diet pills, shakes, meal replacements ....

Options

Replies

• crk910
    crk910 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use Plexus Slim, and Accelerator. They help me curb cravings, balance my blood sugar, and cholesterol and lose weight.
    I dont do anything but that , count calories and Exercise.

I know alot of people on here are against using supplements, but I kid you not since being introduced to Plexus, my cholesterol has dropped 50 points and my Dr reduced my cholesterol meds, and my Triglycerides just about were cut in half.

It works for me, and I plan on sticking with it.
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I used a meal replacement shake before however I only used it if Im in a hurry and need to head out. The only thing that I can say that works for me is protein shakes taken after a workout or before bed time. I noticed that I wont be as sore as much when getting up in the morning.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Pills are not my thing, I think they are unnecessary and frankly not worth the side effects.

The others I use occasionally within my calories, although I mostly use protein bars as snacks at this point.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've been taking the Advocare MNS Max 3 for about six months. It's super expensive, but I feel awesome on them. I don't feel like I need a nap at 3 everyday and the big munchie's are gone. I also take the Catalyst before my work outs. I can feel the difference in my legs and motivation, especially when I'm running. They have a meal replacement shake that's 220 cal, but fairly high in sugar (12g), (24g protein). I don't take it everyday. Only when I know I'm going to be missing a meal or travelling...so I don't feel the need to stop for gas station food or fast food.

I've never taken any diuretic type diet pills, just supplements. I seem to have found a combination that really works for me and makes me feel really good inside.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I use EAS AdvantEdge protein drinks pretty frequently. 100-110 cal, 17g of protein, 2g net carbs. I work long hours some days and don't get a chance to actually stop to eat- these things are great for times like that, especially. I used to just not eat at all, by time I would get home in the evening, I wanted to eat my arm.

How are they? I'd like a shake that's not full of sugar that I can enjoy on occasion when I'm on the run with my toddler or at work between patients in the middle of the night.

@BabyNurseJen I use Jay Robb's 100% Whey protein in Vanilla:

•Sourced from grass fed cows not treated with rBGH (Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone)
    •25 grams of protein per serving!
    •Lactose-Free
    •Non-GMO (made with lecithin from Non-GMO sunflower seeds)
    •Gluten-free ingredients
    •No fat, No cholesterol
    •No sugar, No aspartame
    •No artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners
    •No casein, No MSG
    •Made with stevia
    110 calories per serving

Also voted "best tasting."
  • shainafay
    shainafay Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started taking v3 a few weeks ago. I was really tired all the time even though I got the recommended amount of sleep. The v3 gives me energy for the day (no crash) and curbs my appetite a lot. Which is great because I will eat chocolate for every meal if I can lol. I still eat 1400 cal a day and it makes me crave water and make healthier choices. I don't sell it or anything but its all natural and has really helped me jumpstart my lifestyle change.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    No diet pills, just real food.

I sometimes make smoothies, but I consider that real food. It's how I use up overripe bananas. :-)
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology; I like it because it's comprised of real food ingredients. I don't use it as a tool to lose weight, I use it because it's healthy and I feel great using it.

But no one NEEDS Shakeology to lose weight or feel better. Some people like shakes and others don't. Just depends on your preference. I eat up to seven times a day so Shakeology is one time out of the day I ingest calories, and it works great for me.
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Actually you can compare those things to a patch when giving up smoking - a prop which has been produced by opportunists. And whether they work or help is very doubtful. Protein shakes are very pure in protein - but what other rubbish do they have in them? Ugh!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit + exercise = free success.

this.

I take protein- when I remember to buy it after it runs out- usually I forget and go without it for sevearl months then realize I'm not eating enough protein and I miss it in my yogurt. I refuse to buy the fancy ones too- I use gold standard. Big thumbs up my IFBB pro friend... so yeah- I'm good.

most people don't' need all the crap they are 'supplimenting'... they just need to gasp.. I'm going to say it... eat less- move more.
  • BabyNurseJen
    BabyNurseJen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the shake suggestions.

Regarding pills, I've taken adderall for years. I've stopped during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Starting again it does suppress my appetite for about 2 days. After that, it does nothing. It makes me wonder how effective appetite suppressing pills can possibly be.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I use Plexus Slim, and Accelerator. They help me curb cravings, balance my blood sugar, and cholesterol and lose weight.
    I dont do anything but that , count calories and Exercise.

I know alot of people on here are against using supplements, but I kid you not since being introduced to Plexus, my cholesterol has dropped 50 points and my Dr reduced my cholesterol meds, and my Triglycerides just about were cut in half.

It works for me, and I plan on sticking with it.
    sure, not that the exercise and calorie reduction had ANYTHING to do with it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

sure, not that the exercise and calorie reduction had ANYTHING to do with it.

of course not- that would be just silly and logical.

get out of here you... with that logic of yours. no room for that here on MFP!!!
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    i count calories and exercise, but I just ordered some redline hardcore ultra pills to hopefully help take the edge off my crazy appetite i have sometimes and also to give me more energy at the gym. obviously not a long term solution, but i'm hoping it'll help get me over the hump.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I drink Almased for breakfast quite often because I tried so many different protein powders and making my own shakes but they were all gross. I add coconut water, ground flax and vanilla sometimes. It is very filling, helps A LOT with my protein for the day, low sugar, gives me energy and tastes great. People will say don't do crap you won't for life but this stuff is awesome so I have added into my lifelong eating habits, just like some people do with their regular protein powders.
    Ever since I have, I have been losing 1-2 pounds per week consistently for 6 or so weeks now.
  • rockstar2b66
    Options
    Protein shakes are great! Add in some whey protein powder, soy milk, and fruit/veggies and you're not even replacing a meal with that, IT IS A MEAL ITSELF. I use them especially because I have a hard time keeping the protein that I need for my body. Or it's just great for after a workout. Pills on the other hand, is a different story. I won't lie, I have used them in the past before I started on here, but the ones that worked it was mainly water weight, and the side effects were so bad I couldn't take them very long. I've been working out and eating right the last couple months and yes I've slipped up and overate on my calories a couple times, but I've lost most of the weight this way as opposed to a couple pounds using diet supplements.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    No pills, no shakes, no meal replacements. I eat food in the correct quantities and exercise. I can have a decent meal for the same calories as a lot of the meal replacement shakes so why bother. My daughter in law sells on of the MLM brands and gave me one to try. I made it about 8 am, by 10 I was ready to gnaw my leg off hungry. I think a good lot of the effectiveness of this stuff is mind over matter. You think you drank a very expensive, healthy meal replacement therefore you must be satisfied.
  • collegegirl713
    collegegirl713 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I did Advocare 24 day Challenge and I was fairly impressed. I did change my diet (not exercise), but not enough to lose 9 lbs in 24 days and lose body fat (I can't remember the percentage), but I do like the chocolate meal replacement shake (220 cal, 24 g protein) and I mix it with some frozen fruit when I run out of time. I have a 13 month old and I don't always have the time to make a healthy meal for myself. There is one other supplement they offer called Catalyst that helps with my workouts. I have more endruance and I don't seem to get as sore. (P.S. I don't sell this stuff...just telling it like it is!)
  • cjohn2278
    cjohn2278 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating at 5am before I go to the gym so I have started making a protien shake and drinking it on the way...I don't use it as a meal replacement, it is just an extra boost so I am not working out on an empty stomach :)
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I have a protein smoothie for breakfast every morning: protein powder, 1% milk, 1 heaping spoonful of full fat Greek yogurt, and then as much frozen fruit as will fit into the cup before blending. I have that along with a coffee because it tastes good and it keeps me full--no other reason.

I will eat protein bars occasionally as well--sometimes as a midday snack if I'm really hungry and have a lot of calories left, sometimes before bed (I work out right before bed). Sometimes I'll have 'real' food instead. Depends on what I feel like, how hungry I am, and how many calories I have left.