how do you do it????

Options
Hi All

I have been staying under cals and swimming 3 times a week - and have put 2 lb on - i am measuring as much as i can

I would be really grateful if you would share with me what you eat how much you exercise to acheive your losses each week....

Really disheartenned that i have put 2lb on - help!!!!

Replies

• AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    Are you drinking plenty of water? How far under your calories are you eating? It could be that you're not getting enough! My loss got more consistent when I raised my calories by a bit. Hang in there - it will work - you just might have to tweak things here and there until you find the right formula for you!
  • tammyhoff2004
    Options
    As much as you probably don't wanna hear this, you really need to workout at least 30 mins a day, every day. :grumble: I know for myself that I didn't like that but now that I've made it my daily habit, it's no big deal. I've lost 22 lbs in just 6 weeks so I know I can do this. :happy: This has been the most awesome life change I've ever experienced. I know that for the rest of my life I will be counting calories. Jillian Michaels said that you have to do these things for a lifetime. I'm so happy that someone created a program that we can have access to. I've made friends that will be here forever. The best thing is that it's free!!! Don't be discouraged but push yourself to do more to make that scale change!! God bless you on your weight loss journey!! :flowerforyou:
  • bgriffin73
    Options
    After watching Covert Bailey on PSB years ago, he is was a fitness/nutritional expert. He said there was something about swimming that it does not work for weight loss. I have seen a HS swimming practice and they are out of the pool doing all sorts of cardio and weight lifting exercises. Try walking or cardio exercises at the Gym for a week or two and see what happens.
  • Tuna196
    Tuna196 Posts: 1
    Options
    I used to swim competitively in highschool and college, and I can tell you that, while swimming is GREAT exercise and you will be very fit, you will gain a lot of muscle mass. I do triathlons now and have notice that when you pair running or biking with the swimming, that you can stay leaner. Swimming will bulk you up...depending on how much/hard/frequent/etc you do it. maybe after your swim try for a 20-30 min walk or jog?? Don't get discouraged by the scale right now! You will get there, and plus, you are making your body healthy and swimming is better for your joints anyways :smile: !
  • unocentavo
    unocentavo Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree with Tuna. You most likely gained some muscle, which weighs more than fat. Keep your calories under and keep exercising. That 2lbs will go away and take another 2 with it in a couple weeks.
  • AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
    Options
    Calories definitely isn't the only thing that helps you loose weight. How's your sodium intake? Are you getting a balanced diet? IDK I can't see your diary to help you even though I don't always make the best choices. Like yesterday EEEk but you can look at my dairy I took a few weeks off from logging in so you might have to go back a bit. But I try to eat raw foods I try to limit my processed food in take. Fresh fruits and fresh veggies. I try and limit breads, cheese (that is hard for me so when I do eat I try to eat low fat cheese) I find getting 2-3 glasses of skim milk a day help me loose weight. I try to have a baked potato a day to get my potassium at the right levels. It's a struggle everyday for me to stay on task and make good healthy choices. Some weeks I gain a pound some weeks I loose nothing. I don't log them. Actually if I am not loving what the scale says I stay away from it for a few weeks. Focus on the food I am eating. And the workouts that I am doing. Then I will go back to the scale in a few weeks. The scale definitely doesn't help me stay on target. It makes me think oh wow I lost 2 lbs well then one day of bad choices isn't going to hurt me. But it always does. So not knowing my weight some how keeps me focused I'm weird I know. But that's what works for me. Also the only thing I drink besides that few glasses of Milk is water all day and all night and during my workouts. Oh and I try to really measure everything. I wasn't measuring my milk thinking I was drinking 8ozs I would gauge how big I thought the glass was. I was wrong and was drinking closer to 12-16oz
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    My two sense:

1. You do NOT need to exercise everyday to see results. If you were completely sedentary and recently started up, please build up to the 30 min/day everyday. Going in too quickly is not good for you.

2. You probably did not gain 2 pounds of muscle - it takes a LOT of effort to gain muscle while eating a calorie deficit. Most likely it is water retention from a combination of sodium and water retention in your muscles due to you using them more/making them stronger.

3. Are you getting your period? This can also lead to mroe water retention. Drink lots of water for the next few days, that should help flush you out.

4. Stick with it!! Especially if this is a new change to your body, it may take a while (few weeks) to adjust to your new lifestyle. Keep at it, the weight will come off!

Edit: Just wanted to say muscle does NOT weight more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound is a pound. Now, a pound of muscle is smaller in size then a pound of fat, so you may have gained muscle but lost fat, leading to a decrease in inches or something... hope this helps!!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    This is precisely why I don't weigh my clients for at least a month or 6 weeks into their program. Most people gain before they lose. That is because it is much easier to build muscle then it is to burn fat. Keep up with the program and don't stress the weight, yet.

FYI: All it takes to build a pound of muscle is an over load on that muscle (working it more then you use to work it) and 600 calories. That's a lot easier then burning 3500 calories from stored body fat. Considering the added resistance of water over doing the same movements in air, and that most people underestimate their calorie intake, it's most likely that the added weight is muscle.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My two sense:

1. You do NOT need to exercise everyday to see results. If you were completely sedentary and recently started up, please build up to the 30 min/day everyday. Going in too quickly is not good for you.

2. You probably did not gain 2 pounds of muscle - it takes a LOT of effort to gain muscle while eating a calorie deficit. Most likely it is water retention from a combination of sodium and water retention in your muscles due to you using them more/making them stronger.

3. Are you getting your period? This can also lead to mroe water retention. Drink lots of water for the next few days, that should help flush you out.

4. Stick with it!! Especially if this is a new change to your body, it may take a while (few weeks) to adjust to your new lifestyle. Keep at it, the weight will come off!

Edit: Just wanted to say muscle does NOT weight more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound is a pound. Now, a pound of muscle is smaller in size then a pound of fat, so you may have gained muscle but lost fat, leading to a decrease in inches or something... hope this helps!!

This!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    My two sense:

This!

I also agree with THIS!
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I know how discouraging it can be to put on two pounds. Usually when that happens to me I find that it is water weight and if I just keep doing what I am doing it goes away. You didn't say how often you are weighing but for me I try not to weigh more than once a week or even better, once a month.:flowerforyou: I am just coming off of a plateau and what helped me was to change up my exercise a little. I had gotten hooked on the elliptical (still love it) but it seemed to help adding in some bike rides and hill walking. Don't stress too much, it will come off.
  • jac2lyn
    jac2lyn Posts: 90
    Options
    If you love swimming then I saw keep doing it, but maybe only twice a week. Then add in walking twice a week with a little light weight usage on other days. I would say at least 30 minutes a day. Also remember that things like gardening count as exercise. Drink plenty of water, at least 8 cups a day and do not forget that you need to eat enough to lose weight and keep your body happy, but do not overeat. Adding fruit also helps!! Good Luck
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    My two sense:

Thank you for this!! I get so tired of seeing people say you've gained weight due to gaining muscle. It is true I ALWAYS gain weight when I start working out, but I know it is from my muscles retaining water to repair the tiny tears in the muscle caused by the exercise. Love it when people do their research and don't just throw out answers that sound good.:flowerforyou:
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    this site and the people here :flowerforyou: changing my lifestyle of eating also didnt start really any form of exercise / cardio till at least 8 months into it when i lost about 20 lbs then i started 15 -30 min on exercise m-f now unto this p90x as of july 11 2010 which puts all my results till then from mfp alone with lil exercise .... now exercise time is 1hr a day for the program 7 days good luck :drinker:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I have been staying under cals and swimming 3 times a week - and have put 2 lb on - i am measuring as much as i can

I would be really grateful if you would share with me what you eat how much you exercise to acheive your losses each week....

Really disheartenned that i have put 2lb on - help!!!!

I run on the treadmill three times per week and do a long walk for a fourth exercise session. I am on 1200 calories per day, I do not eat my exercise calories. I am 11 weeks into my weight loss programme and have lost 25lbs so far. Only one week no weight come off, the rest of the time I have lost some poundage.
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I know how frustrating this can be! This was what happened to me in the beginning. I would exercise, eat well, drink all of my water and GAIN!! Then, I noticed when I didn't exercise, I lost. I was so irritated that I wanted to give up. I mean, why exercise if I going to gain? I kept it up though and finally started losing. I believe that it's your muscles retaining water. Keep doing what you're doing and you're going to start losing soon.
  • mekhala
    mekhala Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH EVERYBODY !!!!

renewed motivation - i am going to eat 1700 cals, watch my sodium and log every day, not going to eat my exercise cals for a few weeks and see if that helps. Also going to go swimming twice a week, and go for a ride the rest of the week for 30 mins, and build up - have just started back at th gym too, get my new programme on wednesday.

Will start walking or rising to work - Thanks again everyone, this is great and has really helped me.

xxx
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    thanks for all the advice everyone! i can definitely agree it's super disheartening when the scale doesn't budge after a good week of working out and eating right! but i'm not giving up! i can do this (and so can all of you!!)! :)