why were people so skinny in the 70s?

Options

Replies

• markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I was skinny in the 70's because I spent best part of a year in the queue to watch Star Wars ....
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    1. No Internet.
    2. No video games.
    3. Home cooked meals (from scratch)
    4. Kids played outside after school.
    5. Parents didn't drive kids everywhere, we rode our bikes or walked.

All of this. And cocaine. Lots of coke, which was harmless and non-addictive in the 70's.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    people were poor in the 70's we had an oil crisis and a huge rate of inflation
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Cocaine.

155q5gz.gif
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    No sugar? Wtf? I couldn't have been the only kid mainlining grape kool-aid.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    If we all danced like they did in Saturday Night Fever we'd all be some fancy-step-sexy-tight-bell-bottom-wearing people! :glasses:

I want this in my life.

70s-Disco-Outfits.jpg

Darn, we looked GOOOD !!
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Disco dancing and roller skating!!! And people weren't planted indoors glued to their electronic devices...
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    1. No Internet.
    2. No video games.
    3. Home cooked meals (from scratch)
    4. Kids played outside after school.
    5. Parents didn't drive kids everywhere, we rode our bikes or walked.

^^This

With little to watch on tv, no computers, no video games, people were a lot more active - kids and adults.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    people were thin because they ate a lot of good food, even baked goodies too, no redesigned franken foods. They were active, tons of things I recall my folks doing, biking, swimming, tennis, hiking, canoeing, yoga, going to discos, as kids we did most of all those things and we also ran all over, walked all over, played chase or tag, my folks didn't drive anyone anyplace unless it was lightening out or a blizzard. We rode bikes a lot and my friends lived over 5 miles away yet we went back and forth every day in the country, it was great and I could eat anything I wanted without thinking about it at all. I think adults didn't have the work stress as they do today, they worked normal hours, had longer work lunches, and were all always home for dinner together around the table as a family.

Mmmm. Home baking. I remember Begging my mom for store bought cookies. Lol

Maybe it's cuz we sweat our butts off in all the polyester.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of these posts. As a child, we were always outside. Even inside we were playing not sitting in front of something. I think though what is missing in the responses is pride. People took pride in their appearance. If we went out, we were dressed nicely. If my parents were going to a party even at someone's house, they were dressed up. People took pride in their appearance. People don't seem to care anymore.

The worst is people who won't get out of their pajamas to go to the grocery store.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    people were poor in the 70's we had an oil crisis and a huge rate of inflation

Ya...weren't mortgage rates 17 percent
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I was skinny in the 70's because I spent best part of a year in the queue to watch Star Wars ....

lol.. seems like I did too. :smile:
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    People in the 70s were skinny because they spent all their time FAPing to that Farah Fawcett poster instead of eating.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Disco dancing and roller skating!!! And people weren't planted indoors glued to their electronic devices...

ROLLER DISCO was all the rage. and tight short shorts was the fashion!
    CL_RollerDisco1.jpg
    4513637120_1ea0a05493.jpg

check out young Hugh Hefner !!
    4512995035_efcd9bd24a_o.jpg
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Perhaps cos their parents were brought up on rations, food stamps etc because of the war? I don't know if they had this in US - certainly in UK.

Wow. Hugh Hefner was old even in the 70s.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    speed, mescaline, and coke?
  • LYNN8SUPERSTARZS
    LYNN8SUPERSTARZS Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    They were mor active and not on the internet all day:noway:
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Disco Duh!! :drinker:

Studio 54, baby! Would have kept me slim, too!
  • mazteek
    mazteek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    people packed their own lunches to take to work....now there's fast food on every corner,so it's easier to go out and eat, then to eat a cold boring bring from home lunch.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Fast food was a rare treat, not an everyday occurrence.

Soft drinks (Pop/soda) was also a rare treat! Your parents made you eat your (ick) vegetables... and I don't mean french fries