Wheelchair to running coach. In 28 months. 100lbs lost.

Options

Replies

• BevBasil
    BevBasil Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am at a loss for words.......incredible!!!
  • saugonda1
    saugonda1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You Look Great
  • karolinacorrea
    karolinacorrea Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story!!!
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You are amazing & congrats on your new job!
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing journey and gift to yourself, your family and your friends that you are now healthy! WTG!
    I write this post on the eve of my first official day as a group exercise instructor at the YMCA. My new program starts tomorrow, a class for beginner runners called "Moving with Joy."

Hi, my name is Joy and I'm a 33 year old, 5'8" mom of three girls, ages 3, 5, and 7. Just over two years ago I weighed 270 pounds and was in a wheelchair, temporarily paralyzed from the waist down due to a herniated disc caused by a combination of genetics, and being significantly overweight.

IMG_5168.jpg

It took me one year of daily exercise (walking, then running) and using MFP religiously, to lose 100+ pounds.

photo-118.jpg

In the past 28 months not only have I lost 100+lbs, but I've added years to my life and discovered a true passion for running. Since I began running 21 months ago, I've run over 2300 miles. I've run 2 half marathon races and I'm currently approaching my first full marathon, the Philadelphia marathon in 5.5 weeks. My longest training run so far was 18 miles.

I am not fast. But my endurance is really coming along. My best half marathon race time was 2:19:02. If my teammates and I can finish the Philly full marathon in under 5 hours, I'll be a happy camper.

So now I look something like this:
    photo-117.jpg

And tomorrow at work I'll be wearing this:
    8CF5D6D4-0B13-481C-A38C-A864366B41FD-8577-000008AC15D00BA7_zps7a5cc27b.jpg

My class is for people truly at the beginning of their fitness journey. It's a 9 week program with the goal of being able to run or walk a 5k at the end of the session. I'm going to show them that with true dedication you can make BIG changes in your life.

I've also been volunteer coaching the boys' running club at the local elementary school, and wow, what a rewarding experience!

Thanks for reading. :-)

photo_zpsc46156d4.jpg

Joyzy
  • ShannonKelliG
    ShannonKelliG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing! Just . . . amazing!
  • provence9
    provence9 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is one of the best Success Stories that I have ever read, Truly Inspiring.
  • BeefyBFit
    BeefyBFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You are truly AMAZING Joy! Such an inspiration! Go you!
  • sydneytomunich
    sydneytomunich Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Incredible story!! Well done to you!!
  • DiaryofaMadFatMan
    DiaryofaMadFatMan Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You go, Joy! :flowerforyou:
  • themmbar
    themmbar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Way to go - and thanks for inspiring the rest of us!
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You definitely are amazing. I am hoping you beat your time for the Philly marathon.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have done so much! Your students will appreciate where you've been and how far you've come. Good luick in Philly!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    That's so fantastic! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • nickalow11
    nickalow11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Thank you so much for the inspiration and motivation to keep at it!:flowerforyou:
  • carrotsaregood
    carrotsaregood Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Holy. Cow.

I would hug you and then start applauding if I ever met you. You are amazing and I'm BEYOND impressed and inspired.
    Well said.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration. I love that you're taking your learnings to others who need them, I love the name of your class! I think it's so important to teach how to start, and how to keep going.
  • massage_gal
    massage_gal Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! You are one to jump up and down about!!!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing, you are a star
    I am going to run half marathon in march 2014, Hastings, UK
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    OMG this has brought tears to my eyes.

You're amazing and I think you won MFP.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!