too much.