winter running shoes - minimalist

Options
ok, i've spent a few hours on google, and checking online with local running and sports outlets, and i can't come up with a good idea on what type shoe i should get.
i was thinking they ought to be waterproof, or at least quite water resistant, since my town tends to be a bit slow on snow removal.

i am eyeing the vibram lontra's, which neither mec nor sportscheck carry. the running store can probably get it in for me though, but from what i've read, they are a bit hard to get into and also don't breathe very well.

so before i order anything, i figured i'd ask if anyone here has a shoe they'd recommend. maybe the merrell pace glove or something? (i just found a review for the merrell pulse glove and that sounds exactly like what i am looking for - alas, noone seems to have them anymore...)
i am not so much worried about warmth, but i don't want to run in wet shoes (my current vibrams get wet SO fast...)

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you are gonna find a waterproof shoe unless you went with a heavy duty trail shoe. A good water repellent spray should help a ton on regular shoes. I currently run in VFF's, Merrill gloves or Inov-8's. We'll see how they hold up thru the winter. If you go with a non-toe separating shoe, smart wool makes a GREAT winter running sock.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    So long as you know what I underfoot or the snow is packed and firm, it is actually quite pleasant and kinder on the soles of your feet to just run barefoot. Just make sure you know what is under the snow if it is not firm.

Also, your feet are warmer like this than wrapped in waterlogged fancy footwear.

I choose smooth pavement or the beach water-line in winter and run no longer than 30-45 minutes. It rarely get so cold that I feel too cold in the feet once I warm into the run.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    So long as you know what I underfoot or the snow is packed and firm, it is actually quite pleasant and kinder on the soles of your feet to just run barefoot. Just make sure you know what is under the snow if it is not firm.

Also, your feet are warmer like this than wrapped in waterlogged fancy footwear.

I choose smooth pavement or the beach water-line in winter and run no longer than 30-45 minutes. It rarely get so cold that I feel too cold in the feet once I warm into the run.
    well, i've only lived here a year, and didn't run last winter, but i distinctly remember loads of salt, and inches of slush. some standing water too. i may just end up picking up some trail shoes and seeing how they hold up... i don't even want to think about what the salt will do to the shoes, but i am not sticking my bare feet into it, that's for sure...

thanks for the replies btw :happy:
  • snsmyth
    snsmyth Posts: 36
    Options
    I have two kinds of Merrell gloves and love them.