Need help finding correct daily calorie goal

Options
MFP set me at 1750 a day to lose 2 lbs/week. I have my info set to sedentary.
I am having a lot of trouble following this goal though. I am trying to make a change into a healthy lifestyle gradually so I can continue going. My job is actually semi-active (I'm on my feet for entire 12 hr days, walk a lot, etc). By the time the day is over I'm either starving or craving something after running around all day. Online TDEE calculators say my TDEE is 2700ish.. Could I still lose weight eating 1900 calories a day? It's just been hard for me to find that comfortable area of where its plenty for me to be satisfied and also I'm eating healthy foods, etc etc. I'm imagining that once I get smaller I will need less to be satisfied (hoping so anyway). Any help would be great.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Highly possible. I lose eating an average of 1886 calories per day. (1500 on lazy days, 2000+ on active days)

Why don't you set your MFP goal to 1lb per week loss and make sure to eat some of your exercise calories back (it's how MFP is designed)?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight eating at 1900 cals when your TDEE is 2700. That is an 800 calorie a day deficit which should result in just over 1.5 pounds per week.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MFP set me at 1750 a day to lose 2 lbs/week. I have my info set to sedentary.
    I am having a lot of trouble following this goal though. I am trying to make a change into a healthy lifestyle gradually so I can continue going. My job is actually semi-active (I'm on my feet for entire 12 hr days, walk a lot, etc). By the time the day is over I'm either starving or craving something after running around all day. Online TDEE calculators say my TDEE is 2700ish.. Could I still lose weight eating 1900 calories a day? It's just been hard for me to find that comfortable area of where its plenty for me to be satisfied and also I'm eating healthy foods, etc etc. I'm imagining that once I get smaller I will need less to be satisfied (hoping so anyway). Any help would be great.

MFP calculated 1750 based upon 2 pounds per week (a 1,000 calorie deficit ....everyday) ...and sedentary.

TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) should be based upon ALL your activity. This is maintenance. If you went to 1900 calories that would be a 2700 - 1900 = 800 calorie deficit each day. Not 2 pounds a week ....but pretty close.

Anything less that 2700 ...should have you losing some weight. Weight loss will not be linear. As you get smaller you will need to step down your goals. Because I am close to goal....I'm happy with 1/2 pound a week.... that's a 250 calorie deficit each day.

It's about staying on the track long term. If 1750 is not sustainable....don't do it. Find a pace you can live with.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    MFP way you will need to eat 1750 plus the calories your burn from exercise. So when you exercise you get to eat more and still should be able to lose 2lbs a week.

TDEE method you can subtract at most 20% to create a deficit and you eat that amount everday and do not eat back your exercise calories because it should be accounted for. You can subtract less than 20% at first and increase later when you hit a plateau.