Doctors make me crazy!

Options
My doctor while okay with me using Plexus Slim to assist me in weight loss, and balancing my Cholesterol doesnt want me to be on it long term..

However he has no problem prescribing people Statins for long term use with side effects such as the following.
More common
•Difficulty with moving
•muscle or bone pain
•muscle stiffness
•pain in the joints
•pain, localized
Less common
•Arm, back, or jaw pain
•chest pain or discomfort
•chills
•cough
•dark-colored urine
•diarrhea
•difficult or labored breathing
•ear congestion
•fast or irregular heartbeat
•fever
•general feeling of discomfort or illness
•headache
•loss of appetite
•muscle cramps or spasms
•muscular tenderness, wasting, or weakness
•nasal congestion
•nausea
•runny nose
•shivering
•sneezing
•sore throat
•sweating
•swollen joints
•tightness in the chest
•trouble with sleeping
•unusual tiredness or weakness
•vomiting
•wheezing
Some side effects of pravastatin may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:

More common
•Stomach pain
Less common
•Acid or sour stomach
•belching
•bloated full feeling
•blurred vision or other changes in vision
•difficult or painful urination
•difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)
•dizziness
•double vision
•fear or nervousness
•feeling sad or empty
•increased urge to urinate during the night
•irritability
•loss of interest or pleasure
•pain in the chest below the breastbone
•passing gas
•rash
•stomach discomfort or upset
•stuffy nose
•tiredness
•trouble concentrating

and my personal favorite
Oncologic side effects including hepatocellular carcinomas and malignant lymphomas have been associated with pravastatin in animal studies.

Since starting Plexus the only side effect I have had is weight loss.
This makes me angry beyond words!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Just because they're possible side effects doesn't mean they're common.
    Also, animal studies don't always translate well to humans.

How come all your posts are about Plexus? Do you sell the stuff?
  • realmeryl16
    realmeryl16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Statins are for people with high cholesterol levels. Of course doctors are okay prescribing those long term, because the effects of hypercholesterolemia are worse than the side effects you mentioned.

There is not drug that has no side effect. Don't always trust online sources.
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    prescription drugs have been tested and researched to be relatively safe long term - whereas diet products such as Plexus has not been tested by unbiased research so the long term safety of the product is not known, that is why doctors say to not be on it long term.
    with prescription drugs the risks and benefits are known, and can be determined if it is right for you and will not interact with other products.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    How come all your posts are about Plexus? Do you sell the stuff?

So sad, now I don't even believe your post is anything more than advertising. I don't believe your doctor said this to you. you may not even have a doctor for all I know
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Side effects of high cholesterol however include myocardial infarction, strokes and sudden cardiac arrest - incidence of which has dropped significantly since widespread introduction of statins, whilst side effects from the drug itself are rare.

Patients drive doctors crazy, I suspect you are probably one of them
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Anyway I was curious so I had to research this miracle drug. Yes it's just overpriced green coffee bean extract. Which is a scam anyway, I don't know why your doctor would have a problem with you taking this, doesn't your Dr. watch Dr. Oz? Jeeeeepers!
  • crk910
    crk910 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    haha
    Was just stating my opinion. You all are entitled to yours!

Believe what you like, it doesnt change anything.

Because I mentioned something im automatically selling it..... i dont recall linking a website or anything.

And not for nothing, im also calorie counting and exercising so no need to jump on the bandwagon here. I am just frustrated with the medical field in general.