Eat to hunger or to calories?

Options
I've been trying to drink more water. I can't stand plain water so I've added flavor packets to get myself to drink it, 3 packets (made for 16.9 oz) into a full gallon jug. I'm starting my diet back up today and found that if I drink the water when I'm hungry that I don't want to eat. I'm currently still under 500 calories after I eat "dinner" because I've been satisfied on a bite or two every few hours. Should I make myself eat some more protein to boost my calories or should I just wait until the water stops tricking my appetite?

Replies

• Deborah100660
    Deborah100660 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you are consuming a gallon of water daily. Usually 2 quarts or liters is plenty. I do consume 2-3 quarts after I have worked out and sweated. If you keep your calorie count so low, then your metabolism will slow down and you will lose more slowly. Try drinking less water and eating small meals every couple of hours. This should help with your calorie intake. You could also focus on concentrated calories such as nuts and dried fruits, avocados have vitamin E, high calories, and healthy fats. I would consume low fat dairy products and not non-fat. Good luck.

Deborah
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You're not not-hungry, you're hacking your internal mechanisms.

Assuming you have a diet plan that will get you where you want to go, just eat the damn food.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you really thought it was OK to eat 500 calories for the day, I don't think you would have posted this. Go eat.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to drink more water. I can't stand plain water so I've added flavor packets to get myself to drink it, 3 packets (made for 16.9 oz) into a full gallon jug. I'm starting my diet back up today and found that if I drink the water when I'm hungry that I don't want to eat. I'm currently still under 500 calories after I eat "dinner" because I've been satisfied on a bite or two every few hours. Should I make myself eat some more protein to boost my calories or should I just wait until the water stops tricking my appetite?

1200 calories were not picked by MFP to annoy dieters who want to lose weight, it was picked by medical professionals, because at that level they could be relatively sure that you would get all you nutrients from the diet (macro and micro). The body only stores fat. Also if you are drinking that much water make sure you are actually taking in over 500mg of sodium per day.

Edited the rest out, because considering that you list anorexics as an inspiration on your profile I don't feel comfortable taking part in this. Good luck
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    considering that you list anorexics as an inspiration on your profile I don't feel comfortable taking part in this. Good luck

This
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    stop drinking water and eat more food..

if you can't do that, seek immediate help....
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    500 calories for a single day won't kill anyone (I'm actually ending the day around 900). Didn't even make it through the whole gallon anyway. It was just the only container I had larger than a regular cup. I'm also certain I'm over 500 mg of sodium (twice that just in my soup). I just didn't find myself hungry at nearly 7 at night and was wondering if I should make myself sick trying to reach my calorie goal or just ignore it and eat when I was hungry.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You're right, one 500 calorie day won't kill anyone. But if you find you're having this problem more often than once in a blue moon, you should talk to a dietitian about your body's caloric and nutritional needs and how to eat for health.
    The trouble with eating according to hunger is that hunger feelings (or lack thereof) can be deceiving and do not necessarily indicate that you've met your body's nutritional requirements. Food is not only important for energy but also for the macro and micro nutrients we need to survive and function.
    And as someone else mentioned, it really isn't necessary to drink a gallon of water every day. I aim to drink two liters. I buy large Smart Water bottles and refill them, and I also found a reusable liter bottle for $2. So if measuring is the issue, there are plenty of options out there.
    So, if this 900 calorie day is a one-time thing, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a recurring issue, definitely talk to a professional.
  • FreyasRebirth
    Options
    It got me. I'm starving today. 3:45 PM, 800 calories in, wanting to eat everything I look at but trying to save *some* calories for a before-work snack (I work 5-9) and a late dinner. I was hoping to stay at the setting for losing 1 lb a week but I'm changing it to half a pound a week. I'm not really sure if I should be adding "exercise" for nursing either. My son only nurses for 15 minutes the whole day and he left to visit grandma today anyway (partially because I'm trying to wean him).
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It got me. I'm starving today. 3:45 PM, 800 calories in, wanting to eat everything I look at but trying to save *some* calories for a before-work snack (I work 5-9) and a late dinner. I was hoping to stay at the setting for losing 1 lb a week but I'm changing it to half a pound a week. I'm not really sure if I should be adding "exercise" for nursing either. My son only nurses for 15 minutes the whole day and he left to visit grandma today anyway (partially because I'm trying to wean him).

Half a pound a week is appropriate since you only have 14 pounds to lose.
  • FreyasRebirth
    Options

Half a pound a week is appropriate since you only have 14 pounds to lose.

Sucks knowing I gained it faster than that, only took 8 or 9 weeks.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Whether you are hungry or not is not a good indication of whether you are eating enough or getting enough nutrition.

This is controlled by certain hormones in your body, and under-eating or over-eating knocks these hormones out of whack. So you can not feel hungry and yet not be eating enough.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    The fact that you list anorexics as one of your inspirations because they are "proof that the mind is more powerful than the body" is is "proof" that you need help outside of an online forum.

I would encourage you to delete that because not only is it a dangerous mindset, but disrespectful to those suffering with the disease. It is sad. Not something you idolize. You can go now.