WTH is going on with my thighs?

Options
Kind of detailed.

So I have been losing size in my body overall, especially my lower to mid-thigh area. However, I woke up today and my upper inner thighs seem to be rubbing together when I walk.

I don't necessarily want a "gap" between my legs, but my upper inner thighs seem to have this seal fat in them that doesn't want to go away.

I thought I was making progress. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I am walking with my legs closer together now because of the mass lost in other parts of my legs. Did any other women ever encounter this problem?

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Maybe water retention? Have you increased activity in the past day or so? That's all I can come up with
  • SlimmingMeDown
    SlimmingMeDown Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Maybe water retention? Have you increased activity in the past day or so? That's all I can come up with

I did increase my activity yesterday. I doubled up. I thought that might help though ...
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    How and where the weight comes off is mostly genetics. It's possible that your genetics just don't include a "gap" at any weight. It's also possible that your increase in activity caused your muscles to retain water (which makes them swell a bit) to aid in muscle repair. If that's the case, it is temporary.
  • SlimmingMeDown
    Options
    How and where the weight comes off is mostly genetics. It's possible that your genetics just don't include a "gap" at any weight. It's also possible that your increase in activity caused your muscles to retain water (which makes them swell a bit) to aid in muscle repair. If that's the case, it is temporary.

So this is what the poster above you meant. I had no idea that this happens to muscles. Thank you for the info.

I walked for an hour yesterday in addition to doing a whole body strength training video.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It's really not a problem, so don't worry. This is a really short term, microscopic concern. If you're going to do this exercise/eat right thing, you have to take the time to learn about it so you don't freak out when little things like this happen. Just keep exercising and loosing the weight, and everything will trim down and be fine.

Based on what you said in your post, it sounds like you might have some swelling due to exercise, water retention... something. You're not all of the sudden gaining fat in that area, or muscle (muscle gain is painfully slow for men, much less women), and if it's a place where you have "stubborn fat", it's just a genetic thing.

For example, I store the majority of my fat above my waist and around my stomach. My face on the other hand is pretty much the first place to gain or loose fat. As I lower my bodyfat %, the fat around my stomach will be the last place to go. I can't target it, I can't change it by eating special foods or taking something, I just have to accept the way my bodyfat is distributed.

That's just the way it is. If you want a jumping off point to really look into this, google "body fat percentage" and go from there. You will learn a ton of good stuff that will help you keep a level head about working out and loosing weight.
  • SlimmingMeDown
    Options
    It's really not a problem, so don't worry. This is a really short term, microscopic concern. If you're going to do this exercise/eat right thing, you have to take the time to learn about it so you don't freak out when little things like this happen. Just keep exercising and loosing the weight, and everything will trim down and be fine.

Thank you. I'll just take it in stride and keep going.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't know how big you were when you started out, but I'm pretty sure my upper thighs have always rubbed together, even at my thinnest. It's a common enough thing for women, as I've had extensive conversations with even skinny athletic women about what they use to prevent chafing when wearing a dress in the summer (body glide, which doubles for running, is amazing).
  • michellechawner
    Options
    my thighs still rub together and i weigh about 125.

Not like Chaffing bad, but they do still touch.
  • Yiazach
    Yiazach Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The body stores fat in it's own mysterious ways!
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    my thighs still rub together and i weigh about 125.

Not like Chaffing bad, but they do still touch.

Haha just to be clear, I live in a swamp that hits 100+ regularly with the added pleasure of humidity - the chaffing happens only in the summer time!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    And for what it's worth (becasue SOOO many women talk about "thigh gap" on this site), this kind of detail about thighs rubbing or not, are like shoes. Men don't really notice, if you look good, you look good lol

And as for me, god I love some nice thick thighs, and most guys I know do too. I also like thighs in general, regardless, but yeah.

I think I've mentioned this book in nearly every post I've made today,but buy New Rules of Lifting for Women. I finally got through it myself (figured I would read it since I respond to so many women on this site asking for good programs). The workout program is probably more complicated than it needs to be in my opinion, but the information in the book is great.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm so sad to learn that men aren't noticing my lovely, lovely shoes :cry: At least I love them all :heart:
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I notice the same thing whenever I have returned to exercise after a hiatus. It seems to me that the muscle fibers get tigher and more compact, "pushing" the fat to the subcutaneous level in certain areas (especially for me on the inner and front of thighs)... this is temporary, though, as continued working out eventually burns down those pesky pockets of fat, leaving lean and toned legs.

Like some have mentioned here, patience is key. I compare getting my body in shape to cleaning out the cupboards or tackling the 'junk room'... things always look a bit worse before they look better!

Clearly, I'm no health expert, just basing this on multiple experiences with the "suddenly rubbing thighs" phenomenon.

Hang in there, they will go down, whether it's water weight or fat being redistributed there until it's burned off! :)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Thank you. I'll just take it in stride and keep going.

I see what you did there.
  • jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened with my sister. She was always about 120 lbs at 5'5. She had put on weight during her pregnancy, lots of weight, 60 lbs and couldn't get it off. She never worked out in her life to stay thin so losing weight was new to her. She exercised like crazy, got down to 135 and she looked fantastic, better than when she was 120 but she complained about her thighs rubbing. You couldn't tell they were rubbing by looking at her walk but she insisted that they were. So, I don't know what happens. Maybe because she didn't lose all the weight she gained?

Anyway, try not to let little things like that discourage you :smile:
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The day after my body pump class i always weigh more and drink so much then on the evening im running to pee every 5 mins but by the next day everything is back to normal. think maybe you have water weight in your thighs, get on the water to flush it out.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Wearing tights or thin, nylon shorts helps (make things more comfortable)!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Kind of detailed.

So I have been losing size in my body overall, especially my lower to mid-thigh area. However, I woke up today and my upper inner thighs seem to be rubbing together when I walk.

I don't necessarily want a "gap" between my legs, but my upper inner thighs seem to have this seal fat in them that doesn't want to go away.

I thought I was making progress. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I am walking with my legs closer together now because of the mass lost in other parts of my legs. Did any other women ever encounter this problem?

If they are just now starting to rub, than you are probably right in thinking that you have lost mass in other parts of your legs, bringing them closer which allows your upper thighs to touch. This means you are making GREAT progress IMO! :drinker:

The thigh gap thing is pretty arbitrary unless you have an ED :ohwell: . Very slim women's legs often still tough at the top. It depends on a lot of things, including where your body likes to keep its fat reserves, how wide your hips are, and how your bones sit in the hip sockets. So - no worries! :smile: