A Calorie is NOT a calorie

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If all calories are the same as you say, then how can diabetes type 2 be reversed with diet? i was not posting this as a study. I read it in an obesity journal in my Dr's office. The research was done at Harvard and University of Penn. I just found it interesting. The fact that you so vehemently disagree , and are saying that top researchers are wrong, and you (on MFP) know better...ummm ok.:noway: l

I...I just. I can't.
  • supermuslimgirl
    supermuslimgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    hahaha how many calories do you gusy arguments burn. or unicorns or whatever:laugh:
  • Achrya
    Options
    hahaha how many calories do you gusy arguments burn.

I don't know, I don't track calories burned.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If all calories are the same as you say, then how can diabetes type 2 be reversed with diet? i was not posting this as a study. I read it in an obesity journal in my Dr's office. The research was done at Harvard and University of Penn. I just found it interesting. The fact that you so vehemently disagree , and are saying that top researchers are wrong, and you (on MFP) know better...ummm ok.:noway: l

What did this research actually show? Your interpretation of something you flicked through at the doctors office appears to be a little flawed. Maybe if you could actually reference this cutting edge research they did.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    It's not just reduced with diet, but significant weight loss. Being significantly overweight/obese is directly related to type 2 diabetes for those that acquire it.
    Question to you: is sugar the cause of diabetes?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Darcie45
    Darcie45 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had this conversation with my doctor about a month ago. Not necessarily the calorie is not a calorie part but fructose found in fruits and veggies is a "good" sugar or calorie because when eaten in it's natural state we get fiber with the sugar that makes our bodies break it down in a different way. refined sugar or added sugar comes with no fiber so our body doesn't have to do anything but just use it. So a calorie from a natural source (i.e. fruits and veggies) is not the same a s a calorie from something loaded with refined sugar.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    In for science!
  • supermuslimgirl
    Options
    I had this conversation with my doctor about a month ago. Not necessarily the calorie is not a calorie part but fructose found in fruits and veggies is a "good" sugar or calorie because when eaten in it's natural state we get fiber with the sugar that makes our bodies break it down in a different way. refined sugar or added sugar comes with no fiber so our body doesn't have to do anything but just use it. So a calorie from a natural source (i.e. fruits and veggies) is not the same a s a calorie from something loaded with refined sugar.

well done
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Please define what a calorie is, then list the different 'types' and and their structure.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    In for science!

Same and I need something to read while I drink this chocolate milk.........
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    In for science!

Nice footwear.
  • reasons2lie
    Options
    your right I am sleeping better and also my stress level is much lower than when I was in school. Also I was breaking out like crazy. Now I don't even have a single pimple. I guess rather than the sugar in energy drink alone but because of all the stimulant which didn't help out my already stressed out state. So from what you said, is my problem reversed or should I see a doctor about it? Yes the stretch mark are in the abdomen and are purple.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    In for science!

Nice footwear.

Got some old school converse but nothing beats Komodosport's for lifting days....... Oh who am I kidding I wear them all time! :drinker:
  • littleknownblogger
    littleknownblogger Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The "calorie content" of food is determined by oxidation--that is, they set the food on fire in an underwater container and see how much it heats the water (actually, they usually just make estimates today). However, your body does not process foods by oxidation; it processes them through mechanical/chemical/enzymatic breakdown.

So, it is certainly true that "a calorie is a calorie". However, it is also true that calories have absolutely no relationship to the amount of energy your body will absorb from the food.

It is further true that the human body is a highly complex, adapting machine. Insulin forces energy into fat cells, and prevents lipolysis; insulin response occurs when sugar (that is, any non-fiber carbohydrate) is digested. Glucagon pulls energy out of fat cells, and is stimulated by the presence of protein. If you doubt this, ask any diabetic.

This is not to say that food amounts are irrelevant, nor that insulin threshholds are identical across the population. Only that, over time, the less carbohydrate you consume, the less energy will generally be retained in your fat.

As for energy expenditure, if the energy debt is paid for with fat (aerobic exercise), it will train the body to retain some fat for future use. If the energy expenditure is paid by glycogen (anaerobic exercise), it will train the body to store energy as glycogen in the muscles. Evidence is easy to obtain at any track-and-field event: compare the soft, small-muscled body of the average marathon runner to the lean muscular body of the average sprinter. The marathoners almost universally weigh less, because they spend so much more energy than the sprinters. But the sprinters have much less bodyfat, because they train their bodies to store energy in their muscles.
  • JBnyc99
    JBnyc99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat a handful or two of Wonka's Bottle Caps in a few minutes, followed later by a few Everlasting Gobstoppers. Should I update my will first? Who wants my 12 bags of Tootsie Pops once I'm gone?
    *waves and jumps up and down*
    I'll take them. I have some calories left today and no sugar phobias. :laugh:

You got it! I have plenty for everyone,...and we might as well enjoy them before our livers give out. I got first dibs on blueberry!

Oh Geez! I don't know how to tell you this . . . the blue one isn't blueberry!

*whispers*: that's grape . . .

Haha. I guess you haven't had one in awhile then. Yes, the purple is indeed grape, one of the 5 original flavors. But earlier this year,...along with Pomegranate and Banana, they also introduced Blueberry. It's now my favorite. :)

8247550639_8a8371b63c_z.jpg
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    gladly its friday and a captian morgan coke is a captain morgan coke :D
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Blueberry, banana AND pomegranate? :love: Sweet. This IS going to be a happy Halloween. *runs off to Superstore*
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    binge.gif?w=645
    Hahahaha !! Im so going home to watch this now :D
  • Achrya
    Options
    Reader's Digest

3 Reasons Why All Calories Are Not the Same
    Robert Lustig, MD, explains why all calories are not created equal.

Cutting-edge experts say the “calories in, calories out” philosophy is oversimplified and inadequate.
    Quality of calories determines the quantity your body burns or stores, says Robert Lustig, MD, author of the recently published book Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Foods, Obesity, and Disease. He shares these fascinating examples of how calorie quality affects your weight and health.

Fiber
    Fiber delays the absorption of calories. For example, when you eat a 160-calorie portion of almonds, you absorb only 130 because some calories are delivered to your intestine, where your gut bacteria burn them for their own energy source.

Protein
    You use twice as much energy to metabolize protein as carbohydrate—due to the thermic effect of food. Protein also reduces hunger hormones more than carbs do.

Carbs
    Starches (like potatoes) contain mainly glucose, which every cell in your body uses for energy. Fructose—found in soda and candy and added to most processed foods—is metabolized in your liver as fat, which drives chronic diseases such as diabetes.

Read more: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/reasons-why-all-calories-are-not-the-same/#ixzz2hOKw5Y00

When people quote lustig puppies cry.
  • supermuslimgirl
    Options
    why you makin thoes poor puppie cry :cry:
This discussion has been closed.