Best things to buy at Trader Joes

Options

Replies

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous of all of you, the only thing I have near me is a Whole Foods and I can't afford to shop there! Trader Joes sounds so nice!

I'm jealous, not near a Whole Foods.
  • ereck44
    Options
    I'm vegan and all their vegan stuff has a little V on it so it's easy to tell.
    Here is a list of all their regular vegan products (I think seasonal stuff is not included): http://www.traderjoes.com/lists/vegan.asp

First and foremost, all of their nuts, seeds, trail mixes, and nut butters are AMAZING and WILDLY cheaper than anywhere else -- literally 1/3 of the normal price! I honestly do not know how they do it. You must buy! If you really want a treat, the new coconut cashews are TO DIE FOR.

And of course, TWO BUCK CHUCK! Amazing wine for $2.49 -- it says Charles Shaw by Trader Joe's on it.

A few other of my faves that are surprisingly DELICIOUS AND CHEAP: dried black mission figs, fresh globe artichokes, any of their famous hummus flavors, any of their salsas, butternut squash soup, Tuscan Italian dressing, organic carrot juice, soyaki, tri-color quinoa, stevia, cinnamon, frozen berries, peaberry coffee, Dr. Praeger’s California Veggie Burgers, meatless meatballs, EV coconut oil, 100% unbleached white whole wheat flour

Things to SKIP: unflavored coconut milk beverage half gallon, jarred green olives, jarred sun-dried tomatoes, jarred bruschetta, dijon... I have just found these disappointing and there are far better brands.

the black mission figs are delicious, also any of their dried fruit or trail mixes: I love their raw almonds and walnuts. Also they have an awesome garden patch juice--so delicious. Try their squash filled pasta--it is yummy. Too many cheese options to mention--love their carmelized onion English cheddar, blue cheese selections, and brie. Everything bagels are awesome. Also agree to skip the unflavored coconut milk--just dreadful!
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Literally everything. Sorry, not helpful, but I've never had anything bad and get something different every time.

For "junk food" I love the gummy penguins (JUICY BELLIES!) and the ginger cat cookies for people (Silly name, but they are just a huge tub of cat shaped gingersnaps).

ETA: The gummy penguins aren't vegan, like most gummies they are made with animal gelatin :(
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    SOY VANILLA ICE CREAM.

I am not even vegan and that stuff is better than the non-vegan stuff. SO GOOD.

ETA: Woops, you said HEALTHY. Nope, just tasty. Like everything else I buy there. They also sell unpasteurized orange juice which is also ah-maaazing.
  • ereck44
    Options
    Also this month they are featuring pumpkin items. I have tried "this pumpkin walked into a bar", kind of like a fig newton, only pumpkin filling. And they have pumpkin ice cream which is very very good.
    they have a little newsletter, called the "Fearless Flyer" in which new items are discussed.
    It is really a fun little place. And you never wait in line, they ring a cow bell and a cashier opens up a spot immediately. I have a hard time buying food at Walmart where it appears that they don't care how long you stand in line.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    And you never wait in line, they ring a cow bell and a cashier opens up a spot immediately. I have a hard time buying food at Walmart where it appears that they don't care how long you stand in line.

One of my favorite things about shopping there.
  • karinajean2388
    karinajean2388 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Savory Thin Mini Rice Crackers- Multiseed w/ Soy Sauce. I could eat them forever.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods 10 minutes away :p

I'm sorta useless about vegan stuff though. Just check ingredients and calories and try it if it sounds nice.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I LOVE their white bean and basil hummus! I only buy it on special occasions because I WILL eat the whole tub in a day or two.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I can't believe 2 pages and no one said chocolate covered espresso beans.

seriously- that's the only reason to go in there.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I shop at Trader Joe's at least twice a week. I start out with coffee - peaberry and New Mexican Pinon.

I also get:
    Walnuts
    Whole Wheat Couscous
    Harvest Blend Grain mix
    10 Minute Barley
    10 Minute Farro
    Organic Basmati Rice
    Sweet Corn Tamales
    Organic Butter
    Goat Yogurt
    Kefir
    Semisweet chocolate chips
    Bran Flakes
    Multigrain Os
    High Fiber Cereal
    Nature's Path Heritage Flakes
    Frozen Organic Spinach
    Frozen Fire Roasted Corn
    Frozen Peas
    Fire Roasted Tomatoes, no salt added
    Roasted Vegetable Multigrain Lasagna
    Organic Black Beans
    Organic Pinto Beans
    Wild Canned Salmon
    Wild Frozen Salmon
    Frozen Tilapia
    Organic Chicken thighs
    Organic Whole Chicken
    Sun-Dried Tomato-Basil Chicken Sausage
    Plain Cranberry juice
    Cinnamon-Raisin Swirl Bread

...and anything else that might catch my fancy, including chocolate covered expresso beans or a Clif Builders Bar after I've hit the gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I shop at Trader Joe's at least twice a week. I start out with coffee - peaberry and New Mexican Pinon.

...and anything else that might catch my fancy, including chocolate covered espresso beans or a Clif Builders Bar after I've hit the gym.

FTFY
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Butter!!!! (It's not actually butter)
    I love their Pumpkin Ravioli which is not too bad in the cals- I like to add it to cooked spaghetti squash.
    Fat-free pizza sauce - very yummy tomato sauce for pizza, pasta, and more
    Coffee
    Low calorie lemonade <- one of the best things they sell!
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Also this month they are featuring pumpkin items. I have tried "this pumpkin walked into a bar", kind of like a fig newton, only pumpkin filling. And they have pumpkin ice cream which is very very good.

omg yes they have pumpkin everything out right now!!! i've been wanting to go back and get the pumpkin "pop tart" things but it's been raining non stop! gah!

I like their Sweet Potato Gnocchi... mmmmm yum. Not vegan though. They have a nice little indian food selection, some of which is vegan (the channa masala i think in the frozen section and an eggplent dish in the dry section). Their hummus is very good - I particularly like the olive!

I love their soy & cocounut ice creams! and much better priced than the usual brands in the grocery store. Frozen edamame is a good deal here also. And I always get my tofu here - organic tofu for $2? i can't find that anywhere else!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Savory Thin Mini Rice Crackers- Multiseed w/ Soy Sauce. I could eat them forever.

absolutely. just got these last time i went and OH my god they are good and could easily get me in trouble. I package my lil 15 crackers and thats all I get.
  • ereck44
    Options

absolutely. just got these last time i went and OH my god they are good and could easily get me in trouble. I package my lil 15 crackers and thats all I get.

yeah, I think that one serving size is 37 crackers! I love the plain savories.
  • amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The roasted red pepper and tomato soup is a staple at my house. Also love the marinara, frozen berries, almond butter, and and ...
  • amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    And not veg, but the smoked prosciutto is uh-may-zing.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Jelly. No not actual jelly....jelly that you all have a trader joes near by. :grumble:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I love their water crackers and cracker cuts. Mmm. And their nuts are decently priced.