Options

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    joanl9 wrote: »
    Think of how many fast food places that didn't exist back then that exist now.

Were you alive in the '70s? There were plenty of fast food options.

Just off the top of my head:
    Jack in the Box
    McDonalds
    Carl's Jr.
    Wendy's
    Arby's
    Alfie's Fish & Chips
    Alberto's/Roberto's
    Long John Silver
    Taco Bell
    Naugles
    Burger King
    Kentucky Fried Chicken
    Der Weinerschnitzel
    Round Table Pizza
    Pizza Hut
    Baskin Robbins Ice Cream
    Dairy Queen
    etc. etc.

Again, it depends on where you lived. I only recognize three of those names from back then. (And I was alive since the '60s).

Some of them are regional. Der Wienerschnitzel, Round Table Pizza, and Carl's Jr. are in the western part of the country. You may know Hardee's, and since a merger in 1997, Carl's Jr. and Hardee's are essentially the same. I've lived on both coasts and I've never heard of Alfie's, Naugle's, or Alberto's; they may be Southern California only. On the East Coast we had Arthur Treacher's, Blimpie's, Roy Rogers, and a few others I've never encountered in California.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    joanl9 wrote: »
    Think of how many fast food places that didn't exist back then that exist now.

Were you alive in the '70s? There were plenty of fast food options.

Just off the top of my head:
    Jack in the Box
    McDonalds
    Carl's Jr.
    Wendy's
    Arby's
    Alfie's Fish & Chips
    Alberto's/Roberto's
    Long John Silver
    Taco Bell
    Naugles
    Burger King
    Kentucky Fried Chicken
    Der Weinerschnitzel
    Round Table Pizza
    Pizza Hut
    Baskin Robbins Ice Cream
    Dairy Queen
    etc. etc.

Again, it depends on where you lived. I only recognize three of those names from back then. (And I was alive since the '60s).

Some of them are regional. Der Wienerschnitzel, Round Table Pizza, and Carl's Jr. are in the western part of the country. You may know Hardee's, and since a merger in 1997, Carl's Jr. and Hardee's are essentially the same. I've lived on both coasts and I've never heard of Alfie's, Naugle's, or Alberto's; they may be Southern California only. On the East Coast we had Arthur Treacher's, Blimpie's, Roy Rogers, and a few others I've never encountered in California.

I remember eating at Roy Rogers in the 80's.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    katphi1618 wrote: »
    No helicopter parents, no TV/games if we wanted to see if friends could play we walked to their house first. My girlfriend and I use to walk 4 miles one way to hang out with friends and 8 miles the other to watch movies or go to the mall. If we wanted a soda we had to walk to the local gas station a mile up the road.

My mother used to kick us out of the house if it was a nice day.
  • 70sthin
    70sthin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    These posts have been great reading. This is a question I have thought about myself and is the reason I came up with my screen name when I first opened MFP account! I have seen pictures of my parents from the 1970s and couldn't believe how fit they were at the time. In fact, it wasn't until the 1990s that they started to beef up -- during my preteen-hood, that I recall junk food in the house and a transition from hot weekend breakfasts of eggs and bacon on the weekends to bowl after bowl of sugary boxed cerials. At the age of 13 I started dieting, something I'm sure my mother didn't need to do at 13! That was the beganing of my struggle determining what food is best for my body. I never was overweight, but I felt unhealthy in a lot of ways for a long time. I think our nation as a whole has become a whole lot more nutritionally versed because of the changes in our diets and I wonder if we will be healthy again.
  • Aydens1nana
    Aydens1nana Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I remember going to McDonalds about once a month. To the best of my recollection we could order hamburgers, cheeseburgers, fries, soda, and milkshake. My father would always have one hamburger and he would split the fries with mom. Now we have a triple bacon cheeseburger with super sized fries and soda.
  • layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was born in 1973. I used to always play out after school, climbing trees etc. as there weren't any gaming console's or tablets/smart phones. We used to walk everywhere too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Almost all of my friends (kids) in the 70s and 80s ate cereal for breakfast, often sugary cereal. I did not, because I have always hated cold cereal (occasionally I'd be forced to choke it down after spending the night since it was polite to eat what was provided, of course). My sister also ate it, she particularly loved Apple Jacks. None of us thought sugary cereal was particularly healthy, kids ate it because they thought it tasted good and I assume parents thought it was easy (I started getting my own breakfast from an early age due to the anti cereal thing -- I did like plain oats with fruit, although I mostly liked eggs).

For a special treat we got to eat frozen waffles, and on the weekend sometimes we'd have a family breakfast with pancakes and bacon.

None of my family or friends were fat then, and fat kids were pretty rare.

My sister who loved Apple Jacks has basically no sweet tooth at all now, and has never been close to overweight.

So no, I don't think eating cereal made people fat.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Does this answer your question?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakfast_cereal
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Association

Cereals, large portions etc were heavily marketed back then & throughout the 90s as being "healthy" or "part of a healthy breakfast". If you wanted to be healthy, you ate cereal.

Which, ironically, made you fatter because the portion sizes for 1 serving was not enough to keep anyone full and it was basically dessert.

The Sugar Association is a nasty beast if you want to do some digging into what they've done.

So I guess your point is it takes 40 years for sugar to make you fat???

I ate tons of Frosted Flakes, Apple Jacks, and frozen Cinnamon French Toast in the 70s and I was a little string bean. I didn't eat any sugary cereal in my 30s when I gained weight. :neutral:
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Hah. I was skinny in the 70's because the only time I ate was when my parents forced me inside for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Otherwise I was running around with a mob of my friends looking for trouble. Snacking was typically just begging for a quarter from my mother so I could buy a frozen Kool-Aid cup from a neighbor during the summer.