I can't run. I want to but I'm struggling.

Options
I'm just about getting the courage to run on the treadmill. I am kind of scared of running in front of people but feel more comfortable doing it on a treadmill than out in the street. I'm worried people will think I'm too fat and can't keep up. Reality is - I can't.

I weigh 230lbs and can walk at a brisk pace for miles and on a gradient. People often comment that I walk too fast but that's normal for me. It gets my heart rate up and I can burn up a sweat but I feel I can get more benefit from running. After a warm up, I can jog or run for about 30 seconds and then I feel like I'm ready to throw up. My chest burns, my boobs hurt, my legs hurt and I feel dizzy. Is this normal for someone who doesn't normally run? I thought I'd get some benefit if I can run for 30 seconds and then walk for 5 to get over the horrible feelings I get, but how can I learn to run properly?

If I can get my heart rate up and sweat from a brisk walk, will running be any better or does it not matter?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Two words........slow down.

When I first started running I was around your weight (235 or so) and could barely go around the block without feeling like death would be a relief. I used a "run" (more like a shuffle) 1 min, walk 9 which then moved up to run2 walk 8 etc etc until I could "run" 10 minutes without stopping. Since then I have run 5ks, 10ks, half-marathons and sprint triathlons & duathlons.......it takes patience (don't rush the progress) and perseverance.

If you can walk briskly you should be able to make the transition using a method like I've described but keep the pace slow, focus on building endurance first.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Run slow. A lot slower than you think. You should be able to hold a conversation. Even if you're running starts off slower than your walking don't worry the speed will come in time
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    C25K
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you google the Galloway method. It is interval running and you should have great success with it.
  • JustinJoanknecht
    JustinJoanknecht Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Agree with above comments. I'm also heavy (same weight as you) and really really struggle with running but the key is slow slow slow and take baby steps with increasing speed and distance.

I've nearly cracked 3 miles in 30mins now but it's taken me a long slow time to get there - just don't give up. Accept sometimes you'll have a bad day and don't let it get you down.

Personally I find music a big help, just make sure it's not too fast! :)

good luck, you'll do it...and will be running a 5k I have no doubt, promise
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest C25k. I'm only into week 3 of it and I love running now. I want to run every night and I've ~never~ liked running. C25k is fun for me because I can usually accomplish the next week's goal. It's not easy for me but I know I can do it because I did it the week before. Seeing progress makes it fun and it starts small.
  • missbrendalynn
    missbrendalynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used to have problem too! I always wondered why I got so breathless so quickly and found out I was really sprinting when a friend asked to go running together.

Gradually build up the pace, running is definitely not something you can jump into and learn the correct breathing techniques.

Good luck! You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    As far as personal experience, the lighter I get, the easier it becomes for me to run. I still prefer to walk, jog, walk, jog, walk jog. It takes time, but each time it gets a little easier for me. Also, walking on an incline helps too.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Perhaps just stick with walking fast for now I have done this for over a year now & think it's a great way to exercise, like you I can walk really fast & feel that the next step is a run so I started 1 min slow run then 2mins walk then repeat for 30 mins. I can just about do this without feeling too bad but if you're feeling sick then just back off or you will just dread doing it, take your time & enjoy walking until you are ready to run if thats your goal but if walking is doing it for you then that is fine I love my walks.

Alway listen to your body :)
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You sound like you are trying to run too fast! I agree with everyone else, slow down. You should be able to speak a sentence, like reply to some ones question. If you struggle to get out more than a couple or words (or a grunt) in reply, then that is too fast. For longer runs I often go even slower, at a pace where I can sing along to my music if no-one is around to hear :ohwell:

Even if you don't try one of the couch to 5k training programmes, a good start would be to alternate a minute of running with a couple of minutes walking to start off with. Then a couple minutes running, couple minutes walking. Then gradually build up the running time until you can do longer and longer between the recovery walks.

Also sounds as if you need to get a better bra! Make sure you have one for very high impact, otherwise you will end up with a sore chest. I check by jumping up and down in the fitting room. If there is mimimal jiggle then I know it is good for running in :laugh:

P.S. walking is very good for you and you don't need to run to be fit and healthy, but running is good for burning calories and also it is quite a lot of fun to run outside once you get fit enough
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started jogging at 300lbs using Couch to 5K (C25K). I took it slow but made sure I completed each session. Do to my weight I could only run once or twice a week as it hurt my knees so inbetween I used the elliptical trainer, I swam and I walked. Somewhere during the programme I discovered a love of running! I'm still slow (5k time is around 38mins) but now run 2 or 3 times a week (I still do the others and also weights so train 5-6 days a week). When I started C25K I thought I was going to die after the first 30s (you run for 1 min intervals with waling in between in the first session). I'm now signed up for the Great Manchester 10k run next May.

If you want to run, then run. It does get easier and a large part of it is in your head eg when my heart is punding and I'm gasping I'll make myself get to the end of the song I'm listening to, or the end of the next full minute. When I get there I'll make myself do another minute etc. Its amazing how you can do it even when you think you're done in!.
  • suethehippo
    suethehippo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All the other advice on here is good so I just want to address one area - boob pain! The kind of bra that you can get away with for fast walking on a gradient just may not be adequate when you start to jog. If you can afford to invest in a REALLY good high impact bra. Some of the ladies I have run with in the past actually wore 2 or a bra + swimsuit to combat this problem. If its a passion killer and turns your bosom into an immoveable speed hump its going to be great! Once you are feeling more comfortable the trasition to running will be easier and I think it takes 4 or 5 goes to really crack it and find a nice steady rhythm that you can keep up for a few minutes. After that its just down to increasing the minutes - you can do it and then you will ove it, like all us running nerds! Good luck.
  • MsDandimite
    MsDandimite Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I second (third, fourthd?) Couch to 5 k or any similar programmes. There are good, free apps too. If you're on android, one example is "Simple C25K" which is what my kids are using now.

I was like you, first time I started running (a few years ago) I thought I'd die after 40 seconds (yeah...).
    It even took me a couple of repeats to finish even the first week of c25k, which made me feel like a complete dolt :P. But with the help of a running friend, I made it up to the end, 20 min "running" but then stopped for some reason after a couple of months.

A year ago I started back up and could only do 90 seconds at a time, but I kept at it (mostly, darn research essay), going back on c25k.
    When I'd finished c25k, I started Rundouble's 5 to10k. I had to repeat some weeks on that programme too, but I kept at it for once and last week I managed to run 8 k in 55 minutes and tomorrow I'm going to do my very best to run a whole 10k in a row. I know I can do it, even if it means practically staggering the last 2k. Oh, and there are several women that are much bigger than I am that swoosh by me all the time and that I see doing the long distance races my husband is in.

So just keep at it, we know you can do it! No matter how slow you think you are, it's still faster than walking AND you're doing something to challenge yourself and to reach goals - and those things feel great.

Good luck!
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    A year ago I couldn't run for more than 30 seconds. And every second of it was miserable! Now I can run 5 miles at a time without walking. The key is to slow down. Don't worry about speed, that will come in time. Run so slow that it's right above a walk. Shoes make a big difference too. I use a "barefoot" style shoe that I love, with a midfoot strike. Just keep plugging away and in a year you will be amazed!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to be a "runner" for so long. I think I may just be a runner/walker forever. LOL! But even with that I have done 5 Half Marathons and numerous shorter races! The C25K is a good plan. This year in order to get in a little more running, I just started with walking 9 minutes and running 1 minute. A week or two later, I did walk 8, run 1...then walk 7, run 1. You get the idea. The most I have run non stop is 3.5 miles, but at least I am now confident that I can run 1.5 miles non stop on a regular basis.

For the boob pain, I wear two bras. One good supportive, underwire sports bra and a tight uni-boob one over top of it. Since most of the weight I have lost has come from that area, I might be able to go with one now, but two works fine and why mess with what works.

I did also find that losing weight did help my endurance. Or maybe it was psychological. Either way, with the weight coming off, I have been able to run longer. I tend to start off too fast and burn myself out so listen to all those who say to run slow! I wish my brain would get that message.

Good luck!
  • Animetuc
    Options
    I'm a runner and when I was 100 pounds overweight I began running on the treadmill.

The other runners were actually supportive of me. Runners are actually pretty cool btw. I ran intervals at first. 5mins walk 5 mins

run (20 min session) until I felt I mastered it. Then I would do 10 mins run/walk (20 min session). At first the 5 min runs tired me

out and I was all embarassed, but before you know it you'll be able to go 20 mins and longer. Be encouraged!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    C25K

I second this! I have bad asthma and found it really difficult to run initially, but on Saturday I ran for 20 mins solid and totalled about 4 km (including the warm up/down walks)!

Go slowly at first - if you feel out of breath slow down. Do each week over and over until it feels easy then move on. But overall, remember that no excercise is wasted. If you don't feel ready to start the C25K yet, go for brisker and brisker walks until you feel fitter.

www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice .... one step at a time, you can do it!
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the C25K. I used to be really embarrased about my weight, all the wobbly bits jiggling about. Only managing a few seconds then wheezing like I'd been a chain smoker all of my life. But when you have the app talking you through everything in your ear, just forget about everyone else. You are doing this for you. And as everyone else has said, slow down. Running for 30 seconds is challenging at first. But keep at it, you will get fitter and better at it, then you can move on to the next running stage.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    C25K

:laugh: You beat me to it. OP, here's the group. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

They're very supportive. I just completed C25K. I was probably 225 pounds when I started on August 11th and couldn't do 30 seconds before that. You can see my progress broken down in my profile, but yesterday, I finished it running for 52 straight minutes! So, you CAN do this. Remember to just pace yourself. You're not competing against anyone. Go as slow as you have to in order to complete each workout. Good luck and I hope to see you on the C25K board. :smile: