How Do U Get Your Cals for ThanksGiving Dinner?

Just wondering if people usually just guestimate how many cals and carbs their consuming when they indulge in Thx Giving turkey dinner???? Do you sit and add up every thing on MFP for mustard pickles, coleslaw, homemade gravy, dessert??? That would take ALOT of time wouldn't it? Im diabetic but im still gonna indulge in this meal - gonna live a little!!!!! Im gonna carb count to the best of my knowledge on the foods im gonna eat. What are u gonna do?

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I'm gonna eat and not feel guilty about it.

probably not so much dessert though

But i'll probably cook and I don't do those sweet taters with marshmallows or the honey glaze on ham. Don't like it. I'll probably have a piece of pumpkin pie though. Since I will have made it.
  • I'll just eat a regular portion. My MIL isn't a very good cook so I don't need to worry about over indulgence. :-)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    I will probably brush up on my grammar.
  • 87monkey
    87monkey Posts: 83 Member
    ooo I am definitely going to indulge :), aha... I figured I will eat a couple hundred calories a day less plus work out a bit more the whole week leading up to Thanksgiving, that way I can just enjoy the holiday without thinking about calories. Same goes for Christmas ;)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Just wondering if people usually just guestimate how many cals and carbs their consuming when they indulge in Thx Giving turkey dinner???? Do you sit and add up every thing on MFP for mustard pickles, coleslaw, homemade gravy, dessert??? That would take ALOT of time wouldn't it? Im diabetic but im still gonna indulge in this meal - gonna live a little!!!!! Im gonna carb count to the best of my knowledge on the foods im gonna eat. What are u gonna do?

Eat 3 or 4 pies and a few lbs of mashed, turkey and mac n cheese
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    The only things I like about a traditional Thanksgiving dinner are the stuffing and the pumpkin pie, so it's not to hard to keep on track :tongue:
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    I am going to cook a beautiful turkey, with stuffing and homemade gravey, mashed potatoes green beans and squash, probably throw in some rolls. Desert will be a heavenly chocolate cake WITH frosting (and birthday candles for me!!), and I'm going to sit and eat as much as I want and not worry about calories. I won't even log my meal.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Actually, I do log everything. Usually the night before. I buy the groceries and cook it, so there aren't any surprises. It's a special occassion, so I will indulge, but I still want to know the calories and macros so that I can get my deficit back down over a weekly average. It doesn't take long to log if you know what the menu will be.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Coleslaw for Thanksgiving? Interesting...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    it's Thanksgiving. i'm gonna eat, i'm gonna enjoy time with my family, and i'm gonna watch football. i'm not counting one damn thing.

it's one day. no one got fat because they over ate on one day.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I don't typically over eat a crazy amount- a couple hundred sure- but not by the thousands.

I don't care for most typcal thanksgiving food- and I've never had to run between family homes for it either (people who go to like 5 thanksgiving/christmas dinners? really no way)... so I eat normally and just roll with it.

I might try to track for ****s and giggles- but I'm not going to panic about it. I typically eat more dessert than anything else!!!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Ill probably eat/drink approximately 6,000 calories. It will be glorious.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    ew- forgot about wine.

nope. between dessert and wine- ti'll be thousands.

I can eat 3000 in a day and not feel really overwhelmed by it- so yeah- it'll probably be thousands. I lied.

LMAO. no shame- i have no.shame.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    I don't log it. I'll eat like 6,000 calories. It will be awesome. And then the next day I'll go right back to my normal routine of healthier food and exercise. That's how I lost, that's how I maintain.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member

Yes I do log everything. Most of what I eat on Thanksgiving though, I'll have eaten on the previous Thanksgiving. In other words, I I just look up what I ate last year and copy it to this year, adjust the portion sizes as needed and be done with it. It's not that hard, and it's fun to see how many calories you've blown in one day. :-D
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    I'm not going to bother counting. I know I'll be over by a lot, so it's just a day to throw away and move on from. Not taking leftovers home though!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    It is one day of many. This isn't about the minutia of one day here and there...special occasions...holidays and birthdays. This is about how you're livin' 80 - 90% of the time...not 10% of the time. Get your *kitten* out of the minutia and get on with life. Stop sweating the small stuff.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    just eat
    and drink.
  • sepulchura
    sepulchura Posts: 95 Member
    Personally I plan on turning on MFP, staring it right in the eye, and saying "you might want to turn around and not watch this."

Massive cheat day.

To answer your question, if you are a guest at a dinner someone else made, you may have to guess and use generic examples of items you log. Bringing a food scale to the table would be a buzz kill and probably considered rude, unless you are eating with people who really understand what you are doing and support you.

If it were me trying to guess, I'd use the "worse examples" of items if given a choice and sort of lean toward worst case scenario, in order to make sure I'm not under-estimating. I do that in general when I guess, and sadly I sometimes find out later the worst-case was the more accurate guess.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    We'll probably be home so it should still be healthy... I might pick some Skinnytaste recipes to try. I'll log. Might go over a bit, or not, we'll see, I don't really want to eat 3500 calories or something just because it's Thanksgiving.

Christmas will be another matter with those pesky Christmas cookies.