How do you deal with "Hungry Days"

Options
2»

Replies

• doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Honestly if I feel hungry I eat. If I don't I set myself up for a binge later. Don't deny your body food, it will tell you when it's hungry. Learn to recognize these clues and you'll so fine. And extra sandwich won't sabotage you. Good luck and hope you gwt things figured out.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Agree with advice about upping calories 200 to kill cravings.

Sometimes I eat the treats. All the treats the 24-hour garage sells. Sometimes I resist the treats. Falling off the wagon isn't important. All that matters is that you get back on and remember that feeling guilty gives you a 0-calorie burn. :wink:

You're doing great and you're finding your own way through.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I want to eat an entire tub of M&S treats just because they taste nice?

Is this a typo, ( did you mean M&M's ? ) or is it some kind of UK delicacy that I'm unfamiliar with? I Googled it, and did find something like a M&S gift basket, that has edibles in it... so, I"m thinking it could be either way.
  • xyz68x
    xyz68x Posts: 30
    Options
    Go to Panera and get a big *kitten* salad
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    In my experience as the cheating/bingeing poster child in my kind of recent past, binge eating goes away when I eat a balanced diet, don't deprive myself, and eat enough calories to keep myself moving.

You need to properly fuel your body, and unless you are sedentary (sitting on the sofa all day with your eyes bugging our and your mouth hanging open or you are sleeping all day), you probably need more than 1,200 calories.

So, my advice to you would to be eat more and allow that occasional treat. There is nothing wrong with having a brownie or a serving of ice cream, the problem happens when we have two or three brownies or a double serving of ice cream.

Hang in there, and congratulations on your success so far!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It depends on what is causing my hunger. It's usually either an above-average exercise length/intensity, not enough sleep, eating empty calories from non-filling foods, or boredom.

If it's exercise, I realize that body might truly need those calories, so I eat some extra if I need, as long as I don't go above my net maintenance calorie budget.

I've been truly to get close to 8 hours of sleep each night so that I don't have crashes that can only be solved with getting extra energy from food. I usually have 1 or 2 shots of espresso in the morning, but I can't have caffeine later in the day or I won't sleep the next night. Dark chocolate is also a good source of caffeine that doesn't affect my sleep as much as coffee. Otherwise, stick with small amounts of high-energy foods, like a handful of peanuts or a teaspoon of sugar.

Assess what you've been eating the past few days and make sure all your foods have been filling enough, assuming you've been eating enough calories. Are you getting enough protein and fiber? Are most of your grains whole? If your diet is full of processed food with poor nutritional content, you may not be getting what you need from your food.

Boredom is a difficult one, but it helps to realize that you aren't hungry as a first step. Then just keep yourself busy and get out of the house (or at least the kitchen) if possible.