What are your macros set at? I need help!

Options
So until yesterday, I didn't pay much attention to my macros as long as I was in a calorie deficit at the end of the day. In fact, I thought the more protein, the better & was always over my 35% protein target! I've been reading on the forums & web and it seems to say more fat is better? Nah, I'm confused! I thought Protein was a god to weight loss? Please make me understand...

I've changed my macros to 40% carbs, 35% protein & 25% fat! Is this right? My main aim is weight loss but all the reading seem to get me confused! I'm seeing people eating at 60% fat! That's scaring me in case I'm doing something wrong. Please help!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So until yesterday, I didn't pay much attention to my macros as long as I was in a calorie deficit at the end of the day. In fact, I thought the more protein, the better & was always over my 35% protein target! I've been reading on the forums & web and it seems to say more fat is better? Nah, I'm confused! I thought Protein was a god to weight loss? Please make me understand...

I've changed my macros to 40% carbs, 35% protein & 25% fat! Is this right? My main aim is weight loss but all the reading seem to get me confused! I'm seeing people eating at 60% fat! That's scaring me in case I'm doing something wrong. Please help!!

if you're eating a balanced diet without too large a deficit, doing some regular exercise and losing weight, then you're doing it right... who cares what other people do!?
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. This is working well for me with steady fat loss. I think you need to just find what works for you, like I have tried a high fat, high protein diet but it made me feel like crap.

From what I have read, if you aim for at least 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM, at least 20% of calories being fats and the rest carbs, then you can't go too far wrong. Notice I said 'at least', so if you are eating more protein or fat and it is working for you then you can't argue with results.
  • Gaelicgirl1983
    Options
    If you are seeing people with 60% fat intake, they are most likely doing a low carb high fat diet. That's what I'm doing currently as well. Ultimately, you need to find the diet plan that works for you. There is a lot of evidence that carbs aside from veggies spike your blood sugar and lead to weight gain. If you are interested in learning more about the LCHF diet, take a look at reddit.com/keto

It's not for everybody, and it takes a big commitment to eliminate all grains from your diet, but it works well for a lot of people.