First 5k

Options
RoyBeck
RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
Not sure if anyone recalls but about a month back I posted that I'd run my first mile. That was after around 2 weeks of gently building it up running 0.4miles then walking 0.2 etc..

Today I ran my first 5k in 37.30. I've only been into my running for about a month and I'm buzzing right now! I started c25k but deviated to my own programme after speaking with an experienced runner on a running forum as I found I needed to run a little but more than week 1 and 2 offered.

Today is the longest I've run in my life EVER and I'm looking forward to the next one!!

Anyone into their running feel free to add (Or even if your not!)

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Great job! What's your next goal?
  • slpaul100
    slpaul100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Congrats! My first 5K was last weekend. My second is tomorrow. Then I'm moving up to an 8K and a 10K. I found that if I scheduled a bunch of races, I felt more motivated. However, it's been pouring down rain here for the past week, so I decided to start INSANITY. I don't know what I was thinking - my entire body hurts!
  • RoyBeck
    Options

Thank you. I'm having the weekend off firstly as I've had, not shin splints, but aches in my shins so ill see how I am Monday. I want to run 10 miles per week until Xmas including one 5k in that. Then start thinking about a 10k in January and I'd like to complete a half marathon in 2014. I think that's quite a realistic target would you agree?

What level are you at?
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Congrats! My first 5K was last weekend. My second is tomorrow. Then I'm moving up to an 8K and a 10K. I found that if I scheduled a bunch of races, I felt more motivated. However, it's been pouring down rain here for the past week, so I decided to start INSANITY. I don't know what I was thinking - my entire body hurts!

Haha! Well done. I've done the fit test so far and that's enough!! Those mummy kicks hurt me!! Would like to get into it properly soon though.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Excellent! It feels sooooo good.

I'm a beginner runner. I set a goal for a half marathon in April. Cheers! :drinker:
  • sydneyplainjane
    sydneyplainjane Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's great!! I can't wait to join the 5K club, too!
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Excellent! It feels sooooo good.

I'm a beginner runner. I set a goal for a half marathon in April. Cheers! :drinker:

Wow! How many miles are you running per week?
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Your goals are very realistic. Good for you!
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Wow, that's great!! I can't wait to join the 5K club, too!

Never thought I would!! You'll get there when your good and ready :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Thank you. I'm having the weekend off firstly as I've had, not shin splints, but aches in my shins so ill see how I am Monday. I want to run 10 miles per week until Xmas including one 5k in that. Then start thinking about a 10k in January and I'd like to complete a half marathon in 2014. I think that's quite a realistic target would you agree?

What level are you at?
    Started running in January. Did my first 5K in March, doing my first HM this Sunday.

Your goal is completely realistic! Just focus on that and you will be fine.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Great job! Careful, running can be addicting... lol

Uh oh....too late!! I've caught the bug lol.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    That is awesome work, well done! I've just downloaded the Zombie, Run! beginner 5K app so am starting with that tomorrow.
  • joesimtre
    joesimtre Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Running has a way of becoming a part of you. Especially when you embrace it. I will be running my first half marathon in a week. 90lbs ago I couldn't run 13 steps. Now 13 miles doesn't intimidate me at all.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    That is awesome work, well done! I've just downloaded the Zombie, Run! beginner 5K app so am starting with that tomorrow.

I've heard that's good. I wish you all the best and a FR is heading your way!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    Nicely done. My first 5K is still my most memorable race. The slowest, but still the most memorable. Now you have a starting point and can improve from there. It becomes quite addictive.
  • gregmiddag
    gregmiddag Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Finishing races is the best feeling in the world!. I started running August of 2012. Finished two half marathons so far and got more lined up. Incredible high to finish a race. Key is to slowly build your base. Do short speed runs and then your longer run at a speed where you can still talk. That helps prevent injury and get your legs used to miles.

Ive read on numerous running websites that for every 5 degrees F over 60 degrees F your pace will slow on average 30 seconds per mile, and for every pound you lose (on average) you gain 2 seconds per mile faster. So losing weight and getting cooler alone help you go faster! Not to mention the training.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I have never run a 5k race before but this morning I ran 4.5 miles in 58 minutes with my dog who has to stop sometimes for business, lol. I am feeling so excited as this is the farthest I have ever ran.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Running has a way of becoming a part of you. Especially when you embrace it. I will be running my first half marathon in a week. 90lbs ago I couldn't run 13 steps. Now 13 miles doesn't intimidate me at all.

That's great to hear! I'm almost 50lb down and back then I couldn't even begin about thinking to run! Good luck with your HM.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. And 4.5 miles with a dog is bloody superb!!!!
  • nheckert
    nheckert Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great job! I've recently started running. I'm not even up to a mile yet, but working on it. Keep up the good work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!